2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
L
OP Offline
L
why do I see threads all the time praising chopin and liszt but never threads that praise the much better beethoven and mozart?

it's obvious that mozart is the most gifted person in the history of mankind. He is superior to chopin and liszt in every way and still you don't praise him... Is it a hipster thing or what?

Don't even try to argue that chopin and liszt is better than mozart. They aren't. Why do you think mozart is more famous? he wrote better music, His music made a more distinct impression to everyone that listened. Mozart combined a melody that sticks with difficult brilliance, to a level chopin and liszt can't even imagine. Mozart also learned faster as a child which then again proves that he was smarter and more musically gifted.

Do you agree? Please give more mozart and beethoven to this forum laugh

Last edited by Lord Blackmourne; 09/06/12 05:47 PM.
P
P
What are you basing "Mozart is more famous" on? Have you gone and asked everyone in the world who the most famous composer is? Or "better," when music is subjective and requires personal taste?

I agree that Mozart is amazing. In fact, I personally prefer him over Beethoven usually. But none of what you say makes sense from a musical viewpoint except to start an argument that is unnecessary.

Oh, and I do think that people here often post about Beethoven and though to a less degree also Mozart.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
i enjoy Mozart pieces very much, but just the symphonic pieces. although i did play alot of his pieces when i was younger, i ventured out into other composers. For me, most of the mozart piano pieces are hard to listen to, thus keeping me from playing them any longer. Kind of the same with Bach, dont like listening to it but i enjoy playing it.

There are people with the view that Mozart is for kids, but its certainly not. I think the fact that Mozart and Beethoven are not talked about alot in this forum just reflects the general acceptance (or unacceptance)of playing their piano pieces.

I think there was a quote from Vladamir Horowitz during the end of his career in which he Mozart's music was ultimately his favorite. "Mozart expresses more with less notes" - Horowitz

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Lord Blackmourne
why do I see threads all the time praising chopin and liszt but never threads that praise the much better beethoven and mozart?

Because it is a piano forum and both Chopin and Liszt wrote superior piano music compared to Mozart. Beethoven is another story but there is no shortage of praise for him here.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Not everybody is in love with Liszt, mind you. There are plenty of posts here that dismiss the importance of Liszt as a composer. Frankly, I belong to that camp as well. I can't stand those who venerate Liszt as if he were the pinnacle of pianistic achievement. He's not.

Read the threads more carefully. There are always posts in praise of Mozart and Beethoven.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
In general, I think Mozart's piano music has more appeal to an average age greater than the average age of PW posters. It lacks the obvious drama and passion of Romantic music.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/06/12 06:41 PM.
it's obvious that mozart is the most gifted person in the history of mankind. He is superior to chopin and liszt in every way and still you don't praise him... Is it a hipster thing or what?

Why do I smell just another trolling exercise ...

Anyone who has spent any significant time here reading or contributing to the serious musical discussions would know that "the forum" does not in any way dismiss the contributions of either Mozart or Beethoven.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Plenty of love for Beethoven here. Not so keen on Mozart though.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon

Because it is a piano forum and both Chopin and Liszt wrote superior piano music compared to Mozart. Beethoven is another story but there is no shortage of praise for him here.

Time to defend Chopin. whistle

Anyone with a noodle knows that Chopin's music is 'superior' to Mozart's piano music. Even then, I hate saying that.. because they are two totally different artists, in two totally different eras. Mozart was confined by the aristocracy's rules, where as Chopin had all the freedom in the world -- allowing for much more human music. Not to mention by Chopin's time, music was getting more complex and variant.

@ Lord Blackmourne -- First off let me just say that I love Mozart tremendously. But to say "Mozart's music is totally superior to Chopin's.." doesn't make any sense. Do you know that Chopin wrote almost exclusively for piano? Did you know he is accepted as the composer who best understood the piano? Don't be fooled, just because Chopin didn't write big symphonies, concertos, quartets, etc doesn't make him an less of a brilliant composer. Chopin once said "My kingdom is small but within it I am really king." Have you even heard any of his music? The scherzi, the ballades, the nocturnes, the mazurkas? Did you know that Chopin invented many things? Did you know that Chopin is thought of as one of the great musical intellects along with Bach, Mozart, Brahms and others great geniuses? It's perfectly fine to dislike someone's music, but it puzzles me why you dismiss Chopin as some incompetent composer. Do you really think his music is inadequate?

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I will not choose to listen to Mozart, I find everything he has to say has been said more poetically and more evocatively by others, but I fully accept plenty others find quite the reverse to be true...um...isn't this the best thing about music? ^>^ Frankly, I'd rather Chopin lived one more year than Mozart a thousand (in terms of musical output, I don't have anything against him as a person {I never really got to know him :P }); Mozart is either too cheerful or too subtle for my tastes wink
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
Mozart also learned faster as a child which then again proves that he was smarter and more musically gifted.

Uh, no?

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Originally Posted by FSO
Mozart is either too cheerful or too subtle for my tastes

You mean like this?????

http://youtu.be/Ue72gvJvpi8

Or this?

http://youtu.be/pqaARDsiJv4

Perhaps you need to get out more...... crazy

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think she meant piano music.

Online Content

Originally Posted by mazurkajoe
I think she meant piano music.

Who the heck knows what he/she meant. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I bet Mozart is still alive.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mazurkajoe
I bet Mozart is still alive.

All great composers are still alive (in and through their music).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Requiem is one of those pieces that touch me so deeply that I cannot do anything after listening to them. I think I cannot listen to it today because I have a day out tomorrow with two book sales and have to do some work today... frown It is so beautiful it is not of this world...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by carey

Who the heck knows what he/she meant. grin

Actually...Scherz...mazurkajoe got it all rather spot on laugh I'm afraid I don't have time for opera; there's already more piano music than I could ever hope to comprehend and it's *such* a beautiful conduit for emotion...um...I know Mozart wrote *some* "sad" (in the loosest possible sense) music, but...never so much hopeless, sweet yearning as there is in Chopin nor delicate instability as there is in Beethoven...for me, at least. Still...there's more in Mozart than L...L...L-Ludovico... laugh I *do* adore the requiem...um...I'll shush now laugh

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I can't stand those who venerate Liszt as if he were the pinnacle of pianistic achievement. He's not.

Yes he is. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I can't stand those who venerate Liszt as if he were the pinnacle of pianistic achievement. He's not.

Yes he is. smile

Lol no.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission