2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
E
Originally Posted by Derulux
Originally Posted by eNOTEquest
I think that the 10,000 hour rule is horribly misleading.

In what way?

Practicing for 10,000 hours is no guarantee that you'll become an advanced player. I'm weary of any "rule" that suggests expertise can be acquired by simply logging in hours, when in many cases the person logging the hours may be doing any number of things incorrectly and not learning (at least not in a way that will produce result recognized by society). They may practice without a teacher and use poor fingerings that actually run them into trouble down the road.

Without doubt, many keen new students hearing of the rule will expect from the get go that they will reach the 10,000 mark and then get discouraged when they don't even make it to 10, leading them to give up early on. It's better to avoid the figure "10,000" and simply say that becoming an advanced player takes lots of time and hard work.

As a diligent learner, you can undoubtedly reach a recognized level of expertise earlier than the 10,000 hours. At the best 10,000 is a good benchmark for some form of a achievement, at worst it misleads the student to passively logging the hours will get them there.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think that the 10,000 hour rule is horribly misleading.

In what way?

Practicing for 10,000 hours is no guarantee that you'll become an advanced player. I'm weary of any "rule" that suggests expertise can be acquired by simply logging in hours, when in many cases the person logging the hours may be doing any number of things incorrectly and not learning (at least not in a way that will produce result recognized by society). They may practice without a teacher and use poor fingerings that actually run them into trouble down the road.

Without doubt, many keen new students hearing of the rule will expect from the get go that they will reach the 10,000 mark and then get discouraged when they don't even make it to 10, leading them to give up early on. It's better to avoid the figure "10,000" and simply say that becoming an advanced player takes lots of time and hard work.

As a diligent learner, you can undoubtedly reach a recognized level of expertise earlier than the 10,000 hours. At the best 10,000 is a good benchmark for some form of a achievement, at worst it misleads the student to passively logging the hours will get them there.

Thanks for the reply! smile

This is the most common response to the 10k rule that I hear. I am certainly no expert on it, but I think it presupposes an argument that is not relevant to the 10k rule discussion.

The 10k rule, so far as I understand it, supposes that it will take a minimum of 10k hours, assuming that the student does everything correctly, to achieve "success" (the term actually used in the book). I think that the notion that a student will not invest the time or the energy to do something correctly or consciously ("passively") negates the 10k hour rule, since I believe the rule supposes that the individual actually wants to achieve this thing, and will do whatever is necessary to achieve it. I also do not believe the 10k rule guarantees success, only that those who find that success have, generally, amassed the "required" 10k hours.

To pull out one line and address it more directly:
It's better to avoid the figure "10,000" and simply say that becoming an advanced player takes lots of time and hard work.

I think this is, relatively, semantics. At 2 hours per day, 5 days per week, it would take someone 19.23 years to reach the 10k hours mark. That's a lot of hard work and time. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have not read every post on this thread, so this may be redundant, and is an extrapolation of my earlier post.

The 10K hours thing is bogus IMHO, one reason because it has attached to it a lot of ifs, ands, and buts.

First, the whole thing is based upon the assumption that "Practice makes perfect"; Thus, 10K hours of this thing called "practice" will allegedly yield (perfect) an "advanced player".

The problem is that any old practice does NOT make perfect. Instead, what practice does is make permanent whatever was practiced.

Thus, if one is practicing incorrectly, what will be made permanent is those practiced-in errors, limitations, dead-ends, etc.

The truth version of that quote is this: Perfect practice makes perfect.

Therefore, learning how to practice correctly, as it relates to how you as an individual person learns, is absolutely key to the goal of becoming an "advanced player" at any age, with any amount of time spent "practicing".

Also, there is the question of talent. Some claim that talent does not factor in here, that we are just programmable blobs of whatever, but I can tell you as a teacher that talent factors in big time.

I am not going to get into the talent thing very far, as it has been thrashed about here over and over. But simply put, years or teaching and playing music professionally has shown me without any doubt that some people learn to play quite quickly, others not so fast, others very slowly, and a few very very very slowly.

So, because you can't change your talent, if you want to become an advanced player (at any age), the thing to do is learn how to practice correctly.

The proven best way to accomplish that goal is to find and study with good/great teacher. If you truly are serious, enough so that you are willing to put in the 10K or whatever hours, a teacher should be at the top of your priority list. A good teacher will guide you in the best way to learn, help you to avoid dead-ends, and basically facilitate and ease the whole thing much better that you can alone.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
So envious of the time you have available... I could do the same... if I got a divorce :-)

Happily married for thirty years, I do my thing, he does his. That's the secret.

Hmmm. It's hard to practice and hard to pick time to record. He's a nice guy but TV watching is what he wants to do in his spare time. He watch TV while I practice and we get louder and louder .. Throw in some loud noises from my dog's squeaky toys.. Ah my blissful home life. I am gonna create a sound proof music room someday.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I don't know when or if I'll ever be an "advanced" player, and I doubt I would ever call myself that no matter what. It means a lot to me, though, to be able to say I'm continually advancing.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by rocket88
I have not read every post on this thread, so this may be redundant.

Never fear, it is. laugh

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by -Frycek
I wonder if we scared him off - - -

LOL laugh

If not, this might..

It is quite possible. Age is not a barrier. Time is. Sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but I'm not. I've read that it takes approximately 10,000 hours of dedicated study to become a "master" at something. So, at one hour a day, that's 10,000 days or about 27.5 years. Someone who begins at 30 and expects to be an expert by 31 is most assuredly not going to make it.. but by no means is it impossible to eventually reach your goal. It just depends on how much time you have available to dedicate towards that goal.

.... but it doesn't take that many hours for your listeners to think you play pretty darn good.

Last edited by Rerun; 08/30/12 07:35 AM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

E
E

It's better to avoid the figure "10,000" and simply say that becoming an advanced player takes lots of time and hard work.

I think this is, relatively, semantics. At 2 hours per day, 5 days per week, it would take someone 19.23 years to reach the 10k hours mark. That's a lot of hard work and time. wink

I agree with most of what you say. I suppose you could say that someone who uses that formula is likely or almost guaranteed to reach success on an advanced level.

However my concern is the reaction to it as illustrated in my above post. I think one should be aware of the 10,000 h/d rule, but take it with a grain of salt. 20 years is a long time, and it can be almost discouraging for younger players to think that they'll have to "wait that long" to become an advanced player.

Yes, it is about the journey, but the destination is fun too. I would like most players to be aware that the 10,000 is at least somewhat flexible.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the reason the 10,000 hour rule is bogus is because it is being misinterpreted. Gladwell has a whole chapter on it in his book 'Outliers'. I believe he came up with that concept.

The rule was not that "if you do something for 10,000 hours, you become advanced".

The advice given here is probably better than the made up rule. Enjoy yourself, practice the right stuff, with the right teacher, etc... Then, good luck defining advanced. It's more something that you can define for yourself. One day you say "Hey, I'm pretty advanced aren't I?"

E
E
Originally Posted by knotty
I think the reason the 10,000 hour rule is bogus is because it is being misinterpreted. Gladwell has a whole chapter on it in his book 'Outliers'. I believe he came up with that concept.

The rule was not that "if you do something for 10,000 hours, you become advanced".

The advice given here is probably better than the made up rule. Enjoy yourself, practice the right stuff, with the right teacher, etc... Then, good luck defining advanced. It's more something that you can define for yourself. One day you say "Hey, I'm pretty advanced aren't I?"

YES.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"Nil volentibus arduum.....that's Latin for.... Nothing is difficult for those who really want...."

Thank you for that; it is beautifully said.

Please excuse my not using the diacritical characters in transliterating the Sanscrit:

Tivra-samveganam asannah
"It is nearest to those whose desire is intensely strong." Patanjali Yoga Sutras, Book One, Sutra 21

Hmmm....so you can see......other part of the world......same thinking.....

Nil novi sub sole.........

Cheers

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Originally Posted by Johan B
Hi BBM,

I use to think...... Nil volentibus arduum.....

Johan B

You used to think that? In Latin? In a dead language? Really? And if so why "used to..."?

I'm thinking Absolutum Absurdum laugh

Also Latin?....... But very nice....

Cheers,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission