2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
I constantly feel conflicted between playing something as though I were performing it and practicing it. If I play it with a steady tempo that doesn't really feel like I'm doing justice to specific parts which I need to focus on getting the right touch to the key. But, if I practice it, with a steady tempo, it's suppose to sound as though I'm practicing like I'm performing it, but it really doesn't do justice to those parts which need delicate handling.

So is it right for me to prioritize getting the right touch over maintaining a steady tempo?

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Surely that's a preferential thing? I mean...some (renowned) pianists maintain tempo, others fluctuate wildly...it all depends on what fits for you. Um...it doesn't necessarily follow that which you prefer hearing either; Gould is my favourite pianist but I focus on touch over tempo every time (not that he ignored either wink ). Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Wise Idiot
I constantly feel conflicted between playing something as though I were performing it and practicing it.[...]

I would think that these are two entirely separate but essential items in a practice routine; one doesn't exclude the other. I think that most of our time should be spent "practicing" works in progress, and that doesn't simply mean playing through at a designated tempo, although that, too, can be part of a practice routine. Areas of insecurity should be worked on independently and thoughtfully with the mind engaged in ways of solving technical problems.

You, yourself, seem to recognize that there are "specific parts which [you] need to focus on...." My question to you, then, is why not focus on them? I do get the impression from your post that your idea of practicing is to play through from beginning to end at a tempo other than what would eventually be a performance tempo. That is not intelligent nor productive practicing.

When a work approaches "performance" status, later perhaps than sooner, (which shouldn't preclude occasional early "play-throughs") one should play through a work as though performing it to see that it hangs together structurally and artistically.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
If Bruce and Kreisler wrote a book of their PW comments it would be the best book on piano ever written.
Originally Posted by BruceD
I constantly feel conflicted between playing something as though I were performing it and practicing it.[...]

I would think that these are two entirely separate but essential items in a practice routine; one doesn't exclude the other. I think that most of our time should be spent "practicing" works in progress, and that doesn't simply mean playing through at a designated tempo, although that, too, can be part of a practice routine. Areas of insecurity should be worked on independently and thoughtfully with the mind engaged in ways of solving technical problems.

You, yourself, seem to recognize that there are "specific parts which [you] need to focus on...." My question to you, then, is why not focus on them? I do get the impression from your post that your idea of practicing is to play through from beginning to end at a tempo other than what would eventually be a performance tempo. That is not intelligent nor productive practicing.

When a work approaches "performance" status, later perhaps than sooner, (which shouldn't preclude occasional early "play-throughs") one should play through a work as though performing it to see that it hangs together structurally and artistically.

Regards,

I've actually entertained the idea of editing a book called "Piano World's Guide to Piano Playing" or something like that.

There are a solid dozen or so people here whose thoughts and writings are every bit as good (if not better) than what's commercially available.

I also believe a regular reader of these forums would come away after a year or two more knowledgable about piano than most college piano majors. I know I've learned a tremendous amount. For as much as I've tried to contribute, I feel like I've received twice as much.

With the news as it is of late regarding classical music, the arts, and orchestras in the United States, PW is definitely one of the bright spots that keeps me optimistic about the future of the arts.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
M
If I play it with a steady tempo that doesn't really feel like I'm doing justice to specific parts which I need to focus on getting the right touch to the key.

I agree with Bruce that these are "two entirely separate but essential items in a practice routine." But I love that you are sensitive to different kinds of touch. A lot of pianists these days have a boring palette of different touches that they use.

"A person of any mental quality has ideas of his own. This is common sense."
- Franz Liszt
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
[...] I also believe a regular reader of these forums would come away after a year or two more knowledgable about piano than most college piano majors. I know I've learned a tremendous amount. For as much as I've tried to contribute, I feel like I've received twice as much. [...]

I agree! "Piano World University," I call it. smile

Here are my two cents for the OP:

I constantly feel conflicted [...]

So is it right for me to prioritize getting the right touch over maintaining a steady tempo?

I find that I get most frustrated when my head and ears want something to be "finished," but my hands and fingers aren't even near ready for that. But I don't like to be frustrated when I'm at the piano. That's counter-productive. So, I remind myself that today is today, not tomorrow, and it will all work out given enough time. Then, I take a deep breath and make a decision. How much drilling do I do on this today? How much playing, then? Some days, I decide to drill a part only, and don't "play" it at all. Slow, deliberate drilling. Sometimes with the metronome. The next day when I come back to it, "playing" it actually works! grin Somedays, I do "expression" practice, and don't even try to play cleanly. I'm looking at phrasing and tempo and articulation, mood and character and meaning, no matter how many wrong notes I might hit. That tells me many things, including which places need more drilling. wink It's all good, and it all gets you where you want to go, eventually.

Take the long view. thumb

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 09/09/12 11:48 AM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Remember that rubato is a stylistic trait and is to be used judiciously.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The "right touch" for any passage, phrase etc comes after the technical issues have been resolved, although ideally we have in our minds the touch we are looking for. (A complication here is that as we progress in our understanding of a work our aims might change. Irritating when that could mean a change in fingering. Back to the drawing board, again!)

I know I am fond of quoting Tovey on this forum, but his advice on interpreting the Beethoven sonatas is very wise. One of the things he tends to identify is the passage in a movement which will need a lot of work and might set the tempo. Now, different people might find different passages the most tricky, but we can do this for ourselves. That's the bit which really taxes me: practice that to the speed I'm looking for (not to the exclusion of everything else - too boring) and then the rest will fall into shape.

Yes, I get frustrated when I could play a movement, except for "those one or two passages", but those passages are the key to moving from practice to performance.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B

As I've come to understand it, the former precludes the latter in a pianist's order of operations, not that, as mentioned above, either should be excluded - rather, a certain balance should be striven for.

I posted this what I think was maybe about a week or two ago on another thread, but you may enjoy reading it: Post Practice Improvement (PPI)

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission