2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
That is a good plan. I know that pianos at 435 bother me, and 444 is about equally above 440. It is your piano, and you should have it the way you like it.

Semipro Tech
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think it will just mean you need the piano tuned a bit sooner, don't worry too much about it. Take the advice of your tuner though - if (s)he says bring it down gradually, then do that.

I think we're owe you an apology from some on the forum who doubted your authenticity, in the previous thread about buying this piano.

YAMAHA Artist
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by joe80
I think it will just mean you need the piano tuned a bit sooner, don't worry too much about it. Take the advice of your tuner though - if (s)he says bring it down gradually, then do that.

I think we're owe you an apology from some on the forum who doubted your authenticity, in the previous thread about buying this piano.

haha don't worry about it laugh It's funny that no one of those doubters have said something yet:P

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think it's probably when you said that uprights are better than grands. Most people on this forum would disagree.

Actually Chopin preferred uprights because they are quieter, and I'd agree that the Bechstein Concert 8 is one of the best pianos in the world upright or grand. As are the Steinway K, Bosendorfer 130, Steingraeber 138, Bluthner B, Yamaha SU7. Out of these uprights, my soft spot is for the Bechstein and the Bosendorfer. Fine pianos.

YAMAHA Artist
L
OP Offline
L
Do you think I need to have protection for the floor in the pictures because of the 4 wheels. The guy that delivered it said the wheels can damage the floor. Therefore you can see on the pictures i still have not taken of the protection wood on the bottom.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lord Blackmourne
haha don't worry about it laugh It's funny that no one of those doubters have said something yet:P

yes, well you can continue to count me among the skeptics. not necessarily that you haven't come into possession of a new bechstein, but because:

* the piano was evidently delivered by some delivery guy who uncrated it from a damaged box and left it helter-skelter in a room

* it's unplayable, according to you; therefore it didn't receive any dealer prep. where do you acquire a bechstein like that, overstock.com?

* you're on a public forum asking questions that would normally be asked of the dealer you purchased it from. every dealer i know (esp. selling bechstein) would provide complete service and answer any questions after the sale

* your use of the english language indicates to me that it's not your second language but rather you are quite young and immature. how did you come to acquire such an instrument, and from whom?

* there's at least one more piano in that room, a console with a candle on it. don't know what that means except that most folks i know don't have more than one piano, unless they teach.

but whoever's bechstein it is i certainly hope it gets the care and attention it deserves.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Being out of tune won't hurt it. Ideally, you should wait about 4-6 weeks before the first in-home tuning. However, it all depends on how bad it sounds to you, and how long you can hold out. A lot of new pianos don't hold their tuning well, and it's recommended to get it tuned 4 times (or more) in the first year.

Anyway, I'd try to hold out a few weeks and if it still sounds that bad, have it tuned up. Oh yeah, congrats!

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
E
E
Originally Posted by Entheo

* there's at least one more piano in that room, a console with a candle on it. don't know what that means except that most folks i know don't have more than one piano, unless they teach.

Really? Looks like a digital piano in the reflection. I'll bet many on this forum own both digital and acoustic. I had my digital before buying my acoustic piano, and still have it.

In my opinion, your skepticism is unfounded.

Schimmel 130T
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Entheo

yes, well you can continue to count me among the skeptics. not necessarily that you haven't come into possession of a new bechstein, but because:

* the piano was evidently delivered by some delivery guy who uncrated it from a damaged box and left it helter-skelter in a room

* it's unplayable, according to you; therefore it didn't receive any dealer prep. where do you acquire a bechstein like that, overstock.com?

* you're on a public forum asking questions that would normally be asked of the dealer you purchased it from. every dealer i know (esp. selling bechstein) would provide complete service and answer any questions after the sale

* your use of the english language indicates to me that it's not your second language but rather you are quite young and immature. how did you come to acquire such an instrument, and from whom?

but whoever's bechstein it is i certainly hope it gets the care and attention it deserves.

1.The delivery guy just delivered it. He put it in front of the porch. Then we realized that there was a hole in the package. He noted it in his papers, so in a scenario where the piano had been damaged Bechstein would know I did not damage it and I would have the right to a full refund. 1 hour later another guy appeared that I had payed to get the piano into my house.

2. It's unplayable for me because of I am raised with A 440. And if you would know anything about Bechstein you would know they tune ALL their new instruments in 445. I don't know why and I don't like it. My guess is that in germany the standard A is a higher in the same way concerts often uses a higher pitch than 442. I can't tune it right now cause it has to befriend the environment first. The instrument is absolutely astonishing except the pitch it's tuned in.

3. wanted to get more good peoples perspective on the subject.

4. I can assure you I doesn't speak english as my first language. I acquired the piano by paying around 34 000 - 35 000 euro.

5. You have spotted my old digital piano laugh

It's my new Bechstein Concert 8 standing in my house, it is that simple.

Last edited by Lord Blackmourne; 09/13/12 04:27 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
then congratulations are in order.

just one more question -- from whom did you purchase the piano?

guess i have one more question too -- you say you paid "around 34 - 35k euro" -- don't you know how much you paid?

Last edited by Entheo; 09/13/12 04:34 PM.
L
OP Offline
L
To be honest I do not remember the exact number, it was like a month ago I went to the bank :P

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
okay, since you won't answer where you purchased the piano... what's the serial number of your new bechstein? it should be right under the top lid on the plate.

L
OP Offline
L
why? what would you do with that information?

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Lord Blackmourne,

I've got this answer from bechstein about the tuning of my piano.

"As your customer describes, the piano seems to be so out of tune that he cannot play, in that case it may make sense to have it tuned now.
However I suggest to have the piano acclimatize for about 2 weeks after delivery.
As to pitch, please advise him not to tune the instrument down.
We ship the instruments with 445 Hz.
If the instrument is exposed to higher humidity, pitch may rise above 445 Hz.
A quarter tone is about 6 Hz, so if he believes pitch of the piano should be 440, pitch 445 Hz is in fact almost a quarter tone higher.
However, the strings will stretch during the first ½ year and pitch will automatically gradually decline to 440Hz.
Dry environment during winter will contribute to declining pitch.
If he tunes the instrument down now, he will have to raise pitch in about ½-1 year and he causes instability of the tuning."

I cant really understand what he means in the end. First he say that i can have it tuned and then later he says i cant lower the pitch.

would it damage the piano to tune it down in the upcoming days?

can someone fill me in on tuning of a new concert 8 more. I would be eternally grateful.

What I read, in the reply from Bechstein, is that if the piano is out of tune with itself, then have it tuned, but it would be better to keep it at A=445 as the base pitch for the tuning. Tuning the piano is different than a change in pitch. If you are in a climate which uses central heating, the pitch will lower with the decrease in the RH during the winter months.

You could easily use caster cups if you are worried about the wood of the floor.

Congratulations on your beautiful new piano!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

We'd all just be interested that there's a Bechstein retailer out there that will ship an unprepared piano to you in a crate and then not support you with in-home tunings and the like. This is not the way Bechsteins are purchased so that is the reason for the curiosity.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well - to be honest, he hasn't said that the dealer isn't willing to support him. Perhaps he's just asking us for advice to see if the tuning issue is normal - which it is.

That's a Yamaha Clavinova in the reflection, I'd say by the looks of it, a model CLP 340 or 370.

Maybe his parents bought him the piano and he doesn't know exactly what they paid for it? Maybe he stole it
;-) which is highly unlikely.

Maybe it's a friends and he has come on to this forum on behalf of his friend, for advice. Doesn't really matter, we can just answer his questions whatever. That's why we're here.

YAMAHA Artist
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by EssBrace

We'd all just be interested that there's a Bechstein retailer out there that will ship an unprepared piano to you in a crate and then not support you with in-home tunings and the like. This is not the way Bechsteins are purchased so that is the reason for the curiosity.

I am supported by the retailer with tuning and such.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joe80
Well - to be honest, he hasn't said that the dealer isn't willing to support him. Perhaps he's just asking us for advice to see if the tuning issue is normal - which it is.

That's a Yamaha Clavinova in the reflection, I'd say by the looks of it, a model CLP 340 or 370.

Maybe his parents bought him the piano and he doesn't know exactly what they paid for it? Maybe he stole it
;-) which is highly unlikely.

Maybe it's a friends and he has come on to this forum on behalf of his friend, for advice. Doesn't really matter, we can just answer his questions whatever. That's why we're here.

we can speculate all we like, but the problem is that there is something fishy about lord blackmore's threads, beginning with his first one on this topic. i know of no one on this board who would not be willing to disclose the name of the dealer from which they purchased their piano. in fact most would be happy to, considering the joyous event.

and speaking for myself, it DOES matter that we might be supporting a black market acquisition or something less than above board. it has happened here before.

given the dubious trail of information a little vetting should clear this up and allow us to move forward in support with a clear conscience. but the confirmation doesn't come...

L
OP Offline
L
do you guys have any idea how to remove the wooden things on the floor of the piano? can't seem to get them of.

J
J
do you guys have any idea how to remove the wooden things on the floor of the piano? can't seem to get them of.

Your dealer should do that. (Really should have done it already.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission