2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (beeboss, Bill McKaig,RPT, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, BlakeOR, 13 invisible), 616 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
It's the coffee obsession.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
It's the coffee obsession.

That was all?

Don't worry Pogo, you're more than safe. grin

Among other reasons because if they banned coffee, coffee ice cream would also probably be out.

And I wouldn't stand for that! [Linked Image]

O
O
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Actually this thread has given me the idea of trying beta blockers. You need a prescription for them, yes?

I pretty much assumed you were using them and that's why you were being so.....how you were being. ha

Yes, you need a prescription, at least in the U.S.

No, I've just always been curious. I think it's time to satisfy that curiosity (and since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous wink )

I would advise you not to take beta blockers unless there is a convincing medical reason for doing so. These drugs can have negative side effects. I know from the recordings that you have posted of your playing that you are a terrific pianist. These recordings are great testaments to what you are capable of achieving without performance enhancing drugs. Why take unnecessary risks with your health if you do not have to?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Drugs seem to be a major part of our culture now. . . . as an aside, how much music do we play which has been written under the influence? Of drink, or other drugs known about years ago but not heard of now?

You`d have to delve into the records, because you can`t ask Beethoven or Mozart what they were on, either when compoasing, or when performing. Rumour has it that things happened.

You don`t have to be drugged up to appreciate or perform Hendrix or The Beatles . . .or anything else for that matter. But some might say it helps! Certainly a pint or two lubricates the fingers and the brain. I think I play better, but I can`t speak for everybody who listens . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Otis S
Actually this thread has given me the idea of trying beta blockers. You need a prescription for them, yes?

I pretty much assumed you were using them and that's why you were being so.....how you were being. ha

No, I've just always been curious. I think it's time to satisfy that curiosity (and since I'm not a cat, that's not dangerous wink )

I would advise you not to take beta blockers unless there is a convincing medical reason for doing so. These drugs can have negative side effects. I know from the recordings that you have posted of your playing that you are a terrific pianist. These recordings are great testaments to what you are capable of achieving without performance enhancing drugs. Why take unnecessary risks with your health if you do not have to?

It's not as if the effects are permanent. And it's interesting that you seem to assume that the effects would be negative - is it not possible they could be positive? Certainly the large numbers of musicians who do use them seem to think so.

O
O
Originally Posted by wr

It's not as if the effects are permanent. And it's interesting that you seem to assume that the effects would be negative - is it not possible they could be positive? Certainly the large numbers of musicians who do use them seem to think so.

I would tend to exercise caution in a forum such as this. Beta blockers are regulated by prescriptions, as noted by Mark_C. Therefore, one should not take them without first consulting a properly qualified physician. While there are certain people who may benefit from them, beta blockers are clearly not for everyone. Side effects for some people can be severe, such as for people with heart conditions.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

I would tend to exercise caution in a forum such as this. Beta blockers are regulated by prescriptions, as noted by Mark_C. Therefore, one should not take them without first consulting a properly qualified physician. While there are certain people who may benefit from them, beta blockers are clearly not for everyone. Side effects for some people can be severe, such as for people with heart conditions.

I agree. I have used beta-blockers on several occasions to help control severe hand tremors, palpitations and sweating during specific performance situations. I had a long talk beforehand with my physician who wrote me a prescription for a low dosage of propranolol. He had me experiment with the dosages (starting with 5 mg) and the time I took it before performing. He also followed up with me to see if I experienced any adverse reactions. For me 10 mg about 40 minutes before performing seems to be quite effective. As I stated in an earlier post, it did not alleviate any of the anxiety I felt, it only stopped some of the more debilitating physical symptoms. I am in very good health with no family history of coronary disease.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

Well, since the person who brought them up immediately asked about the prescription aspect and got an affirmative response, I'm kind of assuming there will be a doctor involved if she tries them. The way I read your post, the one to which I first responded, was that you were trying to discourage her from trying them at all.

But then, too, I'm the kind of person who does internet research on any medication I may take, especially to read up on any side effects, and I (probably mistakenly) think that other people do the same.

Originally Posted by wr
....But then, too, I'm the kind of person who does internet research on any medication I may take, especially to read up on any side effects, and I (probably mistakenly) think that other people do the same.

That doesn't give anywhere near the degree of security you imply, for various reasons.

N
N
Originally Posted by DameMyra

I agree. I have used beta-blockers on several occasions to help control severe hand tremors, palpitations and sweating during specific performance situations. I had a long talk beforehand with my physician who wrote me a prescription for a low dosage of propranolol. He had me experiment with the dosages (starting with 5 mg) and the time I took it before performing. He also followed up with me to see if I experienced any adverse reactions. For me 10 mg about 40 minutes before performing seems to be quite effective. As I stated in an earlier post, it did not alleviate any of the anxiety I felt, it only stopped some of the more debilitating physical symptoms. I am in very good health with no family history of coronary disease.

I've tried beta-blockers. The first time I used them, the placebo effect was absolutely mind-blowing. I felt like I was playing in my living room and couldn't play a wrong note. Some time later I realised that all it did was stop my hands sweating and shaking. Everything else was created in my mind. Although the placebo effect from the beta-blockers gave me a brief belief in myself, it showed me my potential. Now I need to find out how to recreate that placebo effect, a tremendous effect that cannot be found in a pill.

What do you mean by "placebo effect"?
It seems maybe you mean something other than the usual meaning.

It sounds like maybe you mean something like that the absence of physical symptoms enabled you to play confidently, whereas with the physical symptoms, you couldn't.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NikkiPiano

I've tried beta-blockers. The first time I used them, the placebo effect was absolutely mind-blowing. I felt like I was playing in my living room and couldn't play a wrong note. Some time later I realised that all it did was stop my hands sweating and shaking. Everything else was created in my mind. Although the placebo effect from the beta-blockers gave me a brief belief in myself, it showed me my potential. Now I need to find out how to recreate that placebo effect, a tremendous effect that cannot be found in a pill.

[img:left]http://assets.amuniversal.com/85e4b7c0cddd012fe1d2001dd8b71c47[/img]

N
N
What do you mean by "placebo effect"?
It seems maybe you mean something other than the usual meaning.

It sounds like maybe you mean something like that the absence of physical symptoms enabled you to play confidently, whereas with the physical symptoms, you couldn't.

My state of mind was completely free of anxiety. My hands felt detached from my body and it felt like they were playing by themselves. But this state of mind was created all by myself, not by the BB, because I believed the BB would relieve me of all anxiety. The BBs now do nothing except prevent hands trembling and sweating. I still suffer anxiety when I use them.

I invented a drug in my head that gave me the effect of playing by myself when in fact I was playing to an audience. That's what I find mindblowing. I can do it.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That doesn't make any sense.. a placebo effect only occurs when the in-taker isn't aware that the pill is fake. You knew what you were taking, and of course you believed the BB would relieve of some anxiety, because you were in fact taking the pill. So what you experienced is actually the effect of the drug itself, not a placebo effect - that is something completely different.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think what NikkiPiano means is (and I could be wrong, so please correct me) beta-blockers do not decrease anxiety, say like a tranquilizer, but NP thought they did. So after taking them NP felt less anxiety. This is, in this case, a placebo effect, since there was an observable, or felt improvement in health or behavior not "specifically attributable" to the beta-blocker.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
N
N
I think what NikkiPiano means is (and I could be wrong, so please correct me) beta-blockers do not decrease anxiety, say like a tranquilizer, but NP thought they did. So after taking them NP felt less anxiety. This is, in this case, a placebo effect, since there was an observable, or felt improvement in health or behavior not "specifically attributable" to the beta-blocker.

Thank you. Exactly. The BB wasn't fake. I simply presumed it would do more for my anxiety than it does. The first time I took a BB was amazing. The second time, the anxiety relieving properties decreased drastically. The third time, nothing. I sussed I was doing the anxiety relieving all by myself. BB do nothing for relieving mental anxiety.

Last edited by NikkiPiano; 08/30/12 01:16 PM.
B
B
BB relieves/reduces symptoms of anxiety & 'nerves' - 'palpitations' (more correctly fast heart rate), trembling, shaking, sweating, stomach churning, diarrhoea etc.

But you still feel like you're anxious in your mind, just that you don't exhibit outward symptoms of it (or at least, they're better controlled, assuming you're on a high enough dose).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
OP Online Content
That doesn't make any sense.. a placebo effect only occurs when the in-taker isn't aware that the pill is fake. You knew what you were taking, and of course you believed the BB would relieve of some anxiety, because you were in fact taking the pill. So what you experienced is actually the effect of the drug itself, not a placebo effect - that is something completely different.
If someone believes a pill can do something, then sometimes that something occurs even if it's not due to the pill. The placebo effect doesn't only refer to situations where the pill is fake and the user doesn't know this.

There was a pretty lengthy article in the NY Times recently saying that some doctors have decided to not tell patients all possible minor side effects of some drugs because studies have shown that once told about side effects patients can be more like to experience them. The article specifically called this an example of the placebo effect.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
From Wiki:

Adverse effects

Adverse drug reactions (ADRs) associated with the use of beta blockers include: nausea, diarrhea, bronchospasm, dyspnea, cold extremities, exacerbation of Raynaud's syndrome, bradycardia, hypotension, heart failure, heart block, fatigue, dizziness, alopecia (hair loss), abnormal vision, hallucinations, insomnia, nightmares, sexual dysfunction, erectile dysfunction and/or alteration of glucose and lipid metabolism. Mixed α1/β-antagonist therapy is also commonly associated with orthostatic hypotension. Carvedilol therapy is commonly associated with edema.[22] Due to the high penetration across the blood–brain barrier, lipophilic beta blockers, such as propranolol and metoprolol, are more likely than other, less lipophilic, beta blockers to cause sleep disturbances, such as insomnia and vivid dreams and nightmares.[23]

Adverse effects associated with β2-adrenergic receptor antagonist activity (bronchospasm, peripheral vasoconstriction, alteration of glucose and lipid metabolism) are less common with β1-selective (often termed "cardioselective") agents, however receptor selectivity diminishes at higher doses. Beta blockade, especially of the beta-1 receptor at the macula densa, inhibits renin release, thus decreasing the release of aldosterone. This causes hyponatremia and hyperkalemia.

Hypoglycemia can occur with beta blockade because β2-adrenoceptors normally stimulate hepatic glycogen breakdown (glycogenolysis) and pancreatic release of glucagon, which work together to increase plasma glucose. Therefore, blocking β2-adrenoceptors lowers plasma glucose. β1-blockers have fewer metabolic side effects in diabetic patients; however, the tachycardia which serves as a warning sign for insulin-induced hypoglycemia may be masked. Therefore, beta blockers are to be used cautiously in diabetics. [24]

A 2007 study revealed diuretics and beta blockers used for hypertension increase a patient's risk of developing diabetes, while ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor antagonists (angiotensin receptor blockers) actually decrease the risk of diabetes.[25] Clinical guidelines in Great Britain, but not in the United States, call for avoiding diuretics and beta blockers as first-line treatment of hypertension due to the risk of diabetes.[26]

Beta blockers must not be used in the treatment of cocaine, amphetamine, or other alpha-adrenergic stimulant overdose. The blockade of only beta receptors increases hypertension, reduces coronary blood flow, left ventricular function, and cardiac output and tissue perfusion by means of leaving the alpha-adrenergic system stimulation unopposed.[27] The appropriate antihypertensive drugs to administer during hypertensive crisis resulting from stimulant abuse are vasodilators such as nitroglycerin, diuretics such as furosemide and alpha blockers such as phentolamine.[28]

If you are going to take them, be informaed (refuses to give personal opinion.)

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
From Wiki:

Adverse effects

Adverse drug reactions (ADRs) associated with the use of beta blockers include: nausea, diarrhea, bronchospasm, dyspnea, cold extremities, exacerbation of Raynaud's syndrome, bradycardia, hypotension, heart failure, heart block, fatigue, dizziness, alopecia (hair loss), abnormal vision, hallucinations, insomnia, nightmares, sexual dysfunction, erectile dysfunction and/or alteration of glucose and lipid metabolism. Mixed α1/β-antagonist therapy is also commonly associated with orthostatic hypotension. Carvedilol therapy is commonly associated with edema.[22] Due to the high penetration across the blood–brain barrier, lipophilic beta blockers, such as propranolol and metoprolol, are more likely than other, less lipophilic, beta blockers to cause sleep disturbances, such as insomnia and vivid dreams and nightmares.[23]
All drugs including aspirin or caffeine have a long list of possible side effects. It's always a question of balancing the potential pros and cons. The lists of side effects like the ones you quoted or on drug packaging includes ones that are extremely rare.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Did many of the great piano compositions start out...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 03:40 PM
Pearl River GP160 for intermediate player
by PoleStar - 04/17/21 01:27 PM
NV10 has been 3D Printed?
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 01:19 PM
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 10:51 AM
New Yamaha GC2 vs used 1990s Yamaha C3
by Torrax - 04/17/21 09:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,350
Posts3,083,522
Members101,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission