2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1948799 08/25/12 03:25 AM
T
Tech 5 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Please advise on the metronome usage. I hate the thing! With the first sound of it I can feel my back and neck muscles tense up. How is one able to listen for the beat, concentrate on the notes, and technique for playing them, all at the same time. Although I am able to tap the piano with a pencil at the sound of the metronome, I can't seem to hit the piano keys at the same time as the metronome sounds.

Thanks in advance.....I love this forum!

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Just don't use it! I never do except to check the tempo of the piece/measure. And sometimes to force myself to play slowly when practicing scales. It is normal to be distacted by it, although some people actually seem to be able to play with it.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm sure if you have a laptop or a smart phone, you could just get a virtual drummer to play next to you instead if you hate it that much.

While important, you really shouldn't be using it often enough that it's that much of a bother!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Eventually you do get used to it. I used to hate it too. Now I often use the metronome to check that my rhythm is staying steady in tricky parts, to be sure scales are regular, to enforce slow tempo practicing a piece. etc. If you are feeling tense with it, perhaps it is set too fast. For me, it is a valuable tool that can help develop a sense of rhythm. It just takes time to adjust to it and then it can be your friend and helper.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Now I often use the metronome to check that my rhythm is staying steady in tricky parts, to be sure scales are regular, to enforce slow tempo practicing a piece. etc.

These are the things it is good for, but trying to actually play your pieces with it is waste of time IMO. Beginners somethimes think that one should...

outo #1948841 08/25/12 06:17 AM
T
T
I only use it to check a piece I've already been working on and am very familiar with, though I usually find I don't need it (could be because what i'm currently doing is very easy though). If i try to use it when I am just starting a new piece then it just makes me feel frustrated and I end up ignoring it, though I sometimes find it helpful if I need to stop and go over something I'm stuck on.

This is strange, but if I use it to play a whole piece I find it oddly hypnotic and I won't realise when I've finished playing as I'll be sitting there staring into space. I could sit and listen to it like that for hours. Hope that's not just me.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Toastie

This is strange, but if I use it to play a whole piece I find it oddly hypnotic and I won't realise when I've finished playing as I'll be sitting there staring into space. I could sit and listen to it like that for hours. Hope that's not just me.

That is funny smile
Mine doesn't have a very pleasant tone...

outo #1948845 08/25/12 06:40 AM
T
T
It's an app on my iPad. It's very pleasant. I sometimes listen to it when I'm not actually playing the piano just because I like it. I think maybe this means I'm crazy, but I like anything with a steady rhythm including the noise of the fan heater and the vacuum cleaner. blush

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
It's an app on my iPad. It's very pleasant. I sometimes listen to it when I'm not actually playing the piano just because I like it. I think maybe this means I'm crazy, but I like anything with a steady rhythm including the noise of the fan heater and the vacuum cleaner. blush

Well, I could stare at the old Windows screen saver for ages at some point (the one with white "stars" disappearing into space, if you are old enough to remember)... so we all have our quirks smile

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Of all the elements of music, Virginia, time is the most important.

Learning to keep time is the most important fundamental skill. We should begin by counting aloud to what we play, we then progress to tapping the feet, which keeps a physical, muscular action going and reducing the brains probability of mentally speeding up in the easy sections and slowing down in the difficult sections.

Eventually we get to a point where the muscular involvement is unnoticeable, tapping the tongue or flexing a muscle.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of playing an instrument is playing with others. Without the ability of keeping time with something external, ensemble playing cannot work.

Most people take a little while to get used to hearing and then listening to the metronome and keeping the beat with it. It then becomes a very useful tool.

I use a drum machine rather than a metronome, which is even more versatile.

Check this out. Troy Stetina is addressing guitarists but it works exactly the same on the piano.

http://www.stetina.com/lessons/metronome.htm

PS Are you using a mechanical metronome based on the original Maelzel pyramid or an electronic one? I had a Wittner mechanical metronome and I used to use it for a few clicks to check the tempo then put it away. In a mechanical metronome there is always a slight difference between the forward swing and the backward swing and the rhythm is a slight dotted eighth/sixteenth rhythm than true quavers. Electronic metronomes like the Korg MA-30 are cheap, more versatile and much more accurate.

PPS (Is there any way of shutting me up?) I'm a recent convert to mobile phones (I though the Tardis was a mobile phone) and mine can only do calls, texts and alarm clock but a phone app sounds like a good idea if you're already into that kind of device.

Richard
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
This is very individual, for some it's easy to keep the pulse steady without any clapping or other help and for others it takes a bit more work. Just like any aspect of playing. I first was sligthly worried about the steadiness of my playing because I had not used the metronome and I know that you don't necessarily hear it yourself if you are off. But my teacher assured me it was fine. I think being into music all my life (just not the piano) makes it natural for me.

Recording yourself is also very revealing.

I only loose the pulse when I forget what I am doing (which happens all the time) and the metronome doesn't help with that it just causes more panic smile

outo #1948867 08/25/12 08:45 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by outo
This is very individual, for some it's easy to keep the pulse steady without any clapping or other help and for others it takes a bit more work. Just like any aspect of playing. I first was sligthly worried about the steadiness of my playing because I had not used the metronome and I know that you don't necessarily hear it yourself if you are off. But my teacher assured me it was fine. I think being into music all my life (just not the piano) makes it natural for me.

Recording yourself is also very revealing.

I only loose the pulse when I forget what I am doing (which happens all the time) and the metronome doesn't help with that it just causes more panic smile

Yes it's the same for me, it comes naturally most of the time. I think I have an inbuilt metronome, as I seem to naturally want to rock back and forth like a metronome to any music I hear (including when I play, though thankfully I have managed to avoid doing so during my lessons, although I catch myself doing it a home a lot). I do this when singing too and have done all my life.

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The metronome is just another tool to help you become a better pianist. It should only be used for what it was designed for ... to tell you if you are playing with a steady tempo where you think you are playing with a steady tempo. You need not use it while you are in the early stages of learning a piece of music. Perhaps, you should wait until you can play the piece reasonably well and you just want to be sure you are playing it on time.

I use it now and then when I am having difficulty with a particular place in the piece where I find myself hesitating. I will then put the metronome on a a very slow speed and play through that part. If successful, I will increase the speed slightly and play it again. If I hesitate, I will drop the speed down slightly and play it at that speed a few times until I am very solid with it. Then increase the speed of the metronome sligtly and play it again. I will keep doing this until I get my playing up to the speed I am aiming for. It can be tedius, but it works for me.

Now, we can come up with all sorts of reasons not to use a metronome but the main reason we do not like it is because it tells you the truth about your playing. If you ask a friend or a family member about your playing, they will invariably say ..."It sounds good". Which means nothing because they are usually going to tell you what you want to hear. The metronome does not do that. It tells you the absolute truth. If you do not hit that note on time, you will know it.

So, if you want the truth ... turn on the metronome.

Last edited by dmd; 08/25/12 08:53 AM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

as I seem to naturally want to rock back and forth like a metronome to any music I hear (including when I play, though thankfully I have managed to avoid doing so during my lessons, although I catch myself doing it a home a lot). I do this when singing too and have done all my life.

Does your teacher spank you when you do? smile

I have had this problem always, I just can't sit still. My teacher ALWAYS has to remind me. And I'm glad because I know it looks really stupid, it just feels so natural and to be honest my mind works better when I don't try to sit still...

dmd #1948881 08/25/12 09:52 AM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by dmd

Now, we can come up with all sorts of reasons not to use a metronome but the main reason we do not like it is because it tells you the truth about your playing.

I'm sorry but that is not the case for everyone. I use it every now and then, but I just cannot stand the sound of it. And I do not think that it is as useful as many seem to think. Some people need it more, some don't.

I wonder how the baroque and 18th century virtuosos ever learned to play because metronomes did not exist?

outo #1948886 08/25/12 09:58 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

If swaying with the music helps you to play rhythmically and in time, and you do it naturally, you should not try to stop it.

Swaying with the beat certainly did not hurt this guy's music:

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
outo #1948888 08/25/12 10:02 AM
T
T
Outo, Well thankfully she's lovely and I think she would probably not say anything, but I don't particularly want to look strange so I try not to do it except on my own. It's possible I have been doing it unaware though, what a horrible thought. If I started doing it during a lesson I think I would feel embarrassed.

My boyfriend finds it really hard to understand as it makes me look kind of crazy, so I stopped doing it for a long time (I stopped listening to music so much since we got a house together, as I find it so hard to sit still). But since I started piano it makes me want to listen to music, practice on my keyboard or sing all the time, so now I do lots of rocking like a metronome and he really does not like it. I can happily sit for hours listening, singing or playing and rocking back and forth.

*going away to hide now as I am not sure this is entirely normal*

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Well... when playing strictly in the classical manner you are supposed to sit up still and not do anything that is not needed to produce better sound. Unless you are famous, then you can sit as you wish, hunch and do whatever you like. Sigh...

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Outo, Well thankfully she's lovely and I think she would probably not say anything,

My teacher is a nice person, but REALLY demanding when it comes to these things. And she won't hesitate to tell me when I do something funny/stupid/wrong smile

I'm sure we are completely normal! The others may not be smile

outo #1948893 08/25/12 10:12 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by outo
Outo, Well thankfully she's lovely and I think she would probably not say anything,

My teacher is a nice person, but REALLY demanding when it comes to these things. And she won't hesitate to tell me when I do something funny/stupid/wrong smile

I'm sure we are completely normal! The others may not be smile

Well yes exactly, it's everyone else who does not do this who is wrong! grin

If I ever start to rock in a lesson I will confess to my craziness, but until then I won't say anything. I think my timing is quite good anyway, as I can feel it even when I'm sitting still. I used to get into trouble for doing it at school.

Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission