2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Being a 'real' musician is not something that can be taught because it is genetically instinctual. What I mean is that a 'real' musician will 'instinctively' know what sounds to play when, and in what order to sound right. It doesn't mean he/she will be able to play those correct notes when needed (because they may not have mastered the acoustic/digital sound reproducing machine....yet!), but over time, they will because they have the ability too. They are built with it from the factory.

A 'real' musician is just that....'REAL'. They are built from the factory with an authentic, musical sound card which gives them the ability and 'potential' to become a very good musician. People with this natural musical ability cannot just sit down and play an instrument perfectly. They do however have the ability (and usually inner desire) to "get it" much faster and with much greater ease than others who do not posses this naturally given musical potential.

(Emphasis is on 'potential') Think of it like this. A very smart 1st grader hasn't learned anything yet but because he is naturally intelligent, the ability and potential to learn new things will come relatively easy to this person since they are bright to begin with. On the other hand, a child who is not as naturally bright will face more difficulty learning the same tasks. It will take them longer to learn it and won't come as easily.

Now it doesn't mean that the child (or musician) won't be able to learn the task (or a musical piece) as they probably will. It will just take longer because it is not something that comes 'naturally' to them.

Also, a 'real' musician (in my opinion) is someone who surrounds themselves with music at every chance because it is just such a huge part of who they are. For example, a musically inclined person may wake up in the morning and within a few minutes, the kitchen radio is on along with a pot of coffee.

During the morning shower either a radio is on (in the shower), or if not, it wouldn't be unusual for this person to already be singing/humming in the shower.

On the drive to work, the radio is on. Many times singing along with the tunes being played.

At work a radio is on softly in the background and you still find yourself humming along at times.

On the weekends doing yard work outside you find yourself bringing along a portable radio to make the work more enjoyable.

When doing work inside the garage (because it is raining outside and your banished to the garage), yup you guessed it, the radio is on in the garage.

I know these things because I AM genetically musically inclined
! My mom sings and hums all day long. Just because there are no instruments around doesn't mean the music has to stop because it doesn't.

Just because it's time to go to bed and get some sleep (meaning it's time to turn off the clock radio on the nightstand) it STILL doesn't mean the music stops but rather it just continues to play in your head!

This inner musicality is something that cannot be taught, (just like you cannot 'teach' someone to like liver!). Sure, you can show someone how to eat liver just like you can show someone how to play piano but that does not guarantee they will like it or be good at it.

Lets not overcomplicate this. If you are a 'real' or 'natural' or 'authentic'....whatever you want to call it musician, you already know it and you didn't just figure it out. You more than likely have been this way your entire life and music has always been a huge part of your life (in various forms) as it is part of your chemical makeup and who you are. You couldn't get rid of it if you wanted to!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's simple really. To me a real musician is someone who makes a living doing music. This can be a teacher or a performer or both. There are some musicians who cannot read but they compose and perform and releases CD's, and they are real musicians. To me most of us in ABF are music students rather than musicians.

OK, then you say how about that friend of mine who played the 2nd Rach concerto for her college recital but went to med school and became a surgeon? Well, nope to me, she is not a 'real' musician. Amateur musicians can often be better than real musicians. When I was in school, a bunch of pre-med were better than some of the music majors. Still, they never became real musicians.

To be a real musician, you have to live the life of a musician and experienced all the BS that comes with being a musician. I know that I'm a real engineer because I live with all the BS that comes with the job, not because I could calculate something for some project.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission