2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (deadlymajesty, Bostonmoores, brdwyguy, David Boyce, An Old Square, claburo, 36251, 13 invisible), 594 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I'm doing some research on technique systems used across the world and need some help getting more info. All I know about directly is RCM, as I am an ARCT graduate of the Royal Conservatory of Music based in Toronto. We have Conservatory Canada as well, but as far as I can tell in 10 years of teaching is that very very few are using this system compared to RCM.

Beyond this, I know only about the ABRSM system, which AFAIK is based from the UK? For some reason, I got the impression somewhere along the way that this system was also widely used in the US.

For the ABRSM system, can anyone point me to where I can find the complete technical requirements for each grade exam?

Otherwise, what are the other big systems (if any) in the world, and where can I get their technical requirements lists? Thanks in advance.

PS: Hopefully I don't have to buy more books just to get these lists, I had to buy the RCM piano syllabus but as an RCM teacher I should have had one by now anyways!

Last edited by kcoul058; 08/30/12 02:32 AM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
You can find the ABRSM syllabus online.

There's also Trinity Guildhall which can be sourced online too.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What are these systems for anyway? Are they a part of each conservatory? Is it a separate requirement, or just part of the school systems' curricula?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
RCM is part of the Royal Conservatory of Music which is in Toronto. Conservatory Canada is from Alberta I think... ABRSM is from London and Trinity Guildhall is from a college of music in London.

They run local and international exams too which are open to all students who learn how to play an instrument and are defined as graded exams, some are part of the school's curricula as well. What each requires of the student is quite different though. RCM is very different from Trinity and ABRSM, I was and am under that system even though I'm live in Singapore cause I studied overseas.

oh yes and I missed out info about the German system since my teacher studied there in the past, i don't know if it has changed. She said they don't really have a syllabus like we do where we pick rep from, rather for those who study at the music schools there they will do for example: one semester of Czerny, another of Bach...so on so forth

Last edited by pianist.ame; 08/29/12 11:35 PM.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
S
S
Is possible with the ABRSM exam to pass directly to the highest level? Meaning without takeing exams 1-8?. Can someone just take the 8th exam to receive full certification?

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Nope, you must take the Grade 5 exam

S
S
That's Grade 5 Theory Exam. If you want to go past Grade 8 exams, ie. Diploma etc, you may need Grade 8 practical.

But for Trinity Guild Hall grades, you don't need to meet Grade 5 Theory criteria.

Originally Posted by pianist.ame
Nope, you must take the Grade 5 exam

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
yup
'ABRSM: Grade 5 (or above) in Theory of Music, Practical Musicianship or a solo Jazz subject'

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Ok, so my point being here, is that are the vast majority of people worldwide studying for piano practical exams that have technique components, studying via either RCM or ABRSM? Are there any other popular examination systems besides these two?

Last edited by kcoul058; 08/30/12 02:35 AM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks pianist.ame.

Anyone know about the difference between the ABRSM 2011/2012 and 2013/2014 piano syllabus versions? When does the 2013/2014 piano syllabus become enforced as the syllabus from which examinees must have their requirements prepared?

Also, how popular is the Trinity Guildhall examination system? Would you say there are hundreds or thousands of examinees for piano each year?

Last edited by kcoul058; 08/30/12 02:38 AM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by kcoul058
Ok, so my point being here, is that are the vast majority of people worldwide studying for piano practical exams that have technique components, studying via either RCM or ABRSM? Are there any other popular examination systems besides these two?

Actually RCM is not used worldwide but only in canada however it is similar to the National Certificate exam in the U.S.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
You're welcome!

Thanks pianist.ame.

Anyone know about the difference between the ABRSM 2011/2012 and 2013/2014 piano syllabus versions? When does the 2013/2014 piano syllabus become enforced as the syllabus from which examinees must have their requirements prepared?

Also, how popular is the Trinity Guildhall examination system? Would you say there are hundreds or thousands of examinees for piano each year?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
[
[...]

That information is available on the ABRSM website; why not go there and find out first-hand for yourself?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P

Actually RCM is not used worldwide but only in canada however it is similar to the National Certificate exam in the U.S.

That's not quite true. RCM is offered in the U.S. They recently partnered with Carnegie but the exams are the same in the U.S. as in Canada.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
[
[...]

That information is available on the ABRSM website; why not go there and find out first-hand for yourself?

Regards,

Ahh I see the answer in the FAQ, it's until May for the UK and Ireland, and a full year of overlap for all other countries. Thanks.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Interesting, it appears to be more than just similar, it is seemingly identical. I might have saved some money just downloading the National Certificate piano syllabus instead of buying the RCM syllabus, but still it's good to have a paper copy on hand, and who knows if there are minor differences that aren't apparent at first glance!

Still, they have identical grade structures for Prep. A and B, Grades 1-10, and the Associate exams for Performers or Teachers.

I also noticed that RCM added a Licentiate exam at some point, seemingly only for Performers. I am interested to take that exam myself if I can work out my RH tension issue.

So to wrap up, I guess that the aforementioned systems represent what the majority of English-speaking countries are taking worldwide? I guess in the US, people are taking a mix of ABRSM, RCM or National Certificate exams, whereas in the UK and Ireland almost everyone is taking ABRSM or Trinity Guildhall. I wonder about Australia, South Africa and New Zealand!

Anyways, unless anyone knows of more info. on the topic not already present here, thanks to everyone for their help in greatly furthering my initial research.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I wonder about Australia, South Africa and New Zealand!
AMEB is widely used in Australia.

Du holde Kunst...
S
S
Many education institutes and exam boards are coming to this part of the world for the fat meat*!

* Kids need extra-curricular certificates to enter into good schools. So many tiger/helicopter moms and dads.

ABRSM (UK);
Trinity (UK);
Shanghai Conservatory of Music (China);
Wiener Musik-Prüfungskommission (Vienna Music Exam Board) (Austria);
Royal Conservatory of Music (Canada) (but not very successful)

S
S
There's also a Yamaha music exam system (but it is not quite popular in my country)...

http://www.yamaha-mf.or.jp/english/edu_system/grade.html (english; simplified content)

http://www.yamaha-mf.or.jp/grade/index.html (japanese)

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
I wonder about Australia, South Africa and New Zealand!
AMEB is widely used in Australia.

Doh, AMEB only has a paid book to get the syllabus (I'm mostly interested in the Technical Requirements for each grade...)

Maybe I can convince my friend in Australia to mail me a copy of the syllabus, this is good to know, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,718
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission