Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
76 registered members (bennevis, ando, anamnesis, Astropiano, beeboss, belcanto2, Agent88, 23 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Schumann Small Grand #1951650
08/30/12 06:08 PM
08/30/12 06:08 PM
Tampa, FL
M
MacDan Offline OP
MacDan  Offline OP
M
Tampa, FL
Long time lurker, hopefully a soon to be owner...

I have an opportunity to get for the cost of moving a Schumann small or possibly baby grand piano. As one might expect, I have a lot of questions, so I'll keep it to a minimum to start:

I am going to assume that this is a Asian Schumann, as I suspect it is no more than 20-30 years old at the most. It is white with (believe it or not) a custom made matching finish "drink rail" around the case.

It currently resides in it's original location, which is a hotel that is currently being renovated after being more or less abandoned for the last 5-6 years.

With that in mind, it has not been in a climate controlled environment, but it has not been exposed to the elements, either. From the people at the site I am told none of the strings appear to be damaged, and other than a thick layer of dust and a small amount of wear on the case, it is intact, playable, but out of tune.

I have seen a few pictures and the keys are level and undamaged. It also appears to have some sort of piano disc system on it as well.

I am not a piano restorer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have many years of furniture and cabinet making experience. Dealing with the case and finish will be the easy part for me. I am also very mechanically inclined, and willing to take on whatever repairs might be necessary short of replacing major components, which would make this a deal breaker if necessary anyway.

I know to inspect major components like the soundboard and pin block, and can remove the action for inspection without damaging it.

Considering the items above, and that I can probably pick this up (figuratively) for the cost of moving it, which would be around $250 using a highly rated piano mover in the area, should I pursue this?

I am figuring that without any major issues that this could be a good instrument for me to begin my lessons on, considering the minimal amount I might have invested after a good tuning and adjustment. I know the Asian pianos of this vintage aren't the greatest, but considering what little I have in it, I'm think it's worth pursuing.

I am going to inspect the instrument tomorrow morning in detail, and will report my findings for further scrutiny.

Thanks to all in advance,

Dan

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1951652
08/30/12 06:11 PM
08/30/12 06:11 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen  Offline
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Run. Run fast. Run far.

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: Steve Cohen] #1951673
08/30/12 07:02 PM
USA
G
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
gnuboi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G
USA
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Run. Run fast. Run far.

Away from it?

It's a free piano in decent shape... It's no Sauter baby grand (pretty!) but at least it's better than anything electronic or not for $1000 yea?

Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: Steve Cohen] #1951674
San Francisco Bay Area
master88er Offline
1000 Post Club Member
master88er  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
San Francisco Bay Area
Run. Run fast. Run far.

Why should he run? Perhaps he is in desperate need of firewood!

Russell I. Kassman
R.KASSMAN, Purveyor of Fine Pianos
Berkeley, CA

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: master88er] #1951690
08/30/12 07:42 PM
08/30/12 07:42 PM
Tampa, FL
M
MacDan Offline OP
MacDan  Offline OP
M
Tampa, FL
I expected this sort of response, but I also expected that people with experience in these areas would substantiate their comments with some sort of specific reasons, rather than vague generalizations.

That is the whole reason why I asked...sort of a waste of time to be asking if no one wants to back up the reasoning behind their statements. I expected a lot more from what I thought were professionals and/or people accomplished in this area.

Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1951717
08/30/12 08:42 PM
08/30/12 08:42 PM
TX
V
ventil Offline
ventil  Offline
V
TX
Originally Posted by MacDan
I am figuring that without any major issues that this could be a good instrument for me to begin my lessons on

Dan,

I am not a professional pianist or tech, but maybe I can help you think through this. It sounds like you are a beginner, so my comments are based on that assumption, and the assumption there are no major, deal-breaking problems with the Schumann.

Regardless, of the piano's original quality, it's history and poor environment the last few years, mean you should consider this only a temporary solution.

OTOH, if you are a more advanced player, or are planning on this purchase being a long-term solution, it might be best to pass.

So let's say you intend to keep it only two years. If you spend $1200 during that time for initial moving plus tunings and minor repairs, that's only $50/mo for a real piano action to learn on. You can use that time, and your developing piano skills to play good pianos to get a feel for what good pianos are, what you like, and can afford.

Hope this helps.

David M. Boothe, CAS
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1951720
08/30/12 08:51 PM
08/30/12 08:51 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

Rochester MN
MacDan,

Since you are new here, you probably haven't figured that you have just tossed off the opinions of two of the most respected professionals in the biz. This forum receives constant requests which are virtually the same as yours.

You clearly state that you are speculating on so many issues. How can anyone give any substantial advice on a "free" piano? Since you admit to lurking for a "long time," you got what you expected in your own words. Why should you expect or demand more?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: ventil] #1951724
08/30/12 08:57 PM
08/30/12 08:57 PM
Tampa, FL
M
MacDan Offline OP
MacDan  Offline OP
M
Tampa, FL
Originally Posted by ventil
Originally Posted by MacDan
I am figuring that without any major issues that this could be a good instrument for me to begin my lessons on

Dan,

I am not a professional pianist or tech, but maybe I can help you think through this. It sounds like you are a beginner, so my comments are based on that assumption, and the assumption there are no major, deal-breaking problems with the Schumann.

Regardless, of the piano's original quality, it's history and poor environment the last few years, mean you should consider this only a temporary solution.

OTOH, if you are a more advanced player, or are planning on this purchase being a long-term solution, it might be best to pass.

So let's say you intend to keep it only two years. If you spend $1200 during that time for initial moving plus tunings and minor repairs, that's only $50/mo for a real piano action to learn on. You can use that time, and your developing piano skills to play good pianos to get a feel for what good pianos are, what you like, and can afford.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does, and I very much appreciate your response as opposed to the "run away as if your hair was on fire" folks that have commented so far.

Without going into a lengthy explanation, I was the youngest of three, and due to my older sibling's lack of persistence with anything remotely musical, when it was my turn the parents pretty much passed. I went through two different Magnus chord organs as a young child, but the parents just wouldn't let me make the jump to a "real" keyboard instrument.

I was a voice major in school, so I have a good foundational knowledge when it comes to reading music, etc.

After many years I finally have the time and limited resources to pursue this bucket list item. I have worked out a barter system for lessons from a very well respected teacher of adult students in the area, so now I am attempting to locate a decent instrument to play.

I work for a school district, so that may give you some idea of my budgetary limitations. As a result of this, and with the assistance of many music teachers in my district, I have been searching for an instrument that I can acquire for limited funds that may potentially need minor, ideally cosmetic, repairs.

I have had a copy of the Reblitz book on servicing, tuning and rebuilding for several years and have pretty much absorbed every bit of it. I have no unrealistic expectations - I fully plan on employing the services of a professional technician to tune and adjust whatever instrument I end up with. I am not about to undertake something like a restringing as neophyte.

Yes, this is an inexpensive acquisition if it works out, but even with some money spent to make it a passable instrument will go a long way in helping me to achieve what I have wanted for many years - to learn to play. Will it be ideal? I don't expect so. However, it will give me the opportunity to get started, use and work on an instrument I can potentially mess up or make mistakes with without fear of a significant loss or expense.

Again, thank you for your constructive comments.

Dan

Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: Minnesota Marty] #1951731
08/30/12 09:04 PM
08/30/12 09:04 PM
Tampa, FL
M
MacDan Offline OP
MacDan  Offline OP
M
Tampa, FL
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
MacDan,

Since you are new here, you probably haven't figured that you have just tossed off the opinions of two of the most respected professionals in the biz. This forum receives constant requests which are virtually the same as yours.

You clearly state that you are speculating on so many issues. How can anyone give any substantial advice on a "free" piano? Since you admit to lurking for a "long time," you got what you expected in your own words. Why should you expect or demand more?

For what it's worth, I have been here for several years and am aware of who responded to my original post.

I am not demanding a thing - I was hoping for some constructive comments, positive or negative.

I wasn't expecting substantial advice, just some direction. If that is "avoid an instrument like this because...." it would have been far more helpful than suggestions that it is suitable for firewood, which may very well be the case.

I am a highly regarded professional in my line of work. If I was asked for general advice by someone who was truly interested in my professional opinion, I would do my best to offer that advice with some substance.

I was just taken aback a bit by their responses, that's all. Not what I would expect from a professional in any discipline. I guess I just have higher standards.

Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1951733
08/30/12 09:09 PM
Philadelphia area
D
Dave B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dave B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Philadelphia area
The fact that it's free should tell you enough. If you need more info, hire a tech to evaluate it's condition.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1951734
TX
V
ventil Offline
ventil  Offline
V
TX
Well, it sounds like you answered your own question.

IMHO, it is better to learn on a real piano action, even a less-than-ideal one, than on a DP. With the physicality of something like piano technique, it's better to move all those parts, overcoming the friction, learning the control, etc. Digitals, even good ones, just don't seem to respond the same.

David M. Boothe, CAS
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: Dave B] #1951741
08/30/12 09:19 PM
08/30/12 09:19 PM
Tampa, FL
M
MacDan Offline OP
MacDan  Offline OP
M
Tampa, FL
Exactly.

It's free because I know the site superintendent, who has been charged with clearing the building of its contents before they begin demolition of the interior.

He has called around to some local piano stores and techs who showed little or no interest, then heard I was looking for a piano, so he called me. His employer has no interest in trying to profit from the contents of the building, so I am actually providing a service to them by removing it.

I will give it a thorough inspection with photos that a trusted technician will review before we decide to have him make the trip, as it's about 45 minutes away. Realizing that photographs won't go far to assess many aspects of the instrument's condition, if I don't find any significant problems I will probably have him go and inspect it, or someone in the immediate area he recommends.

Thank you!

Dan

Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1951981
08/31/12 09:42 AM
08/31/12 09:42 AM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Dan,

I'm sorry that I didn't give you a more detailed response but sometimes I just don't have time for lengthy posting. In this case, I didn't have much time but felt that you needed to be alerted to the overwhelming likelihood that acquiring this piano with the hope of its serving your stated needs would be a big mistake.

My thinking is based on a number of factors. The Asian-made Schumanns were horrible pianos when they came out of the crate. They were structurally unstable and built with the cheapest parts and poor workmanship. This particular pianos served as a piano bar which is probably the worst use a piano can have. It also sat in an abandoned building without any environmental control for 5 years.

In my experience getting a piano such as this into decent playing condition would likely take a good tech days . The fact that you are considering doing the work yourself made the scenaio bleaker. I see better values on Craigslist every day.

My advice is run, run fast, and run far.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1951993
08/31/12 10:08 AM
08/31/12 10:08 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Well, Steve, at least it is not a Tokai... that's something positive, isn't it? grin

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: Steve Cohen] #1952176
08/31/12 04:54 PM
08/31/12 04:54 PM
Tampa, FL
M
MacDan Offline OP
MacDan  Offline OP
M
Tampa, FL
Dan,

I'm sorry that I didn't give you a more detailed response but sometimes I just don't have time for lengthy posting. In this case, I didn't have much time but felt that you needed to be alerted to the overwhelming likelihood that acquiring this piano with the hope of its serving your stated needs would be a big mistake.

My thinking is based on a number of factors. The Asian-made Schumanns were horrible pianos when they came out of the crate. They were structurally unstable and built with the cheapest parts and poor workmanship. This particular pianos served as a piano bar which is probably the worst use a piano can have. It also sat in an abandoned building without any environmental control for 5 years.

In my experience getting a piano such as this into decent playing condition would likely take a good tech days . The fact that you are considering doing the work yourself made the scenaio bleaker. I see better values on Craigslist every day.

My advice is run, run fast, and run far.

Steve, I applaud you for your response! That is exactly what I was looking for. My deepest thanks for your time and willingness to expound on the earlier comments.

For what it's worth, my expectations were very, very low, as I live in Florida, and knowing what the climate can do to anything made of wood (I am a furniture builder, among other things) I fully expected this instrument to be not much better than kindling.

And I was correct, as were others who commented thusly.

I saw the piano this morning, and within a few seconds was able to assess its condition. To suggest that it was suitable for firewood was an understatement.

The strings were rusted, the harp or plate was rusting to the point of flaking in large pieces, etc., etc.

While I didn't really expect to find something spectacular by any means, it was a sad sight to see even what was once a decent instrument in this sort of condition.

I told the contractor that is performing the restoration of this hotel that he might as well have his demolition crew take it out in pieces, as there was nothing salvageable. Its only value was in scrap, for sure.

<sigh>

I'll continue my search for a starter piano that needs some TLC - time is on my side.

I just missed a Harold Waters baby grand that was close to my home, but that might not have been much better based on the pictures....

Again, thank you for your time and effort. It is appreciated!

Dan

Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1952189
08/31/12 05:14 PM
08/31/12 05:14 PM
TX
R
RickG1 Offline
RickG1  Offline
R
TX
Mac Dan,
When Steve Cohen and Russell Kassman talk, most of us listen. Here is hoping you find something that will meet your needs in your price range.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1952191
08/31/12 05:17 PM
08/31/12 05:17 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

Rochester MN
Oops - Wrong Thread!

Sorry

Last edited by Minnesota Marty; 08/31/12 05:19 PM.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: RickG1] #1952198
08/31/12 05:25 PM
08/31/12 05:25 PM
Tampa, FL
M
MacDan Offline OP
MacDan  Offline OP
M
Tampa, FL
Originally Posted by RickG1
Mac Dan,
When Steve Cohen and Russell Kassman talk, most of us listen. Here is hoping you find something that will meet your needs in your price range.

Understood. I already have a couple of additional prospects to look at tomorrow, both of which I will be posting about shortly.

Thank you,

Dan

Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1952226
08/31/12 06:02 PM
08/31/12 06:02 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline
Georgia, USA
Don't tell Steve Cohen he was right... his head is big enough already. grin (Just kidding, Steve smile )

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Schumann Small Grand [Re: MacDan] #1952250
08/31/12 06:35 PM
08/31/12 06:35 PM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Steve Cohen  Offline
Maryland/DC/No. VA
I appreciate the expressions of confidence in my postings. It is my intention to help where I can, as it puts my experience to its highest and best use.

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buzzing sound and strange white repair on soundboard
by Swedishnerd. 09/23/18 06:01 PM
Galaxy Vintage D - still has pedaling issues?
by clavichords. 09/23/18 05:10 PM
Roland D-05 startup patch
by EVC2017. 09/23/18 04:19 PM
Adding a pianodisc silent piano system to a steinway
by graham.morrison795. 09/23/18 03:13 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,454
Posts2,747,385
Members91,075
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission