2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1956330 09/09/12 10:32 AM
V
OP Offline
V
[Linked Image]

Sound: While shopping around, I always found the Kawai CA/CS series to have the best sound of all the DPs I tried. Much of that is a matter of taste, of course – I personally prefer clear and smooth sounds to gritty or intricate sounds, and don’t mind sacrificing a bit of richness for more clarity. At home, I am still extremely happy with the sound. The piano arrived about a month ago, but I have been away from home much of that time. Every time I come back, it sounds slightly different to me - perhaps that is my ears, or some psychological effect. (This may be similar to how audio enthusiasts say that new stereo kit needs several hours of ‘burn-in time’. This leaves the engineers scratching their heads in puzzlement, and probably can be explained by the brain adjusting to new perceptions.)
I would characterize the sound as clear and solid – with some lovely highs and authoritative basses and a very good middle. If somebody conducted a blind test with several DPs and (mid-level) APs in a room, and blindfolded participants were asked to identify which were DPs, I suspect the CS9 would be identified as an AP more often than not. Turning on the wall equalizer function helps a small amount in making the sound yet more clear. Otherwise, I have kept the factory settings (but will be very interested in trying the TADutchman suggestions for layered instruments).

Action: Some 30 years ago I was at the level of playing intermediate pieces like Beethoven’s sonata 31, but then life, job, and family intervened and I have been pianistically treading water ever since. I am trying to revive this piece, and certainly the superior action of the CS9 helps a great deal. It gives me much more control compared to my (very) old Clavinova, and compared to most uprights I have tried. Normal touch setting makes the keys feel like butter, but I have changed to the heavy setting for more control. This is especially good for pieces where the left hand plays lots of 16th note broken chord accompaniments while the right hand sings on top. I can finally do it properly! The right hand arpeggios in Beethoven 31 are my problem now. They are on mostly black keys, and I am hitting the keys too far away from the ends, where the keys require more force. The longer lever arms of Kawai’s new GF action might help here, but no excuses: I just have to get my fingers and technique back in shape.

Features: Nice to hide away the controls! Record with just one button press – very good for practising and discovering mistakes. Some very nice choir and guitar sounds – ‘ jazz ensemble’ will put a smile on anybody’s face. I like a few of the alternative pianos. I am enjoying new ways of practising – e.g. learning a 16 bar section by repeating it with different instruments, and only using concert grand when I am hitting most of the right notes at mostly the right times. Excellent speakers, by the way, just for docking my mp3 player when I am not playing the piano.
[Linked Image]

Kawai CS-9
V
OP Offline
V
Pictures now work!

Kawai CS-9
S
S
ah you're killing me smile

I need one.

I will go in your sense after trying it in store that it is to me the only DP with the avantgrand N3 that sounds better without headphones. the amplification and resonnance is truely amazing.
when you compare to the cheaper CS6 (same electronics in a smaller package) it is night and day.

Last edited by stephane__; 09/09/12 11:07 AM.
Very beautiful instrument, hard to believe it's not an accoustic piano smile

Last edited by Jean-Luc; 09/09/12 12:52 PM.

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
It looks wonderful! But:

intermediate pieces like Beethoven’s sonata 31

Intermediate? Heaven help us all.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Beautiful! So glad it's providing the inspiration and the means to practice and play again.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for sharing the pics. Kawai have done a good job with the cabinet for sure.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thank you for the review and great pictures. I'm glad to read that you are enjoying the CS9, and that it is allowing you to regain your technique.

If you haven't done so already, you may wish to check that the instrument's software is fully up-to-date. The latest version is currently v1.05, which fixes some issues with the harpsichord sounds.

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/updates.html

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
toddy #1957258 09/11/12 03:01 AM
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by toddy
It looks wonderful! But:

intermediate pieces like Beethoven’s sonata 31

Intermediate? Heaven help us all.

It is intermediate for the first page, then you hit those $£&*(* arpeggios!

Kawai James: Thanks for that! Will look for the latest software upgrade.

Kawai CS-9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission