2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
piano75 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am looking to buy a piano and have some options:
1. New Yamaha P22 for little less than 5000 dollars
2. Used Steinway 1098 - 4200 (1979 model)
3. New U1 for 6700 dollars

I know these are different pianos but wanted to get an idea about what people think about these three piano and the prices.

Thank you.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
A new U1 for 6700 is a good price. Are you limited to just these three choices?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
P
piano75 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am not limited to these choices but after looking at several pianos (new and used), I did like these three pianos. I am a intermediate player and don't want to spend 25k for a new steinway upright.

After reading reviews, it is hard to decide in the long term which piano is right. I have read the U1 is too bright or tinny especially on hard wood floors. Also read P22 might not be a piano for advanced players or if you want to advance.

The 6700 for the U1 is for a ebony gloss finish. I want a satin finish and found out that the price goes up to 7700. Is the satin finish that much more expensive? Is the Steinway 1098 worth the money?

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Most pianos sound loud, bright, and "live" on hard surfaces. You might need to treat the room.

There are lots of pro's here who mentioned that they started out with consoles and pianos lesser than new P22s until they made it into music school (where they might use P22s in practice rooms, heh) or got jobs. So if you are really that good, a P22 might not sound great but shouldn't prevent you from playing great. Why, in a nearby post, someone said that they recently got to grade 8 with a digital piano!

In general, the U1 is made to a higher price point and incorporates better design, materials, QC, and craftsmanship.

The Steinway's price isn't bad but condition is everything. If the hammers are worm and the strings are rusty, it wouldn't be much better than used pianos with a different brand name.

Last edited by gnuboi; 08/20/12 01:56 PM.
B
B
I say go for the Steinway--I just bought a 1956 and I am loving it.

As I posted elsewhere, for me it was partly a psychological thing. Always wanted a Steinway. Also, with the money saved vs. the U1 you can get the S&S regulated and voiced to your liking (assuming it is in good shape)

Plus, the S&S will likely not depreciate in price any further going forward, vs. a newer piano.

IMHO

P
piano75 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
How much did you pay for a 1956 Steinway? Did you get a independent tuner to look over the piano?

I saw another Steinway 2005 for 15k. What is the fair value for a used 1098 Steinway that is in good shape.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Steinway 1098 upright studio pianos do not have a stellar reputation. I wish I knew that back in the l980's when I bought one, (which I no longer have).

They are IMHO an average piano, with a elevated price because of the S&S name, and piano tuners usually do not like them.

ps...I sold mine for 5K, after trying for several years to find anyone who would buy it.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
15K will get you a nice grand. Why bother with an upright?

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
T
T
I have to agree with Bokeh. If the Steinway is in decent shape, it shouldn't depreciate much in the future. Like it or not, the Steinway name has magic powers when selling. I'm sure the Yamaha is superb, however, Steinway?....You know!

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
P
piano75 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Currently 15k is out of my price range to buy a upright. The one Steinway I saw was not in good shape. What about buying a new Yamaha P22 - I was told by different sellers that they liked this piano over the T118 or even the U1. It sounded nice but since this is my first purchase of a piano, wanted to get opinions on a this piano that is under 5000 dollars. Thanks.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Piano75,

Everyone, always prefers something, over everything. It's the nature of asking for advice.

That's a very good price on a new U1. Only you can decided if it the right piano for you.

(Is there a Yamaha factory sale in progress on U1's? Good prices are popping up all over.)

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
P
piano75 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
That is a group price on a U1. He said he can just add me to the group. Also one dealer said that in the last few years they have not sold as many pianos as they used to.

Also the price is for a ebony gloss finish. I said I wanted the satin finish and he said it would be 1000 dollars more! I can't believe it is that much more for a satin finish.

B
B
Originally Posted by rocket88

They are IMHO an average piano, with a elevated price because of the S&S name, and piano tuners usually do not like them.

ps...I sold mine for 5K, after trying for several years to find anyone who would buy it.

5-6 K for a good specimen seems to be a good average price for the 1098's. I have seen a lot of these. It depends on the market, of course. Atlanta seems to have a lot of them right now.
I agree they are overpriced new, and even 15k is too much. But for under 5 k I think there is a valid argument that you can't loose money on the resale.
I got mine for 2,300, in top shape. But that was below market.

P
piano75 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
A couple of general questions:

is the satin finish 1000 dollars more expensive than the gloss finish. That is what one dealer told me about the price of the U1.

has anyone bought the P22 or U1 through the Costco roadshow lately and what are their prices? I have heard good things about this roadshow.

the P22 is now made in China however I have heard that the new U1 string action is not made in Japan either (assembled in Japan). Is the P22 made in China a really big concern or not?

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano75
Is the satin finish 1000 dollars more expensive than the gloss finish. That is what one dealer told me about the price of the U1.

The "Piano Buyer" lists the same price for both. Could it be that with the "group price" all of the pianos need to match? It might be that the different finish pulls you out of the group.

Just speculation, of course.

Marty in Minnesota

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I've been on this board since 2006..and have yet to hear anyone get excited over a
Steinway upright..this tells me its just another "upright" like any other piano
you'd be better off with the U1..that's a popular model among uprights..
just my 2 cents.. smile

Last edited by Bob Newbie; 08/23/12 10:47 AM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
I've been on this board since 2006..and have yet to hear anyone get excited over a
just my 2 cents.. smile

The Steinway uprights are fine pianos and are compared to a different level of pianos. Often the comparison here is a used S&S to a new Yamaha or Kawai and that is most usually a purchase cost comparison. For the most part, there has not been much discussion of the upper level verticals of any make. The attitude seems to be, "If you can afford that much, buy a grand."

Marty in Minnesota

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
On the subject of Steinway uprights in general and the model 1098 in particular, it strikes me as rather like Stanwood actions. One either adores them or one has absolutely NO use for them. In the matter of Stanwood, I have the full treatment and can't imagine myself w/o it.

In the matter of the 1098, one of the finest piano men in our country and a frequent contributor to this forum has high regard for them, no doubt as he has developed a technical approach/solution to their commonly-known ills. On the other hand, mention of them to many techs, both high and low, is tantamount to reading the Riot Act.

Even the Model K is not free from its detractors. Last month, when speaking to one of Chicago's respected retailers, he mentioned to me that he'd taken in a newish K on trade and, upon delivery, found the fit and finish shockingly poor.

B
B
Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
just my 2 cents.. smile

Well you can count me as anecdotal evidence of at least one person excited by the 1098. Am I going to grow old and die with it? no...and when I trade up, I will get my money back, vs. 50 cents on the dollar that I would have gotten out of trading in a U1.

Last edited by Bokeh; 08/23/12 11:58 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

This forum is fairly anti-steinway to begin with, probably due to the over abundance of Stein-was dealers, so, I wouldn't use anything said here to form a consensus. I've owned two of the 1098's and liked them both. As with all used pianos, at least for me, play them and if they grab you they grab you. Resale or marquee value or any sort of dream fulfillment should be secondary considerations at best.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission