2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,931 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
c-piano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello. I found a new Seiler ED-168 Virtuoso grand piano at the local piano store for $16,000 (tax not included). I tried it out and really liked it, but I have no idea if this is a good deal or not. Also, I do not know much about Seiler grand piano. The salesman said that the parts are made in Germany and assembled in Indonesia.

I got a super slimy salesman who was really annoying, so I decided to come home and research about Seiler pianos before I make a decision.

Does anyone have any ideas regarding Seiler grand pianos and their prices?

Thank you smile

J
J
I've never played a Seiler but they appear to be a midrange piano made by Samick[0,1]. Seiler was originally a German company but was aquired by Samick in 2008 and they do indeed appeared to be built in Indonesia. It looks to me like Seiler competes with Pramberger and some of the other Chinese brands like Perzina, Brodmann or even other Samick builds like Knabe or Kohler and Campbell.

RE price you checked out pianobuyer.com? Your price on the Seiler is exactly 1/3 off the suggested price of $25,000 suggested by [2], which generally qualifies is a pretty good deal. What exactly did the price include? A bench, delivery, a free tuning or two?

Finally - if you search this site there are a few threads mentioning the ED-168. Frankly I find it easier to just use google to search the site as shown in [3] but of course there is a search box on this very page.

Good luck,
Jason

[0] http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring12/44.html
[1] http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring12/191.html
[2] http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring12/245.html
[3] go to google and search e.g. "site:pianowork.com Seiler"

C
c-piano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Jason,

Thank you for your reply. The price includes a bench, shipping and one free turning.

I googled and found the websites you mentioned. I was not sure how accrate those prices are...

Anybody I know does not own those cheaper grand pianos made in China/Korea/Indonesia. It is a bit scary to buy something I am not too familiar with. I usually practice with Steinway, Mason & Hamlin or Yamaha at the college. I really want to have my own piano at home, but these brands are out of my budget.

I asked my friends, professors and a piano technician at school, and they are all negative about economic grand pianos.

Well, I should do more research and think about it. I wish I had more money to spend on a piano!

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
The price range in Piano Buyer is usually very representative of the market. However, the new, Fall 2012 edition will be out in the next couple of weeks and some prices have gone up.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcomed C-Piano,
The ED-168 Virtuoso it is musically a very successful instrument as SMC has been able to properly manufacture this Seiler scale design. The design has been part of the Seiler family of pianos that was re-developed in 2005 in Kitzingen prior to the takeover by SMC. The company puts a lot of attention in maintaining high quality standards and applying manufacturing techniques properly. However the back-bone is in the great design of these instruments.
Prices could fluctuate depending on a number of factors; 16K it is a good price for this piano.

The ED-168 offers the typical sound of small Seiler pianos. Clean powerful bass registers; the mid and upper registers have sort of a strong attack and very gradual changes in tonal quality across the dynamic range. The pianos tend to have good sustain and not much reverb. The tone is clean and defined.
I have seen many ED168 across the country; quality control has been excellent at the factory in Indonesia as the pianos arrived to the dealers in very good condition but yet they require minor regulation of the action.
The most important factor about these instruments is the design that leads to the characteristics of the tone in Seiler pianos. This model is a great piano in the price range.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/04/12 01:41 AM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Dear C-Piano,

First I must say that the only exposure I have had to the ED-168 is at a piano technicians convention and Roger Jolly himself showed it to me (right before we had a sandwich together).

The instrument can perform. It is that simple.

Second - to be fair, I believe that Roger himself prepped the piano for display, so I definitely saw the instrument in it's best light.

Good luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
K
K
Are there still any German made Seiler Pianos And are they available in the USA??

Last edited by K-52SM; 09/04/12 05:43 PM.
C
c-piano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Steve,

Thank you for the comment. If the price range in Piano Buyer is pretty accurate, $16000 must be a good deal!

C
c-piano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Kurtmen,

I really appreciate your detailed comment on ED 168! smile I am going back to the store sometime soon, and decide which one to buy.

I also liked Pramberger JP series at the store. It will be under 16K and I could get a bigger one than ED 168.

C
c-piano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Rich,

Thank you for your comment! Yes, I think the ED-168 can perform really well. I just wish I could try it out more at the store.

I should go back to the store!

C
c-piano Offline OP
OP Offline
C
K-52SM

According to my slimy salesman at the piano store, they could get the German made Seiler pianos. It could cost 2-3 times more than the ones assembled in Indonesia, he said.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Welcomed C-Piano,
The ED-168 Virtuoso it is musically a very successful instrument as SMC has been able to properly manufacture this Seiler scale design. The design has been part of the Seiler family of pianos that was re-developed in 2005 in Kitzingen prior to the takeover by SMC. The company puts a lot of attention in maintaining high quality standards and applying manufacturing techniques properly. However the back-bone is in the great design of these instruments.
The most important factor about these instruments is the design that leads to the characteristics of the tone in Seiler pianos. This model is a great piano in the price range.

Hmmmmm...sounds like the walls of your glass house are being shattered. Just sayin' wink

Last edited by master88er; 09/04/12 07:49 PM.

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are there still any German made Seiler Pianos And are they available in the USA??

Yes, the factory in Germany is in full swing. Seiler Pianos Made In Germany are available in the USA.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/05/12 06:34 PM.

San Mateo Piano
www.sanmateopiano.com
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Kurtmen,

That picture is from your photobucket account. How old is that picture? And what does it have to do with what Seiler is doing today in Germany?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
G
G
The Seiler factory in Germany is realy in full swing and they are growing. The other day I saw an add in Europiano offering jobs and apprenticeships in Kitzingen.

The pianos are available in USA, but obviously these are different models than here in Germany. Here we have the Eduard Seiler upright line. These pianos have Eduard Seiler as fallboard name and are identical with the Seiler branded line. The only difference is, that the action in the Seiler line is Renner and the action in the Eduard Seiler line comes from Asia but is built in in Kitzingen. Both lines are completely made in Germany with German parts only (excepted the action in the Eduard Seiler line). The third production line is called Johannes Seiler and is completely made in Indonesia, but prepped in Kitzingen for the sale in Germany.

Gregor

piano tech - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
by R. Galassini
That picture is from your photobucket account. How old is that picture?

I got these pictures this Summer at a presentation I had with Ludger de Graaff (Seiler Betriebsleiter).

The pictures are from my photobucket. You are right...
Photobucket is really cool they let you upload pictures even if they are one day old.

And what does it have to do with what Seiler is doing today in Germany?

These pictures are in relation to people working at the factory in Kitzingen. You see Richie...

Posted By Gregor:
The Seiler factory in Germany is realy in full swing and they are growing. The other day I saw an add in Europiano offering jobs and apprenticeships in Kitzingen.

Thank you Gregor. Also there was an article in regard to Seiler making a comeback where Mr. De Graaff speaks about the current factory in Germany.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/06/12 02:39 PM.

San Mateo Piano
www.sanmateopiano.com
G
G
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Also there was an article in regard to Seiler making a comeback where Mr. De Graaff speaks about the current factory in Germany.

Yes, in the journal Das Musikinstrument from April 2012:

http://www.das-musikinstrument.de/5220.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=29931&tx_ttnews[backPid]=5216&cHash=168271b348

Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de
G
G
Sorry, link does not work. I googled for Seiler comeback. I have the reprint fo that article because Seiler sent it to all Seiler dealers. I am one of them wink

Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Copying and pasting the whole URL works for me. But magazine articles on the web can disappear overnight....

Last edited by Supply; 09/07/12 11:59 AM.

JG
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Nicht gut

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission