2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by Grand Piano Haus
Some new components:
MusicWire: Middle to Treble (Germany’s Röslau)
HammerFelt: German
Soundboard: Bavarian Spruce (New crown manufacturing method like in “CF” and “XA” Yamaha grands)
Backposts: Increased Thickness. Greater support for ‘fff’ playing

Enjoy,

Jeff Tasch
Grand Piano Haus

Ho hum...

Yeah, these are the kind of fairly small adjustments that often accompany the rolling out of a new "model." Yamaha is certainly not the only firm, or even the only piano firm, to engage in this kind of tinkering and rebadging. It makes good sense to market it, but really, it does seem like small potatoes (yes, to ME).

But you know, I like the C series, so I'm sure I won't like this any less.

B
BDB Offline
B
I like the C series, too, some better than others. But I recently tuned a C3 and a G3, and the differences between them were less than the sample differences for each of those models, probably because I have been taking care of them for so long.

Semipro Tech
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
If the CX series has the same improvements as the C3XA and C6XA, there was a noticeable improvement in the sound. The treble had a bell-like clarity and the bass was more mellow but had wonderful power. Since the C3 I purchased was already over-the-top of my piano budget, I couldn't indulge, but wow, I was really impressed with the difference I heard in the XA's. It may look like small tweaks, but those changes made a very big difference in sound (at least to me).

I really look forward to the new CX's hitting the dealer's showrooms. Improvements to pianos that don't cost more than my house are always welcome news!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Originally Posted by BDB
Some new components:
HammerFelt: German
Soundboard: Bavarian Spruce (New crown manufacturing method like in “CF” and “XA” Yamaha grands)
Backposts: Increased Thickness. Greater support for ‘fff’ playing

Enjoy,

Jeff Tasch
Grand Piano Haus

Ho hum...

Yeah, these are the kind of fairly small adjustments that often accompany the rolling out of a new "model." Yamaha is certainly not the only firm, or even the only piano firm, to engage in this kind of tinkering and rebadging. It makes good sense to market it, but really, it does seem like small potatoes (yes, to ME).

But you know, I like the C series, so I'm sure I won't like this any less.

Well, at least these are improvements to, and a discussion regarding, a brand that is significant in the industry.

So much of the discussion on this forum seems to center on the insignificant - by that I mean discussions about brands that, while of great quality - have little or no real significance in the industry as a whole because they sell in such small quantities.

I won't mention any names, but I believe you are familiar with a brand that gets frequent mentions here - that I would guess sold fewer than a dozen pianos in the United States all last year.

Yamaha sells more in 1 week than all the "Tier 1" piano brands put together sell in a year. Perhaps in several years.

Don't get me wrong - I have never been accused of being a big fan of Yamahas, and quite the contrary - I am a huge fan of most all the "Tier 1" brands - some more than others (especially Steingraeber and Sauter). But to most people they are not relevant.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Some new components:
Out of curiosity, what brand of wire were they using up to now?

JG
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
If the CX series has the same improvements as the C3XA and C6XA, there was a noticeable improvement in the sound. The treble had a bell-like clarity and the bass was more mellow but had wonderful power. Since the C3 I purchased was already over-the-top of my piano budget, I couldn't indulge, but wow, I was really impressed with the difference I heard in the XA's. It may look like small tweaks, but those changes made a very big difference in sound (at least to me).

i agree; on paper the changes don't appear earth shaking but it may well be a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. i look forward to 'seeing' what a CF6 sounds like.

B
BDB Offline
B
It is entirely possible that the selling points mentioned are not the primary improvements to the newer models. I just do not like people touting pianos on the basis of selling points. The proof is in how well the piano sounds and plays.

Semipro Tech
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Entheo
Originally Posted by j&j

i agree; on paper the changes don't appear earth shaking but it may well be a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. i look forward to 'seeing' what a CF6 sounds like.

I got to play the CFX several months ago. My impression was that it is a very nice piano; there was nothing about it that I found objectionable: it had a nice sound, the action was responsive, and it looked pretty with its edgy styling. However, it left me with a "so what?" feeling. It's not such an improvement over the CFIIIS that it deserves the hype it's getting... rather, it's just another really, really nice tier-1 concert grand.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
This is nice! Maybe some of the Bosendorfer philosophy is making its way down to their Yamaha line

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Trying to help avoiding speculations on the specs of the new Yamaha CX series, below are two links describing them:

Yamaha announcement

Yamaha Australia - CX series

schwammerl.

G
OP Offline
G
Hello Schwammerl,

Thank you very much for sharing.

JT
GPH

We proudly represent: Yamaha pianos (including: Clavinova, AvantGrand, SilentPiano, Enspire, P/DGX-Digitals, Arius), Bösendorfer, Schimmel
Kayserburg, Ritmüller, Pearl River pianos. Retrofit Interactive Silent Systems by: adsilent and Kioshi
http://www.GrandPianoHaus.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
On October 12, 2012 (Friday), Yamaha Corporation will make a worldwide launch of a new series of acoustic grand pianos, the CX Series, which will replace its premium quality "C Series" pianos.

So... if I read this correctly, the current C will be replaced, no longer made. I bet the C3XA/C6XA will no longer be made either, as they are exactly the same thing as the future C3X and C6X.

The only bad thing about this means a new C-series piano will be much more expensive once the current C-series stock is gone.

I wonder how long it takes to sell out all the current stock of C3, when the C3X would be the only kind of new C3 you could get from a dealer? One or two years?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
you ask really good questions, 4evrBeginR. hard to imagine yamaha would give up price points that have been so successful for them. to possibly oversimplify, that means that either CXs take on XA pricing (substantially higher), CXs get a bump in pricing (potentially mitigated with dealer discounts) or CXs simply replace Cs in the pricebook (the latter would leave XA buyers a bit miffed i would think).

jeff, what sayest thou?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I will be playing the C3X either later this week, or early next week.

I've also played C3XA and of course C3.

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
The problem with Yamaha is that they creep their prices up and up and up, until the point where you could match it with a Bluthner or something. Of course, since Yamaha have control of Bosendorfer, they don't have to worry about competition there... they'll just knock up the Bosie prices (which are already very high).

Of course, if the CX series are significantly better than the C series, then I don't expect that they SHOULD be the same price. If there's a lot of R and D involved there, and upgraded materials, then the pianos will be more expensive and justifiably so.

It depends on the application of the piano. A pianist who only has one piano, will want something middle of the road, that can take a pounding and will retain it's sound reasonably well, then you flog it and upgrade. You don't expect to make money on it because you've worked it into the ground.

A pianist with two pianos might want something middle of the road, or even less for note bashing - even an old vertical - and then want something a bit special for the finishing work, finding out what the possibilities are. You couldn't really do that on the older C series pianos. Perhaps the CX will allow more refined practice.

YAMAHA Artist
J
J
I wonder what this will do to the used market for existing C-series piano. Using the C3 as the canonical Yamaha let's assume that the C3X will list for considerably more than the current C3. Let's say a C3X costs $5000 more than the current C3 new. (call it $35k instead of $30k just for round numbers).

Someone with a $30k budget that wants a C3 now can't get a new one *at all* for that price and if they like the Yamaha sound they will turn to the used market. In this case, demand goes up for used C3s.

On the other hand if the C3X is significantly better to where most buyers strongly prefer it to the existing C3 then demand for the existing C3s may go down. I think that's what happened to the G series which seem to go for less on the used market than similar-vintage Cs.

If the C3X is significantly better sounding and is NOT quite a bit more expensive than the existing C3 then I would expect the latter to happen. But C-series Yamahas are pretty damned expensive already and every dollar they increase the price increases their vulnerability from the lower tiers. If Yamaha wants to continue selling hundreds of thousands of C-series pianos instead of just thousands of "boutique" pianos I don't think they have much room on price. I'm pretty well off financially but a new C3 is really hard for me to justify at $30k. If it moves upmarket to 40k it will be basically out-of-reach for 95% of Americans.

Japanese car manufacturers established toeholds in the American markets with cheap models but they quickly moved upscale. Surely Yamaha doesn't want to be outflanked in that way.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
when last i checked the C3XA retail was $53k. if the C3X is essentially the same, it's hard to imagine it getting a retail price in the 40s, much less the 30s. and like i said before, if it does there are going to be some very unhappy C3XA owners out there.

J
J
Well, not very many of them wink

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
In Canada, the C3XA retail price is $7,400 higher than the C3, so about $4,424 more. I suspect that the C3X might be similar.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Wow - talk about wild speculation!

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission