2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know where I can get "Two Little Birds" by Frank Hutchens? I can`t find them anywhere in the USA and it is frustrating trying to find it. Can any of the Australian piano teachers please help with advice or if anyone here in the US know where I can get a hold of a copy? Thank you.

LEARNING AND IMPROVING NEVER STOPS. It would be boring if it did.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Feminicricket. I would have thought it was out of print, although a number of his pieces were reprinted a few years ago. All the Hutchens pieces I own I've picked up at second-hand music sales, or at this terrific second-hand music shop in Sydney called Da Capo.

Actually, give me a little time and I'll see what I can search out. smile

I'm pleasantly surprised to see Frank Hutchens mentioned here - I'm sure it's the first time! The teacher I had in my teens was a student of his, and I also know a pianist who has recorded a whole lot of his pieces. For many years Frank Hutchens and Lindley Evans were well-known in Australia as duo-pianists. They both wrote music which was played by countless piano students in the 1950s, but which faded out of fashion in the 1970s.

Du holde Kunst...
T
T
I was just playing a Frank Hutchen's piece ('Evening') yesterday! smile

Currawong, you're right, the Australian Music Centre says it's out of print. http://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au/workversion/hutchens-frank-two-little-birds/4470

Private piano teacher since 2003
Member:
ASME (Australian Society for Music Education),
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Zephyr Music has it in their catalogue. I think it's one of the pieces which I mentioned were reprinted a few years ago.

Du holde Kunst...
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you, Currawong and Theme & Variations. You are really lucky to have studied with a student of Hutchens!Actually I wrote to Zephyr music and got the e-mail sent back as unreachable. Maybe I will try calling them from here in USA. It`s a real pity that it is out of print and frustrating to find it. I actually tried to ask some youtube users but no replies yet....they probably think I`m being a nuisance. Maybe I should just give up because if it is hard to get it is probably going to be expensive.I`m still fascinated by "Two Little Birds", I think that it is a cute little piece.Isn`t it?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Strange that the email didn't work. If calling Zephyr doesn't work, send me a PM. I might be able to do something, though I don't have a copy myself. smile

Du holde Kunst...
F
OP Offline
F
I just checked my sent mail and I had forgotten to put ".au" for Australia after zephyrmusic.com. Anyway, I have resent it and hopefully I`ll hear from them. You are very kind, currawong. I`ll see if zephyr can help me if not I`ll send you a PM. Thank you so much.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you are lucky, you could find it here (they have a lot of old music in digital format, also out of print), but they are down right now (and apparently they have been down for a couple of days, so it is a major problem)... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

F
OP Offline
F
Thank you! Yes, the site is still down. Maybe because it is a a 'down under' site???

F
OP Offline
F
Sometimes I think it is all about luck when you are looking for music that is out of print. I was looking for "Trinity Chimes" by Walter Decker for years and it was out of print. My teacher had given me a very faded photocopy of it when I was a teen and then I eventually misplaced it and lost it going overseas. I missed it on ebay by weeks and an Australian site wanted a lot of $$$ per page to print. From what I remember it was like $25.00 per page so I did not bother with it. Then one day it was on ebay again for $3.00! I bought it. Patience, luck and suggestions from nice people in Pianoworld forum did it! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for Hutchen`s "Two Little Birds".

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I keep a list of things I'm after (whether out of print or not) and just keep my eyes open at 2nd-hand music sales (one of our classical music radio stations has a number of these per year - fabulous pickings!), op shops, garage sales, junk shops. Over time a surprising number of hard-to-get things have simply turned up (and I don't even do internet shopping). After a while (depending how desperate I am), if they haven't turned up I fork out the big bucks - and music is expensive here!
And then (you know what's coming next...) I find it at the next book sale I go to. laugh

Du holde Kunst...
F
OP Offline
F
Tell me about it! Music is expensive. I have bought many whole books for just one piece in it that I want. Zephyr music replied with:
This item is in stock at $AUD8.95. Delivery charge will be $AUD13.70. So I`m looking at spending $22.65 for one piece of 3-4 page music. Maybe I`ll just pass. I`ve recently spent too much on new books already. It really does add up eventually. I was hoping to get digitally printed ones that I could download and print here for less. Yes, you are right about finding good books at second hand stores....if we`re there in time to grab them. It`s always exciting coming across them. One time I found the original Phantom of the Opera book for $1.00 here. I was lucky. Anyway, thanks for all your help, I`ll just have to hold off getting the music for now.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't know if you are still coming here, but the site is working now, and unfortunately they don't have it online, although it is available in many libraries throughout Australia... frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

F
OP Offline
F
Thank you, ChopinAddict.I went to that link but I think that the site is more for Australians to borrow the books. Am I right? Like some libraries here in the USA. The music store I contacted wanted a $30 something(total with book) to register and send the music(I live in a apartment and sometimes parcels are just left outside the door when they don`t fit in the main mailbox). I am just gong to pass up on getting the music because it is too costly for 3 pages. Maybe I`ll come across it one fine day. Pity that it is not public domain music. Meanwhile I `ll have to stop watching anyone playing it on youtube or it is going to occupy my thoughts and give me sleepless nights! Actually I think I can figure out the notes...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, if you want to borrow the book you have to live here, but I hoped they had it in their digital collection, as they also have scores available online, but I assume they must be in the public domain in order to be available online. frown
If I ever find it at a book sale I will let you know. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
They also have it here , but shipping costs might be high... Unfortunately it is always so from other countries.
I want to buy the Cooper edition of Beethoven Sonatas from a shop in the UK, and standard postage is actually cheap, but with signature it is incredibly expensive, over 60 dollars! So I will use standard postage. If they don't arrive, they are supposed to give me a refund anyway...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

F
OP Offline
F
Thank you. Yes, music from UK is always very expensive in pounds and the exchange rate. More reason to really learn them up after spending so much on them. I have always used the music I spent a lot of money on and they have been well worth it.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission