2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Dear Piano World,
I was very interested with studying the piano, but it is too expensive to get, that's why I decided I should get my own personal keyboard, so after reading on the internet, I decided I want a keyboard that works with computers, I want to have a variety of sounds and options and that would be fun making those with the computer, also I want the real feel for the sensitivity. I kept reading about semi-weighted keys, sensitive keys and hammer actions keys, all sorts of things, I'm still confused and not sure what to do,
Since I want to buy something that will be good for the long term, I first considered the Oxygen 61 by M-Audio and then turned to the Axiom 61 which seems to be more complex(?) and have semi-weighted keys.
for the number of keys, I heard 61 will be the ideal number of keys for me to have.
please help and add anything to this information if you may, should I check the Axiom61 out? should I go with the Oxygen61, should I check some other manufacturer's products?
thank you so much in advance! I am looking forward to study the keys and I'm really into doing a hard work for it, please help me find the right keyboard for the long term. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Dor, every keyboard sold today works with computers as they all come with a midi and\or USB port. (If there are exceptions to this you probably wouldn't want to buy the keyboard in question anyway.)

I would recommend having someone who plays for living help you in your purchase.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
DorMatzliah, I have two Axiom keyboard/controllers (one 61 and one 49). They are great for controlling modules or software synths. BUT... they are not really suitable for learning on and developing technique. The action is OK for synth or organ work but not for piano. For a start, 61 keys is too few for serious two-handed playing, and the semi-weighted keyboard will not give adequate control over the wide dynamics available in the more sophisticated piano samples.

I would suggest a hammer-action keyboard. The new Casio PX-150 and PX-350 or the older PX-130 and PX-330 will give you a good action, coupled with USB for controlling software instruments.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I agree with vox. If you're looking to play "keyboard," there are different ways to go, but if you want to play "piano" you should start with a more appropriate action than the Oxygen or Axiom.

Even a Casio CDP-120 will give you 88 weighted key, for the same price as the Axiom. And unlike the Axiom, it even has a few sounds built in, so you can play around on it without the computer, too.

OP Offline
Thank you for your tips.
the problem is the prices are too high at where I live and I want to buy a new one on Ebay to get a better price, but still all of the keyboards you suggested are offered for atleast 500$ which is too expensive for me, I'm able to spend 400$ at most. if there could be another suggestion please tell me, thank you

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes - as mentioned above, you really need 'hammer weighted action' to learn piano. Casio, Korg and Yamaha do reletively cheap ones, of very good quality. Out of those, I would opt for Casio, I think.

All keyboards, apart from toys have computer interface (either MIDI in/outs or USB or both)

However, if even the Casio CDP120 (probably the lowest price for a high quality weighted keyboard) is too expensive and you are already looking at ebay, the obvious solution would seem to be to go second hand, asking advice on this forum, if necessary, when a good prospect comes up on ebay.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
OP Offline
I have considered what you and the other comments and I have searched again and it seems that the price of the CDP120 is in the range of what I can afford to spend, and I will go to a music store to see for myself if this is enough for the cause smile
thank you all for the help, you have been really helpful.
hopefully I will buy me a fine keyboard soon and be able to share music with you smile

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by DorMatzliah
Thank you for your tips.
the problem is the prices are too high at where I live and I want to buy a new one on Ebay to get a better price, but still all of the keyboards you suggested are offered for atleast 500$ which is too expensive for me, I'm able to spend 400$ at most. if there could be another suggestion please tell me, thank you

Ebay is often not the place to get the best price on new items, but there may be nothing suitable new in your price range where you are. It would be a shame to spend $400 on something that doesn't do what you need when $500 would do it for you, so I would suggest either waiting until you save up another $100, or consider buying something used on eBay. Some older models that may appear in your price range would be the Casio CDP-100, PX-100, PX-110 or Yamaha P-85.

OP Offline
I'm going to invest those extra 100$ for the cause smile
I'll be heading to the shop in a couple of days, I'll keep you posted.

OP Offline
Hi again guys. I was checking another store from a certain keyboard and got a recommendation for a keyboard other than the Casio CDP120, it's called the Oxygen 88, what do you say? I want to know if I should even go see it

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission