2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
dmd #1949003 08/25/12 02:31 PM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by dmd

Every teacher I have ever had always told me to not worry about playing it fast. Just get everything else right and with continued practice ... speed just happens.

After years of hearing it, I am finally a believer.

THAT is so true. But it is very hard to understand before you have experienced it yourself.

outo #1949005 08/25/12 02:36 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by outo
I wonder, if you really use the metronome that much, what kind of music do you play? Because the difficulties in my pieces definitely are not in keeping time, they are in phrasing, dynamics and touch...

In my case, I only use it for classical music which usually requires a steady tempo. And then, usually only for areas which I am struggling with. I will set the metronome to a speed where I am completely at ease playing that part and then slowly increase the speed while going over and over the part. My goal is to play it without hesitation. If I detect hesitation or tension, I back the speed down and play it at the slower speed a few more times and then try moving it up again.

I use it to help keep me honest about where I am with the piece I am working on. Without using a metronome I can rationalize mistakes as just a distraction or whatever. When I use the metronome it tells me the truth.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #1949016 08/25/12 02:54 PM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by dmd
I wonder, if you really use the metronome that much, what kind of music do you play? Because the difficulties in my pieces definitely are not in keeping time, they are in phrasing, dynamics and touch...

In my case, I only use it for classical music which usually requires a steady tempo. And then, usually only for areas which I am struggling with. I will set the metronome to a speed where I am completely at ease playing that part and then slowly increase the speed while going over and over the part. My goal is to play it without hesitation. If I detect hesitation or tension, I back the speed down and play it at the slower speed a few more times and then try moving it up again.

I use it to help keep me honest about where I am with the piece I am working on. Without using a metronome I can rationalize mistakes as just a distraction or whatever. When I use the metronome it tells me the truth.

I record myself practicing regularly, that is really revealing! Maybe that's why I don't feel the need for the metronome that much anymore.

I usually alternate between slow and fast practice a lot. I just don't use the metronome to gradually increase the tempo. I did that in the beginning, but I don't believe in it anymore. I do slow practice and I do in tempo regularly to check that the fingerings and movements work in tempo also. I find it more suitable method to me.

Many of the pieces I work with don't have metronome markings. They are from time before the metronome existed. Tempo markings in general are questionable, since they don't necessarily come from the composer originally, but can be edited. We discuss these issues with my teacher and sometimes she suggests a slower tempo. So speed really is not an issue. It's more about learning to execute all the things in the piece well enough to be able to maintain the tempo and vary it also (when the piece allows it).

outo #1949022 08/25/12 03:02 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I record myself practicing regularly, that is really revealing!

That is another great tool that I should make more use of. I have anxiety issues when performing and it is believed that recording yourself can help with that. Supposedly, it gets you used to playing under pressure.

I probably helps some with that. However, I think that the cure for that is also the time tested ... practice ... practice ... practice. I believe that you get nervous when you are not solid with your preparation so you are hoping things go well instead of knowing it.

Last edited by dmd; 08/25/12 03:10 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #1949024 08/25/12 03:08 PM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by dmd
I record myself practicing regularly, that is really revealing!

That is another great tool that I should make more use of. I have anxiety issues when performing and it is believed that recording yourself can help with that.

I does make me nervous. I used to play really badly when I had just turned the camera on and tried to play a piece (I use video camera because it's more handy than setting up audio equipment). So what I do now is just leave the camera on for a longer period when I practice and I can forget it (until the card fills smile

I can also record my playing on my silent piano, but the sound is really thin and unnatural so I use it rarely.

T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Toastie
I only use it to check a piece I've already been working on and am very familiar with, though I usually find I don't need it (could be because what i'm currently doing is very easy though). If i try to use it when I am just starting a new piece then it just makes me feel frustrated and I end up ignoring it, though I sometimes find it helpful if I need to stop and go over something I'm stuck on.

This is strange, but if I use it to play a whole piece I find it oddly hypnotic and I won't realise when I've finished playing as I'll be sitting there staring into space. I could sit and listen to it like that for hours. Hope that's not just me.

I want your metronome! It must have a much more pleasant sound this does mine.:)

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
It's an app on my iPad. It's very pleasant. I sometimes listen to it when I'm not actually playing the piano just because I like it. I think maybe this means I'm crazy, but I like anything with a steady rhythm including the noise of the fan heater and the vacuum cleaner. blush

Now, I too like the sound of a fan. I have to have a fan on to sleep every night. So, wonder if I could get that app. on my Mac laptop. I don't have an iPad.

Virginia

J.Wooden
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks, Richard. I shall definitely checkout that website you recommended.

Virginia

J.Wooden
outo #1949037 08/25/12 04:00 PM
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T

I only loose the pulse when I forget what I am doing (which happens all the time) and the metronome doesn't help with that it just causes more panic smile[/quote]

Actually the metronome causes me to loose my place.

Virginia

J.Wooden
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by rocket88

If swaying with the music helps you to play rhythmically and in time, and you do it naturally, you should not try to stop it.

Swaying with the beat certainly did not hurt this guy's music:

Actually, I love Ray Charles...use to listen to him frequently when I was a youth. Maybe the swaying idea is not so bad an idea, except some music doesn't really go with the swaying motion.

Virginia

J.Wooden
J
J
If I start saying DING-tock-tock-tock I think that's most definitely going to help people see I'm not crazy, yes. grin

Maybe you could then offer your services as a human metronome smile

John

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Another alternative to the metronome, not yet mentioned I think, is to play along with a professional recording of the piece. It helps with rhythm and can be used to spot errors (wrong notes) in your performance. I use the free app Anytune which is awesome by the way. It can slow down the recording as well as transpose it on the fly!

Last edited by Amaruk; 08/25/12 11:23 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
S
S
I can empathize with the OP. I started lessons again this summer after 30 years of sporadic playing on my own.

I've been very frustrated with the metronome. It was not close to the core of my concentration. I would lose track of it, then realize I was off but not know where it happened. I've been working on a Back invention. No problem using a metronome hands separate, but playing both hands with different dynamics for each hand I would lose track fairly quickly and couldn't tell if I was ahead or behind.

Slowly I've gained some ability to work with the metronome. One thing I found that helped was a metronome that stressed the beats differently (for example 1bigstress 2 3stress 4). The stressed beats let me know whether I had gotten ahead or fallen behind. Usually I had gotten ahead. Perversely I speed up when it gets more difficult, subjective time slows down. The metronome helped me determine that my hand positioning for the ends of some phrases was causing me to rush them.

Slowly I'm starting to be able to work with the metronome. One day while keeping to the metronome in one of the more complicated sections were I tend to speed up, I had the sense that the metronome was slowing down---weird eh?

I don't think I'll ever love the metronome, but I'm not as frustrated now.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Now when I think about it the most annoying thing about the metronome probably is that when I play a piece of music I hear it in my head at the same time. I try to get the sound of my playing to match this image. Imagine listening to wonderful piece of music and then this beeping sound on it???

This is not a problem when playing sales or just practicing a small difficult section in music.

I think people understand and work out music in different ways. That's why for some people the metronome is a helpful tool and for some it is not. There's little sence in telling someone to change the way they concieve things, it has been decades since it was beleived that people all learn in similar matter and those who did differently were just lazy...

Last edited by outo; 08/26/12 02:36 AM.
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I appreciate all the comments and advice from this group. I'm very new to the piano, so the word "performance" is not really part of my vocabulary yet. I'm at the very beginning stages of learning to play the piano and I'm having much difficulty with rhythm....so, sounds like from most of you that I need to just get use to it because the metronome will help with the rhythm issues eventually. Maybe I'll slow it down. I have it set on 60

Virginia

J.Wooden
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Virginia Larson
I appreciate all the comments and advice from this group. I'm very new to the piano, so the word "performance" is not really part of my vocabulary yet. I'm at the very beginning stages of learning to play the piano and I'm having much difficulty with rhythm....so, sounds like from most of you that I need to just get use to it because the metronome will help with the rhythm issues eventually. Maybe I'll slow it down. I have it set on 60

I just have to politely disagree with what some here have written. I still think the metronome is a tool for an advanced musician rather than something a beginner should use.

Piano teaching has evolved. I haven't had many teachers but I have friends who also study piano. We all have teachers who have degrees in teaching. NONE of them tell a beginner to use metronome for practice. You learn rhythm and inner pulse by counting and clapping exercises and when you play the piano you concentrate on correct movements, dynamics and touch.

Sure, it looks much more cool for an adult to play with the metronome than to do clapping exercises smile But if one wants to really learn this thing, one has to forget about looking cool for a while. That will come back later.

What I am writing next applies to classical music, so you can ignore it if you play something else...

The piano is a curious instument. It is a percussion instrument by mechanics, yet we all strive to make it "sing". To make the piano sing you try to lose the percussive nature on the piano. This does not mean that you can lose the beat. That must come naturally without effort for you to be able to do all the other things. I do not believe the metronome is the answer to get there.

EDIT:
Virginia, do you have a teacher? If so, you should listen to him. If he tells you to use the metronome, then you do. The problem with internet is that it is full of people who know what's best for you on the basis of their OWN experiences. They have never seen you play or seen how you behave in a learning situation, yet they are fast to dismiss your teacher's ideas and promote their own. Of course not all teachers are perfect, but the one you have chosen should be the one who you listen to. I used to question (mostly silently) the things my teacher told me to do quite a lot in the beginning because of what I had read in the net. It confused me and slowed my progress. I now see (after a year) that my teacher knows what she is doing because I am finally seeing the improvements in my playing. You just don't get there overnight.

If you make no progress after a longer period and the teachings of your teacher still make no sense, it's best to chance teacher instead of paying him while actually teaching yourself over the internet (possibly wrong).

Last edited by outo; 08/26/12 05:56 AM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Virginia Larson

This is a great place for different ideas and perspectives. It's nice to have these discussions and see what does and doesn't work for others, and different approaches to solving problems.

I'd guess that currently you're playing a quarter note on the beat with the metronome on 6o? So, yes, slowing the metronome down is one idea. You could also play a half note on the beat with the metronome at 60, which would make the music twice as slow!

If you slow it down you might also try playing just one measure at a time - it's much less stressful to play a very short part to the metronome until you get used to it.

outo's suggestion of clapping exercises is one I hear often, too. And several other of the ideas above people have shared - playing the same pitch - just a single note over and over, for example - to get used to the metronome.

Part of the fun of playing the piano, for me, is the challenge, and figuring out ways to meet it! Sounds like you're on you're way - and you'll get it done, too.

Welcome to the ABF.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Virginia, what piece of music are you using the metronome with?

Usually, people who have trouble with the metronome are trying to do it with a more complex piece of music.

They typically benefit by using it on a very easy piece, much much easier than what they can play w/o the metronome. Something like Mary had a little lamb is great.

Think of it like juggling...if you can play a piece without the metronome, and then you try to add it, or counting, that is like juggling with three balls and then adding another ball.

The brain just can't keep up, so the solution is to either slow everything down, as Cathy suggested, or to play a piece that is very very simple, which is also slowing down, in this case slowing the mental processing. I suggest you do both.

Go as simple, and as slow, as necessary to integrate the click.

I have helped dozens of students with this, and slow / simple is always what has worked.

Sometimes "simple and slow" is just playing one note over and over with the metronome.

What that does is create a new pathway in the brain. Once that is established, more complex application becomes possible.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Virginia, what piece of music are you using the metronome with?

Usually, people who have trouble with the metronome are trying to do it with a more complex piece of music.

They typically benefit by using it on a very easy piece, much much easier than what they can play w/o the metronome. Something like Mary had a little lamb is great.

Think of it like juggling...if you can play a piece without the metronome, and then you try to add it, or counting, that is like juggling with three balls and then adding another ball.

The brain just can't keep up, so the solution is to either slow everything down, as Cathy suggested, or to play a piece that is very very simple, which is also slowing down, in this case slowing the mental processing. I suggest you do both.

I have helped dozens of students with this, and slow / simple is always what has worked.

Sometimes "simple and slow" is just playing one note over and over with the metronome.

What that does is create a new pathway in the brain. Once that is established, more complex application becomes possible.

Thanks, Rocket....I will try to slow it down and convince myself that I will someday love the metronome. After all, I learned to love the Mac after being a PC person since the computer was invented, so, there's hope for the metronome. I know I need some help with rhythm...that's for sure, and if its the metronome that can help with that then so be it.

Virginia

J.Wooden
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Virginia: As you may have surmised, SLOWLY is the answer. This is something I heard over and over for years. I never quite got it but I do now. The sooner you grasp that concept the sooner you will begin to make real progress.

When you make mistakes, those mistakes become lodged in your brain and your brain thinks you intended to play that wrong note. So, the next time you play the piece ... when you come to that note, your brain will try to automatically play that WRONG note. Now, you have make a special effort to play the right note. So, the fewer mistakes you make the more your brain is able to predict what the correct notes are and it goes almost on automatic pilot. That is what you are trying to accomplish. Get that brain doing things without so much thinking on your part.

Don

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission