2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
R
R
Finally, found time to get to the computer to thank all people who spent their time to comment on the performances. SwissMS, PianoStudent88, wouter79, CMohr, Clemente, Peyton, DadAgain, Bobpicle, Andy Platt, Sam S, Cookie74, AndyMc, Inlanding, BillM, TX-Dennis, Mile Hi Steve, CarlosCC , thank you very much for all you kind comments! They are really stimulating and inspiring!

Originally Posted by SwissMS

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2 I love this waltz too! I played it in a previous recital.

Yes, I remember your performance and I liked it very much. Totally different approach, but it created a mood of innocence, naivety, hesitation… beautiful!

Originally Posted by wouter79
55 RedKat
Small point: please wait till the last note died before turning off the recorder.

I know smile . My neighbor has put on his grass mower right at the end of the last note mad . I had to cut it off. It happened to be my best version and I didn’t have time to re-record it.

Originally Posted by CMohr

[b] 55. I didn't notice any wrong notes, probably because of your confident playing. I also love the sound of your recording. It's as if you're playing in a small concert hall.

There were in the LH but not much noticeable smile . The trick with the recording is that I place mike 1.5 – 2 meters in front of my upright (actually, it is behind my back).

Originally Posted by Clemente

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
I agree with what you say about the length and the red dot pressure.

How do you cope with it? As a child, I performed a lot playing violin in front of the audience. No problem that time. Now, being a big and strong adult I can hardly deal with that small red dot smile.

Originally Posted by DadAgain

I'm not convinced about all your rubato in the first section (and its reprisal), but perhaps its just *different* to how I'd do it? (I cant put my finger on what I'd do different - sorry!).

I expected this critic about my rubato. But this is how I feel and cannot do much about it grin .
Originally Posted by Bobpicle

55.Redkat – Though I feel the tempo could’ve been a bit more secure in places (like I critiqued mine! Haha),

Agree, but I wanted to keep that waltz spinning tempo and I was afraid of losing it, if played slower.

Originally Posted by Andy Platt

You kept the waltz feeling in the accompaniment. I think a slight change of mood in the trio perhaps? I'm glad you tackled the "hard" version of this though - it's fuller than the other version in my opinion!

Andy, what do you mean by “the trio”? Is there another version of this piece?

Originally Posted by Cookie74

55. I didn’t hear the mistakes you were talking about in your description.

This is good that they are difficult to spot smile . Actually, there are a couple of them in the LH.

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis

[b] 55 RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2, Chopin
Despite your assertions to the contrary I don't really hear much wrong with this performance, RedKat. This is an enjoyable performance.

Well… I might be too self-critical. I am a bit perfectionist smile.

[Linked Image]
K
K
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
perhaps a teeny bit more dynamic range?

Good point. I've noticed that myself, but I think in Jazz, apart from big band, there generally isn't as much dynamic range as say in Classical.

Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
What would it sound like if you added a bit of swing to the downward runs?

I need to listen to Monk's version again. I think he may have played the whole piece with more swing. Thanks for pointing that out.

Originally Posted by kenjazz
Have you tried exploring the lyrical side of Monk with a ballad like Ruby, My Dear or even Round Midnight?

I'm just going through the book in chronological order (all the tunes sound good smile ). Now that you mention it, only the first tune which I played a few recitals ago "Ask Me Now" is on the lyrical side. I've actually just started transcribing Bill Evan's version of "Round Midnight" but it's going to be a long process which I doubt will ever be ready for public consumption.

I just checked online and the tunes you mention are in the Intermediate version of the book so that will have to come later smile

Thanks to everyone else as well for you kind comments.

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Peyton for your kind comment!

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree
Wow, Cheryl! It’s impressive to see how your technique is maturing lately; that smooth touch is the result of an excellent job. I loved your confident playing on both pieces, they are played very musically. My compliments on your performances, Cheryl!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme
This is a really touching version of this beautiful song, Jeff. You play it with big enthusiasm, and you performance transmits the melancholy of this music easily. Lovely performance, Jeff!

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue
I hadn’t listened to this piece before, and I loved it, especially I enjoyed its rich variations. And what can I say about your performance, Ed? It’s absolutely awesome, enormous, every section is developed so fantastically, that the whole performance really impresses. Thanks for sharing your work, Ed.

17. ladypayne - A New Change
I don’t know if I’m wrong, but while I listened to your song, I thought you were describing your sensations about your trip and your new life through your composition, sensations full of hope and expectation. I really enjoyed your song, Ladypayne.

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor
I loved the personal character you give to this Mazurka. It’s necessary to be an excellent musician to play a master work with an own mark, and you managed to do it. Fantastic job, Peyton.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1
For sure every Prelude and Fugue from the WTC is extremely difficult to play. Despite you say this is a work in progress, the different voices sound clearly and musically in both prelude and fugue. I hope we can listen to your “definitive” recording soon, Sam.

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil
I still remember how much I loved the sweetness of Amélie when I saw the film. Your performance has reminded me perfectly that warm character. Very nice playing Amaruk.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home
Very good production, kenjazz, the whole recording sounds really pro. Your playing on the piano matches the rest of sounds perfectly.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss
You composed a nice song again TrueBeginner, I especially liked how the left hand defines this sad melody.

11. Jazztpt - Lament
Wonderful music, Jazztpt. Your composition creates a serene atmosphere that offers deep emotions, it’s really touching. Thanks for sharing so personal work, Jazztpt, I loved it.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
BenPiano, thank you for your really nice comment! I always listen to my mother. smile

Jotur
, thanks for the uplifting comments, too!

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My fourth recital and of the ones I have participated in I think the best yet.

A few more thank yous, Amaruk, Peyton & Racaredo many thanks for your wonderful positive comments.
Amaruk, unfortunately I don't play horns anymore but who knows maybe one day..............

47. DadAgains_Daughter - Invention in F Major
Note perfect and clean with nice dynamics and only eight years old, simply wonderful.

48. DadAgain - Prelude and Fugue XX - A minor
Very nicely played, so nice that you can share your music with your daughter, she has a wonderful example to follow.

49. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Dance of the Blessed Spirits
I don't think I have heard any Gluck for 30 odd years, I enjoyed it, well played.

50. Falmc - Sweet Sereny
Beautiful song and a lovely arrangement perfectly played. A loving tribute to your girlfriend, touching and heartfelt.

51. Clemente - Andalucia (to do)
You really get the feel of piece and play with great abandon and joy , loved it. I think I have commented before but cool website.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight
Well done on your first recording, sweet little piece, nice.

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1)
You played this very nicely, no need to worry how others play it.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
What beautiful playing and touch, lovely.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
Professional interpretation and playing of a lovely Chopin piece.

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska)
Very flowing performance of what must be a very difficult piece.
Is your DP connected directly to your PC? The 305 sounds a bit muddy much like my 101, I have tried a 305 and the sound is much more alive in the flesh as it were, unlike my 101 which usually sounds a dead and flat to me. Considering an upgrade but really confused about which way to go.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
Nice to hear another version of this, Andy's version inspired me to seek out the music, I have never played Chopin before. This was very well controlled and after only 5 months wonderful.

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1
Lovely composition which fits the title and the video perfectly, restfull. Thanks for posting the score, what did you use to create it?

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano
Another amazing original, wonderfully flowing music with lots of nice changes in mood.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness
Another winner Bill, liked the little blues touches.

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings
A sweet little piece, I enjoyed it.

Jazztpt

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Everyone, I am just back from 5 weeks away from home and can not wait to start listening.
I've been going nuts wanting to get on and get started, but that has just added flavour to the anticipation!

I'd like to thank everyone for their very kind comments and feedback.

Inlanding Cheryl - this is such an improvement over previous interpretations. Rigaudon is very well played. I can tell you are listening to the music as you play it, which helps you connect your expression to playing the notes. Entree is very solid and you are playing according to the notations. I always look forward to your music, Cheryl. Each e-cital you bring an improved sense of the music and your technique has improved greatly.

Thank you so much Glen. I really did feel I crossed over some sort of hurdle with these pieces and it is very rewarding to hear that it showed! Your encouragement this past year has really meant a lot to me.

Andy Platt - Very confident pieces, delightfully played. I particularly enjoyed the articulation and the variation between the pieces.

Andy, I've enjoyed so much of your music, I'm really chuffed you enjoyed mine!

Jotur My favorite piano era. I love the defined, confident, stately ending of the first one, and the second was a delight.
A delight!! Well, who could ask for anything more! Thanks Cathy!

SwissMS Both pieces sound like two voice inventions. You did a good job of bringing out each voice. They are like puzzles. Very nice job! Bach here you come!

Thank you very much! These were a challenge, and I am indeed looking forward to getting into some Bach very soon!!

Clemente Loved your idea of “a puzzle fitting together.” You played this very well.

Thank you so much!

Cmohr Perfect choice in pairing the two pieces. They really flow together well. Rigaudon is played with the perfect touch and feeling. The Entree is assuredly played - your confidence is shining through. Nice duo you've presented. A completely pleasant listen!
I am so glad you enjoyed my playing! Thank you!

Bobpickle I like your approach to recording – maybe I’ll try employing it next time (I say that now until I screw up mid-take, haha). You did well with both pieces, especially the first, considering your self-restrictions.
Thanks very much Bob. I really find that if I let myself record over and over, I just get more frustrated and make more mistakes. I also feel that allowing only a couple of takes really does reflect where I am at this point in time.

CarlosCC Cheryl, this is a very concentrated and clean interpretation. I like your image of a "puzzle" because that's exactly what seems to me too. Congratulations!
Thanks very much Carlos. You are right about the concentration. My brain had to struggle a bit with some of these measures!!

BillM I make a point to read your entries in the AOTW thread – you have such a positive outlook on learning the piano and your enthusiasm is contagious. I enjoyed listening to you play.
Thank you so much Bill, I do try to stay positive... it doesn't always work, but I try. I am so glad you enjoyed my playing --- I have so often enjoyed yours!!

SamS Every time the recital comes around I am delighted by your progress. I think I heard some pedal in there too! Keep up the good work!
Thank you so much Sam... I love the fact that you've been listening to me for a while now and can hear the progress.

Andy MC I like your description of the music like a puzzle. Your performance fits together nicely.

Thanks very much Andy!

Jazzwee Darn, I missed you playing on the acoustic because on that I can really hear your tone as you really dig deep into the keys. Here your lovely playing is obscured by the limitations of the device. Also you play less legato here than before so don't forget to focus on that more. Still you have progressed so well in all this time and I'm very happy to hear changes at every recital. Great work.

Thanks very much Jazzwee, I've really appreciated your comments through the previous recitals, and thanks for the advice. I'll try to do the next one on the acoustic.... it just gets tricky with the churchbells being only 100meters from the house and surprisingly unpredictable. The hour and the half hour ok... you can work with that...but then they ring at the oddest times, for no apparent reason..........

Lady Chen Nice job on two classic piano pieces! I especially enjoyed the Leopold Mozart. I'll have to try eating pastries and cafe au lait before my next recording...
Yes, I'm sure the pastries helped. smile Thank you very much, I'm so glad you enjoyed the music!

StarrKeys Whether in classical or modern music, baseline melodies are challenging. Nice counterpoint! You had me humming the melody afterwards, which rarely happens when I listen to this period music. And how cool to be studying this stuff in Europe where you can just take a walk and probably see cultural artifacts from the time when the music was written.
Thank you so much StarrKeys! My husband walks around humming these pieces too smile You're right, I do have a rather charming environment for my musical education.

Recaredo Wow, Cheryl! It’s impressive to see how your technique is maturing lately; that smooth touch is the result of an excellent job. I loved your confident playing on both pieces, they are played very musically. My compliments on your performances, Cheryl!
Thank you so much Recaredo! I know we struggle with similar things, and it is so much fun to share in each other's progress.

I really look forward to getting into the listening.... tomorrow when I am less jet lagged!

ciao for now!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thank you Jotur for your kind remarks about my accompaniment.

Here are some random performance comments:

29. Mar_red You are one of my top five favorite players at this site. I love love your style. This one reminds me of some of the 60's arrangements on films scored by Henry Mancini, like Charade and Two for the Road. I haven't seen the Roman Polanksy film for years and, hearing the song now, I realize I never really appreciated how beautiful the music was and how much it had to do with the tone and impact of the film. Thanks you for reintroducing me to it making me appreciate it properly. You were born to do this. I can't wait to hear what you come up with next.

32. Trapper John You have a beautiful expressive touch. You could almost be Mar_red at an earlier stage of his musical development before he learned to play by ear [well, if someone told me you were, anyway, I wouldn't question it]. Great job on a popular Broadway favorite!

35. Desperado So this is the product of one year piano study when someone's playing is totally emotional, chord-based and song-driven. If there ever was evidence that it really doesn't have to take 10,000 hours to learn to play the piano, this is it! Perfect vocal and accompaniment! Your voice reminds me of Rod Stewart and Tom Waits (though without the broken and quite so wiskey soaked voice), which is perfect for this song. Thank you for this!

38. Augustina Oh to be this accomplished at 26! What beautiful playing! I have always been impressed by the sensitivity and emotion in your playing, but I was restrained in my praise because I know from my own experience and seeing others do it, it is too easy to cover up rhythmic issues with expressive phrasing that glosses over these problems. But there was none of that here and I can say without reserve, that was great! You've come a long way baby!

39. CMohr This was also one of my father's top 3 favorites of all times, and he knew them all. He must have played it on an average of twice a week for most of his life. I got so sick of hearing it, I never thought I'd enjoy listening to it again. But I was wrong. Listening to you is always a pleasure and this was a very different arrangement than any I've ever heard before. You have become quite the jazz/cocktail stylist. I know you feel very indebted to your teacher for encouraging you to find your own original style while giving you the perfect container to do so. I envy you finding such a teacher and blooming so brilliant under his care. Congratulation on a fantastic arrangement and branching out into improvisation!

40. Serge You really have arrived! Everything you've done this year sounds smooth as velvet, but this is the most sophisticated piece yet. You sound ready to launch a career that could reach the heights of a David Benoit or the likes. Very cool stuff!

Last edited by Starr Keys; 08/25/12 05:19 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture
Great start, Diana! You play this little piece with solid rhythm, and your piano sound is really clear. Excellent job on both hands!

08. CarlosCC - Ambers
Carlos, you have mastered Long’s music at the first attempt, so of course you made the right decision. Your interpretation is so good, that the piece seems to be composed for piano solo. Lovely playing, as usual!

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
I remember in AOTW thread you told that you were making great progresses about avoiding hand tension. Your performance is the perfect sample of this job. The whole nocturne is played smoothly, with sensitive touch. Fantastic rendition, Swiss!

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song)
I always get impressed by your excellent ear, Mr Super Hunky; clearly your “noodle method” is reserved for very talented pianists like you are. You made a sophisticated version of this song, with many nice details and fine ornaments, with a marvellous playing, as usual.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3
It has been a pleasure to listen to your performance, Glen. Schumann is one of my favourite composers, but I didn’t know this piece. Your performance is splendid from any point of view, in addition it shows Schumann’s language naturally, without any strain. I do hope you’re back at the piano very soon, Glen.

04. Jazzwee - Invitation
I think I haven’t listened to your band before, Jazzwee, and this recording has been a pleasant surprise. You all are so talented. About your playing on the piano, that complex harmony is solved fantastically by your great technique, as usual. It was great to listen to a live recording; thanks for sharing it, Jazzwee.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6
Excellent rendition on Scriabin’s music, Ben! Your smooth touch does a great job with this prelude, and all those dissonances sound really natural under your playing. Loved it!

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3
Very relax performance on this warm piece of music. I especially liked the rubato of your playing, which gives a charming character to your rendition.

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12)
Interesting piece by Rameau, which I didn’t know, as usual. I liked all those sharp sections. I’m curious to listen to the original version for harpsichord.

This has been another fantastic ABF recital, and I wanted to thank both organizers and participants for making possible this event. Taking part in this recital is a unique experience for a piano learner like me. So a big thanks to everyone.

My best wishes to you all.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Some more comments:

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2 - very nice. I thought your dynamics were beautifully nuanced. I liked your tempo for the B section, it didn't sound slow to me at all. Overall, a very sensitive and musical performance.

23. MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649 - I really liked this. I clicked on the audio link before reading the title/composer, and my first impression was that it sounded like an Italian madrigal. I was off by about a hundred years lol. But Purcell is a favorite of mine, even though this doesn't have his usual 'English' sound IMO. Anyways, a fine performance -- you should be very proud of what you have accomplished in 4 months!

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale - I keep hearing about this Einaudi guy in ABF, but this is the first piece I've actually listened to. Beautiful job! I share your frustration on those pp notes that don't sound. Something you can try is playing with your fingers very close to the keys (or at least, this helps on an acoustic piano, not sure about your digital, but it's worth a try).

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor - All you guys who play Bach have a special place in my heart. You just can't hide anything with Bach -- it's all out there for everyone to hear. You have a nice firm touch and strong tone. Great job!

26. Mile Hi Steve - Showalter - Is this your own arrangement? It's beautiful and you play it really well. I'm a church musician, so I just love all these contemporary hymn arrangements. oh, and your lunch sounded fabulous! smile

27. Bobpickle June - (Barcarolle) - My goodness, this is beautiful. Truly, you've been only playing for 8 months? Your phrasing and rubato is gorgeous, and you have a nice balance between hands. Great job with the syncopated section as well.

28. joangolfing - The Poet Speaks - Nice job! It brought back fond memories listening to this -- I played the complete Kinderszenen a long long time ago. It used to drive me crazy trying to play those few last chords at ppp and have all the notes sound completely together! It sounds like you managed nicely smile.

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby - Thanks for sharing this beautiful arrangement. It's nice to hear something by a Polish composer other than that really famous guy wink.

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1 - Talk about pressure -- trying to record this before they roll your piano away! And nevermind the stress of moving. A beautiful and precise performance, thanks for sharing.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag - wow, this is awesome! I hate playing those leaping bass lines in ragtime (well, all dance music, really) -- you do such a nice job of this.

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing you were somehow here again - Thanks for sharing this tender performance. This song has such a beautiful soaring melody -- I can tell you really love it.

33. knotty - Petite Fleur - Loved this -- that's a heck of a group you play with. I enjoyed your solo and you do a great job behind the other soloists too.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E minor - Beautiful. This is one of those pieces that looks really simple on paper but once you start playing it, it's a killer. Especially that left hand -- what do you do with all those chords and make them sound nice and like they are going somewhere? You do a nice job of this -- I thought it was a very musical performance. I'd be interested in hearing it with just a little bit less rubato (still use rubato, but maybe not to such an extent). Really nice work on this.

35. Newman - Desperado - Is this you singing? This is great! I love your raspy sound smile. Piano is great too -- just the right amount to support the vocal line.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Today was the first day I got to sit and really start listening to the recital. What a great set so far! Here are my comments on the first part:

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12) You really did well in the evoking the "chicken" feeling. Funny, but it sounds more modern than 1726.

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 How sentimental! Yet you have a bit of lightness about the right hand that keeps it from becoming mushy. Very nice.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 There is a pensive feel that you bring to this. Nice playing on a piece that isn't really straightforward.

04. Jazzwee - Invitation Nice playing! I like the live aspect of it, even though it is a bit difficult to hear the piano.

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 Glen, I didn't realize that you didn't take lessons. You have a true feel for this instrument, and it is so evident in how you play this piece. I can only imagine where lessons would take you. Go for it!

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song) So pretty! You do a great job with this method of playing. Your accompaniment just flows.

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2 Beautifully played! So clear and delicate. I have wanted to learn this for some time now, and you inspired me to push it up higher on my list.

08. CarlosCC - Ambers I don't think the lack of accompaniment hurts the piece at all -- you just need to appreciate that delicacy that attracted you at first. Despite not loving it any more, you play it with feeling that you comes across to the listener.

09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture Very nice! I like the slight pauses you add. Great progress after 5 months!

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. I'm not familiar with this piece, but you seem to play it quite well. Sometimes it's fun to stretch and try something beyond our abilities, especially when it's something that inspires us. You're doing great!

11. Jazztpt - Lament This sounds so perfectly suited for the piano, I can't imagine it played on a horn. I hear wistful remembrances in this piece. Heartfelt playing, for sure.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss I love watching your little piano-guy avatar playing while I listen to your music. It really seems like he's playing the song! Nice, full sound for this romantic piece.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home I liked this, Ken! (That's a bit of a surprise to me, because I don't think of myself as a jazz fan.) The drums sound good in this arrangement. I like that little glissando that you had in there. Sounds like you had fun with this.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
A
A
I have been really busy the last month. So I haven't had any time to listen to the recital yet. I"m hoping tomorrow!:) Here is the first 2 pieces I listened to!

Also thank you everyone for such nice comments on my piece!:):):):):):)

1. Wouter79- La Poule- Fantastic!:)

2. Dannylux- Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova op.59 No. 3- Such a pretty piece, You played it so smoothly. I love it!:)

Last edited by Augustina; 08/26/12 02:54 AM.

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
7- SwissMS- Always such a nice choice for a Chopin nocturne. You have a nice grasp of the "feeling" for it. Good playing. I hope you keep working it.

12.-wastruebeginner- Once again you have come up with a beautiful melody. A very moving poignant piece.

22. LadyChen- This nocturne always gives me chills. You do a masterful job!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Some more random comments

31. Jotur - I always feel honored by your participation and was really looking forward to hearing your contribution. I wasn't disappointed. Quite an accomplishment to play these rags at such a lively pace. And how many people are specializing in performing this kind of music nowadays? Your band must create a very special atmosphere and if your audience is anything like me, they must have a blast. Thanks for sharing.

44. Ken I'm listening more carefully to Monk than I ever have thanks to you. I never fully appreciated his influence on jazz before. But listening to your color voicing, runs and playful rhythms, I'm starting to hear it. Like Jotur's, here is another ecital specialization you don't see everyday. Thanks for"keep[ing] the music playing!"

47. DadAgain's Daughter Wow! You have to be making your Dad incredibly proud. It's not that often we get to see someone so accomplished playing Bach on video here, let alone someone your age! Your brain must be be creating new synapses at the speed of light. Great work!

48. Mike White - I think you're amazing! Another person whose name I always look for on the roster. This piece sounds plenty hard to me--and definitely worth memorizing. The wonder is that you play it so well without having to. I'm wondering how much your ability to play by ear is responsible for that. It's hymnal quality reminds me of the fact that I've heard several church pianists say they'd played from the sheet for years and felt that they should learn to play be ear in order to do their job better. I don't know if you play in church but you seem to have taken the opposite path but it's still led you to Rome (no pun intended). I wish my husband was here to give me the Latin translation for "blessed journey".

49. Falmc Another David Benoit in the making! You play this with so much skill and feeling. I'm sure you could get a full time job teaching piano based on this video alone. The fact that you also composed it yourself makes you a triple threat as the successor to the Benoit legend. [I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for the help you gave me in making my video presentation possible. I literally couldn't have done it without you. :)]

Last edited by Starr Keys; 08/26/12 02:18 PM.
D
D
I somehow still haven’t found time to write out reviews for all the pieces, but I didn’t want to wait any longer to thank everyone for their comments: Greener, SwissMS, PianoStudent88, kenjazz, Monica K., Sam S, Clemente, Bobpickle, Andy Platt, CMohr, Cookie74, AndyMc, Inlanding, TX-Dennis, BillM, CarlosCC, Recaredo, Riddler, Mile Hi Steve, jazztpt, jotur. Thank you for listening and for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

I will do one while I’m here since the song is stuck in my head right now:
26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms This has been one of my favorite hymns since I was a kid. There’s a version on YouTube that I was thinking about learning, but I like yours even better. Great arrangement and great playing.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Next set:

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil Nicely played. I like your phrasing and changes in tempo.

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1 I'm admiring your trills -- usually something I have to struggle with. I'm in the midst of learning a three-part invention (and it's one of the "easy" ones), so I know what you mean about the difficulty of Bach's music. It sounds like you're playing more confidently with the fugue. You did great with this.

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor What an interesting piece! I don't believe I've heard this one by Chopin before, so thanks for bringing it to this recital. I enjoyed your performance of it.

17. ladypayne - A New Change Loved it! As I listened, I imagined speeding down a highway far from home, on to something unknown but exciting. Good luck in your new home!

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth Avenue This is great! Laughing at your reminiscence of "Mrs. Calabash". But think about it, could you really have played it this way back when you were taking lessons from her? Maybe now was the perfect time.

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme You evoke a dark mood here. I can almost hear the tears.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree Your performance of the Rigaudon is delightful! But then I am partial to Handel's music. The Entree is sweet too; you play it so gracefully. I love that Music for Millions series. The books are packed full of great music.

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2 This was enjoyable to listen to. You handle all the mood changes (and tricky rhythms) so adeptly.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
A second round of thanks, this time to: Inlanding, Recardo, TX-Dennis, CarlosCC, Kenjazz, BillM, jotur and jazzpt; your comments are an encouragement. Hope I got everyone, and thanks for helping my first e-cital to be a great experience.

Also, wanted to respond to a few questions, thanks for your interest:

Originally Posted by kenjazz

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1 This is a beautiful piece Andy. I’m struck by how many people were able to do remarkable originals for the recital. How long did it take you to compose and refine, it seems rather intricate?

Thanks, it took a week to write this, 1-2 hours a night. Usually takes me a little longer but this one just seemed to come more easily.

Originally Posted by jazztpt

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1
Lovely composition which fits the title and the video perfectly, restfull. Thanks for posting the score, what did you use to create it?

Thanks for taking time to watch the video. I used Finale (2007 version) to create the sheet music. Saving up for an upgrade!

"And the night shall be filled with music..." -Longfellow
http://www.lineandlandscape.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
More thank-yous and comments-on-comments:

Peyton - I think the arrangement is the same of the original music. I only added some speed. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks!

Recaredo - ¡Hola, Long's music is near from what I'm used to play, although I think Einaudi's music is much richer (and hard to play!). Muchas Gracias! smile

MaryBee - You're right. It was the delicacy of the melody that attracted me at first. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Finally! I've been able to sit and enjoy a good round of performances.

As always I'm just thrilled to hear what everyone has to offer - from the new arrivals to the "old" regulars, each piece is a little gem of personal endeavour to be savoured.

Here is my first batch of feedback!

01. wouter79 - La Poule (Nouvelles suites de pieces de clavecin, No.12) Another brilliant launch to the recital! This piece is new to me and I have to say I just love it. I think your clucking hens were very cheerful. This is a very richly toned piece, delightful contrasts, I loved how the notes trickled and flowed over each other. Well done Wouter!

02. dannylux / Mel - Bortkiewicz Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3 Another piece that I have never heard before. Rich, flowing, romantic, poetic. I felt I could melt into this piece. There are nuances of melancholy, somehow it conjures up a seaside scene: at times stormy, at times with the sun breaking through the clouds. I was enchanted with your performance.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 Interesting piece. Romantic period, but hints of jazz tones to my mind! Great articulation and fluidity Ben, well done!

04. Jazzwee - Invitation Very nifty. I am so impressed with what you can do with your improvisations, I think this piece would be wonderful to dance to. Delightful!

05. Inlanding - Glen - Warum? Op 12 No 3 Glen this piece is entirely charming, and your performance of it has truly captured the richness of tones and textures within the piece. Though the piece might be questioning in and of itself, there is no question about your abilities to bring it to life. I think it is a bittersweet piece, and the fact that this was one of your father’s favourites which you now play on his piano adds to that sensation. Beautifully played Glen. I hope that it won’t be long til you are able to get back to the keyboard regularly!!!!!!

06. Mr Super Hunky - There is love (The wedding song) Another captivating Mr. Super-Hunky noodling production. Most enjoyable, I could picture sun shining down on a radiant couple as they say their vows.

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2 One of the Chopin pieces I know by name! What a treat. You play it with a charmingly delicate touch, confidently and smoothly. Beautiful attention to the little details in the dynamics and charming trills. Complimenti !!!

08. CarlosCC - Ambers Interesting to hear you play something that is not Einaudi in the recital! After hearing about your work on this piece in AOTW, I have been very curious to hear this piece. I am sorry to hear that you felt disappointed with it. I think you did a lovely job bringing it to life. You brought out depth and feeling, there were clearly different voices having a conversation in this work. Well done Carlos, bravo!

09. Diana - Raymond - Theme from Overture Benvenuto al saggio virtuale!
Stai suonando da solo cinque mese? Un brano breve ma carino, molto piacevole! Complimenti!

10. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Piano sonata No 25 Op 79. Second movement. Recaredo, I don’t think this piece was above your level…. Maybe you needed to dedicate some effort to it, but you have done a lovely job. I really understand your desire to play a specific composer (I long to get Chopin under my hands!!!) I am so very impressed with what you have accomplished with this piece. I hope you feel very proud of your work, you did a marvelous job on this piece and it was a true pleasure to listen to your performance.

11. Jazztpt - Lament Thank you for sharing the background to this piece. What a lovely memorial to the person you lost. The emotion within this piece comes forth clearly and the lamentation is heart piercing.

12. (Was)TrueBeginner - Goodnight Kiss More original work! I see a ballet in this piece, elegant dancers with robes and ribbons flowing as they glide and gracefully twirl like falling leaves stirred by gentle winds. There is a mournful quality to this piece which makes me think that the goodnight kiss is more than a simple goodnight, more of a good-bye. Lovely composition.

13. kenjazz - A House Is Not A Home What a lively sparkling piece! My toes are tapping as I listen. Most enjoyable!

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil I first heard Tierson works here in the ABF recitals, and this one is another delightful addition to my Tierson experiences. I can see why you enjoy playing it, it is charming. The beginning does seem simple compared to what follows, I think you did very well in bringing out the fullness of the tones and voices in this work. Beautifully played!

15. Sam S - Prelude and Fugue X WTC1 A work in progress? I will be thrilled to hear it when you feel it is a work completed. It does sound very challenging, yet I think you did an excellent job of maintaining the flow and playing with impressive articulation and clarity. I thoroughly enjoyed this performance! Complimenti !!

16. Peyton - Mazurka #4 in A Minor Chopin sounds easy sometimes, and yet… and yet…. What a challenge! I enjoyed the expression you put into your performance – I’m not familiar with this particular piece, but was fascinated by the modulations in tempo and mood. Gorgeous dynamics. Thank you for such an elegant introduction to this piece!

17. ladypayne - A New Change What an adventure you are starting! This music is so appropriate to the majesty of the territory you were driving through. This piece is joyful and full of positive energy – surging with life and excitement. Complimenti indeed, and my very best wishes for your time in Alaska!

18. Riddler (Ed) - Slaughter On Tenth AvenueEd, I think I enjoyed your background story almost as much as your performance. The title of the piece seems overly gory compared to the cheerfulness it starts with! I can just see the chorus girls shimmering and glittering! What a great, energetic FUN piece. Mrs. Calabash…wherever you are, I hope you listened!

19. Greener / Jeff Green - Schindler's List - Theme One of my favourite serious films, I love this music. You’ve played it with the heartbreaking poignancy it needs. This music touches the heart and soul of those who hear it. You played it beautifully. Thank you.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree Note to self: Rigaudon….relax, you know the piece, there’s no reason for such hesitations! You did pretty well, but can improve. Entrée was nicely done, you have permission to feel a bit pleased about it.

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Round 2!

21. timmyab - Moment musical Nr.2 Another new piece I’ve been introduced to today! Most enjoyable, the contrast between the sections is quite interesting and I can see why you said they were a challenge. I think you’ve pulled this off very nicely. Very enjoyable.

22. Lady Chen - Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1 More Chopin, wonderful. This seems rather sad, doesn’t it? Here is another piece I imagine with ballet dancers. I love the drama and the underlying power. You’ve played it decisively and with clear strength and delicacy as needed. Lovely playing, I really enjoyed this.

23. MrPozor - Minuet in A minor - Z649 I love Purcell! This is a very handsome piece and nicely played indeed. Great job, you are off to a good start Mr. Pozor!

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale Well, we are our own harshest critics, aren’t we? For those unfamiliar with this piece (such as myself) this is a delightfully flowing piece evocative of woodland glens and the magic of a fairy tale’s happy ever after complete with golden sunsets and rosy dawns. A charming enchanted piece, sweetly played. Complimenti!

25. Cookie74 - Invention No. 4 in D minor Welcome to the recital! I loved this piece! Did you have fun playing it? It sounds like you did. You put a lot of energy into it and it thrums delightfully.

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms I am going to have to re-watch the 2010 True Grit. I like the fullness of sound you’ve created with your arrangement. You play with confidence – musically and emotionally. A rich and satisfying piece indeed.

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle) And again I am introduced to a new piece. This is an elegant piece with crisp delicacy in the treble and full rich support in the bass, which you have played fluidly and with wonderful energy. I’m extremely impressed at your skill after 8 months of playing. My hat is off to you sir! Complimenti

28. joangolfing - The Poet SpeaksCongratulations on your new grand. I bet, notwithstanding the thrill of getting a grand, it was still tough to give up your 105 year upright! What a great selection to play on the new piano. It really gives you the opportunity to make the most of the range of its power and the delicate tones too. A most enjoyable performance.

29. Mar_red - Rosemary's Baby - Lullaby I didn’t see the film, and am unfamiliar with the music, but it was captivating – you can feel a story unfolding as the music progresses. Beautiful!

30. cscl - Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1 Has your piano arrived? Are you settled in your new home? I enjoyed your performance very much. You have lovely phrasing and fluidity, this is a charming performance of a delightful piece.

31. jotur/Cathy Turner - Dill Pickle Rag Cathy, I always love your pieces – you have so much energy and enthusiasm. This is great fun, I am tapping my toes and nodding my head in time to the music. What a treat! Isn't it exciting to feel the improvement? Complimenti carissima! Brava!

[Linked Image]

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission