2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 54 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 53 54
S
S
Hey guys new to the forums- intermediate to advanced player here, looking to make new friends and share the love of music!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Kronion, Alan W. and Swofford -

Welcome aboard !!!

Don't hesitate to jump right in !!! New voices and perspectives are always appreciated here !!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
S
Thanks for the welcome! I'd love to start posting some recordings soon!

F
F
Hey guys, my name is Francisco Scalco, i'm brazilian and i've been playing piano since i'm 3 years old. The past few years I really focused in music, practicing everyday at least 2 hours, normally 3. I'm looking here for guidance in how i can study piano without one, since i'm doing an exchange program in France (6 months)

Kreisler #1959252 09/15/12 01:38 PM
A
A
Hello everyone, My name is Alper and im new here smile I need the sheet music of a video, i tried to do it by my ears, but im not so good on it, its only 35 second, can anyone help me please ? Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvqB4XnP79A&feature=related Need sheet music of it (i mean piano notes, sry for my English) Thanks for any help, im really tired while trying to get it... smile

Last edited by Alper; 09/15/12 01:39 PM.
G
G
Gavin Brown here, pianist and composer, just joined, hello all!

R
R
Hello!

My name is Alexv Rolfe. I'm a conservatory trained percussionist and an amateur piano player. I'm working free lance in the Madison area and also will be trained as a barista in the coming weeks ( a right of passage! )
I'm starting to get back into playing keys a bit, just for my own benefit. I played all through high school and then promptly stopped as I entered college, focusing all my time on my studies. Now I'm just trying to regain some lost ground at a casual pace.
My main interests are in the very old and very new musics, so I'm hoping to tackle some Scarlatti, Buxtehude, and some of the Schoenberg Op. 19 in the next year or so. I'm also arranging Debussy's Images, Bk. 1 for marimba duet smile maybe I'll post that if I can get a partner in crime to help me out.

Looking forward to participating in all the stimulating discussions I've seen here!

-Alexv
I
I
Hi i am also new and am rather young, specifying my age age could get me some unwanted attention!, currently I am studying beethoven's sonata in E major, his rondo op.51, debussy's gradus et parnassum, my first bach prelude and fugue, book 1, c minor, I am also studying all of Bartoks childrens book, and last but not least; Chopin nocturne in F minor op.55 no.1 (I am not yet 14

P
P
Hi everyone! I'm new here, but not new to the piano (either acoustic or digital). Don't know how I didn't find this site before, but here I am.

My name is Chuck (AKA PianoManChuck) and while piano isn't my main bread & butter, I'd like it to be! I own a small business in Los Angeles, play piano in the lobby of a medical building once/week as part of their "acoustic remedies" program, write (compose) music and submit it for film & tv consideration, and put a lot of my music on my Youtube channel (also PianoManChuck).

I have perfect pitch, a near audiographic memory, and play what I hear... I guess you call that "by ear". Been doing that all my life. I do not read music notation anymore in that there's no need for that. Was classically trained from ages 6 thru 15 but that was a different lifetime ago. Bottom line... while others find other ways to keep busy, its piano for me!

I have a Baldwin baby grand piano, and several digital pianos (2 of them are high end). I prefer the digital ones.

That's it for now. Again..... "Hi"!

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
T
T
Hi guys! I'm new here! I feel stupid for not knowing about this site earlier, it could have helped me a lot with my study in music! Well, here I am.. My name is Talitha Hardjuno, I'm 17 years old. I'm currently working on Chopin Op 62 No 2, Chopin Op 10 No 5, Bach WTC 1 No 6 in d minor. Great to be a part of this! laugh

17. Pianist. Bookworm. Shoe addict. Wander and wonder at the same time.
Hi all - music graduate here who played a bit of piano but who hasn't had an instrument to regularly play on since then (6-7 years ago). Just got a Privia and am jumping right back in. I'm probably grade 5-6ish at the moment - would love to get stage where I can play proper piano repetoire. Love Brahms' Intermezzi for example.

Also want to get better to accompany my wife who is a soprano. Being able to sightread the accompaniment for her music would be great - previously I had to listen to a recording and play by ear with mixed results.

Also love prog rock, blues and jazz so lots of skills to learn!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Francisco Scalco
Hey guys, my name is Francisco Scalco, i'm brazilian and i've been playing piano since i'm 3 years old. The past few years I really focused in music, practicing everyday at least 2 hours, normally 3. I'm looking here for guidance in how i can study piano without one, since i'm doing an exchange program in France (6 months)

Well if you are anywhere near to Angouleme you can come over and play on my Sauter.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Hi all,

A im 29 and I'm polish.
I play piano - rather for my self - but I had teacher for many years,
but bad upright piano in my parents flat.
During last 5 years I was only just "inserting the keys down" just to maitain the technic. Now I have my own flat and look for new top-class GP and hope my piano skills will grow up strongly in 2013.

I am piano lover, and I know a lot of piano history, pianists etc.
Hope in two month maybe I will put some films here smile

Hi! I'm from Malaysia, and my English wasn't good. Hope make my English better and practice my piano hard every day.

S
S
Whoops. I already posted a few times in the teachers forum. blush

Anyway I am a 49 year old music teacher. I have a teaching studio in my home with my wife who also teaches piano. I teach piano, guitar, drums, voice, bass, and I have a few rock band classes (no not the game)
Both of us have been teaching for over 30 years.

My musical background started young. I was a Beatles fan from birth, and I always knew I would be a musician.
Sadly I was not put in music lessons until I was well into my teens and already gigging with bands for several years.
So I started teaching myself drums, then guitar. I fell in love with the piano and the sound of Moog synthesizers, so becoming a keyboardist was inevitable.

Once I began playing keyboards my musical influences changed and I became especially enamoured with Yes and Rick Wakeman's playing.
Through high school I had a progressive rock band with a drummer and bass player, where we wrote and improvised most of our material only covering a couple Yes, ELP and Rush tunes. I also played in a band with my older brother most weekends playing country rock and the top 40 of the day for parties, weddings, corporate parties and community dances, which financed buying equipment, and a certain herbal habit I had as a teen.

Once out of highschool my Dad told me to get a job or get out, so I applied at a music store to teach guitar. They knew me as a keyboard player though and needed a piano teacher. I lied to them saying I could read music even though I could not. It was May and the job would start in September, so I got myself a teacher and worked my butt off for 4 months working through to grade 6 Royal Conservatory albeit not taking exams, but still learning the material.
I'm not sure I was a very good teacher the first year or two, but I did ok.
To this day I am still a much better ear player and my sight reading still is not very strong.

I have to admit, I am tiring of teaching, and would sound like a grumpy old man telling you to get off my lawn if I went into detail.

I'm afraid I had become quite lazy and complacent in my own playing until this summer, but right now my passion for music is as strong as ever, and I am working hard to get my playing to the highest level it has ever been.
I'm not nearly as good a player as I would like to be still though, my right hand is pretty good, my left hand is horrid.
In addition to piano I play a 4 keyboard stack of piano, and digital and analog synths, and I am currently putting together a performance of Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII. I haven't set a date to perform the material yet (and I need to add more, the album is only around 40 minutes as it is and I want to do around 90 minutes) and I plan on using my most advanced drum student and bass student to accompany me.

Probably religious discussion is discouraged here, which is fine, but I am also a Shin Buddhist and play piano for Temple services.

Anyway, thats me and my history in a rather large nutshell. smile

Originally Posted by Danielsan
I just wanted to air my grievances and I'm not sure where to do (also don't care). This has to be the worst forum on the internet. There is not one friendly person here. They're all arrogant and rude and will jump down your throat for the slightest reason. They all think they're Arthur Rubenstein incarnate and cannot handle a different in opinion at all. This is why the classical world is in such horrible shape. Because musicians are jerks.

not very positive.. are you?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
H
H
Hi all! I´m new here and I like to introduce myself. I´m 30 years old and live in Sweden. I started to play the piano when I was 9 years old. I took lessons until the age of 18. I played classical and popular music. One of the last pieces I worked on at that time was Rondo Alla Turca (Mozart).

When I was 20, I bought a keyboard and moved to my own apartment. The keyboard was not so nice to play so I played less and less. Time, money and space prevented me to buy a real piano. The following ten years I´ve played very sporadically on my keyboard.

Ten months ago I bought a digital piano, Yamaha Clavinova CLP470PE and I have started to practice again. The first piece I started with was La chevaleresque (Burgmuller). I like my piano a lot and took 14 piano lessons this fall. The pieces I´m working on now is Bacarolle (P.I. Tchaikovsky), Anitra´s Dance (E.Grieg) and Morning Mood (E.Grieg). They are very beautiful and for me they are very challenging pieces.

I´m looking forward to som interesting discussions on this forum!

Helo there!
My name is Birgitte, I am 17 years old, studying music with piano as main subject at something similar to a music, dance, drama high school.

I have played since I was maybe 6 or 7 years old and I really enjoy playing. Just played Clair de Lune for my midterm exam and I am very facinated over the Bach's preludes and fugues. I also enjoy playing a lot of film music.

I think this site can be a great tool to discover more music and get more ideas and answers to my problems and questions.

A
A
I have been lurking for over a month and have decided it’s time to introduce myself. I am a retired English professor (University of Texas at El Paso; retired May 2011), 67 years old. I grew up in South Carolina, went to college and graduate school in New England, and have lived in the desert southwest for the past 42 years.
My mother was a piano teacher, and I probably heard her Steinway model S before I was born. This piano was built in 1939 and purchased by my mother in 1940. I learned to play that piano when I was 6 and took lessons (from a neighbor; my mother wisely decided that she would not be my teacher) through high school. I continued to practice (on everything from ancient uprights to a Steinway D) in college and graduate school, and I took lessons from a fine teacher in El Paso after I started my teaching career. My El Paso teacher persuaded me to perform at her annual recitals—I was her only adult student (I’m guessing she saw me as an object lesson for her students in how the piano could be a lifetime hobby). Among the more difficult pieces I played from memory at those recitals included Debussy “Voiles” and “La Cathedrale Engloute”, Rachmaninoff Etudes Tableaux Op. 33 no. 2, Bach Partita no. 1 (complete) and Fugue no. 2 in C minor from WTC 1, and Beethoven “Moonlight” sonata (complete).
Before I got tenure, I played on a Story and Clark upright (a fairly awful piano); once I had tenure, we purchased a house and my mother shipped her Steinway S out to us. At that time (1977) it was 38 years old and although certainly not comparable to my El Paso teacher’s Steinway B, it was fine as a practice piano.
A little over 20 years ago I stopped playing the piano, largely because of a herniated spinal disk that at the time made leaning forward without back support very painful. Fortunately, after a year of two the disk material was absorbed and no longer pressing against nerves; but because my professional career was increasingly busy, I did not go back to playing. This fall, I decided to have the Steinway S tuned (remember, this was after 20 years of its sitting in the living room unplayed) to see whether I had any skills left. Although my technique was rusty, I found the experience a bit like riding a bicycle again—in a couple of weeks I had Debussy “Claire de Lune,” movement 1 of the “Moonlight,” Gershwin’s Preludes no. 2, and parts of Bach Partita no. 1 in pretty good shape.
I was also surprised both by how good the piano still sounded and how much work I was doing to get it to sound good. I had known 25 years ago that the piano could use new strings, new hammers, regluing of the base bridge, and repairs to the action; I hadn’t realized how much I was compensating for the inevitable limitations of a piano that now is 73 years old. My tuner (Tom Lepinski, who is located between El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM) checked the frame and soundboard pronounced them in good shape. So I decided to go ahead with renovating the Steinway S with a budget of $ 10,000-11,000.
Tom has been working on the piano for almost two months now, and it will be returning to my home on January 3. Tom has restrung the piano, replaced the dampers, reglued the lyre, reglued and repaired the base bridge, replaced the felts on the keybed, hung the new hammers on new shafts and flanges, and will be doing a complete regulation of the action over the next couple of weeks. By the way, all the parts being replaced are from Steinway NYC. I have pictures of the work if anybody is interested. I decided not to have the original ivories replaced (although they are pretty yellow) or to have any cosmetic work done on the case (there are some predictable gaps in the laminate on the Sheraton-style arms). I’m interested in using my money to improve the sound and the predictability of the action, period.
I know from browsing on the boards that the Steinway S doesn’t get much respect, but this of course is a special piano for me—it has always been part of my life. And believe me, it can really sing in the C5 to C7 range. I suspect that it may be one of the last Steinways to have a frame cast by Steinway and to use Adirondack spruce for the sounding board.
I have already contacted a teacher here in El Paso, and once the piano is back I will be taking lessons again. I’m hoping eventually to be able to play Bach’s Prelude and Fugue no. 3 in C# major from
WTC 1, all three Gershwin Preludes, Chopin Etudes Op. 10 no 5 and Op. 25 no 1, and Liszt Sonnet of Petrarch 104. Retirement is going to be even more fun!

Anne'sson
El Paso, TX
B
B
Been playing for about five years. Music theory seems to be my stronger point, but I share just as deep a passion for both. Recently, I've taken up volunteering to teach kids music, so I try to incorporate a bit of the fun music side while teaching of the more complicated theory portion.

I hope to get from this forum the actual anatomy of a piano/how it works. I have the basic idea, but there's always more, isn't there? I'd also like to learn more about how to treat a piano, how to store one and, ultimately, how to select one for a certain environment like the home.

So far, I'm impressed.

Page 32 of 54 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 53 54

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission