2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Originally Posted by CMohr

KenJazz, Your comments on my tune lifted my spirits. I'd love to hear the Hamburg Bar background. smile.

You can download it from my box account, but it is an M4A file, so box can't preview it yet. You don't say what you use for mixing, but if it is something like Audacity, you can just import this as a new track and copy and paste the snippet to extend the length of your new track as many times as you need to cover the length of your song. Then put the track volume very low and voila you are playing in front of a bar crowd in Hamburg! I would love to hear a re-post of how cool this sounds!

https://www.box.com/s/5bee7a868dd3da25d65e

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
Originally Posted by Cookie74
51. Clemente—I love the Andalucia Suite. I played Malaguena (poorly) a while ago. This one has some seriously difficult rhythms, but you tackled them all very well. Way to go. Hats off to you.

Thank you so much Cookie74!! Wow! You played Malagueña! Then you can play this one with your eyes closed. I am two pieces away from Malagueña. eek

Originally Posted by AndyMc
#51 Clemente: You bring out the full flavor the piece

Andy, thank you very much.

Originally Posted by Inlanding
51. Clemente - Andalucia Lecouna wrote some wonderful pieces and you chose one. This was so very enjoyable - incredible energy your bring to it. What a fine bit of playing, Clemente. There are little technical improvements to be made, especially with the octaves, and you will get them over time. It takes time and consistency to mature a piece like this, especially. You were connecting with the music and expressing it, that's what matters most to me, especially for this e-cital.

Inlanding, first, thank you for your kind words. Since the recital, I have been practicing and taking under consideration everything that has been said. I have been working on those improvements. Those octaves are mean! laugh

Originally Posted by Jake S
51. Clemente - Andalucia
I really liked that you had some fun with this piece. The fast bass notes almost sound like they are cheekily tipping their hat whilst the melody soars over the top. I hope the new teacher is working out well.

Thank you Jake! I am having lots of fun tackling this piece, and I am looking forward to the ones that are coming down the pike. smile Yes, thank you, the teacher is perfect for me. I cannot wait until September for the piano lessons to start up again.

Originally Posted by BillM
51. Clemente - Andalucia
You have some fast fingers. This is going to be quite a show piece with a little more tender loving care – you are almost there.

BillM, thank you! You are right, this is going to be one of my "have it at my fingertips" pieces. It will be some time before I totally own it, though. I will happen one day. smile

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
51 Clemente - Andalucia, Ernesto Lecuona
Wow, what an impressive piece, Clemente. Once you work on bringing out the melody by quieting those left hand arpeggios a bit this will be even more gorgeous.

Thank you Dennis, and thank you for the advise! I tell you, I have been paying attention to all the comments. It is truly very helpful to know what the "audience" is actually hearing. blush

Originally Posted by Recaredo
51. Clemente - Andalucía
This piece requires a huge technique, but your interpretation really catches the Andalusian soul of this dance. Great job Clemente, you are really good at playing this music! I’m sure you’d play excellent renditions on the rest of the pieces from this suite.

Thank you so very much Recaredo. Coming from someone from southern Spain, your comment means a great deal. I love Spain's music, all types. When I lived in Madrid, there was a mesón right around the corner of our pensión. I used to go to sleep every night listening to these rhythms. I was 14 years old then, and I lived there for only one year...many, many moons ago, but it stuck. I do not play the other selections from the suite yet. There is another Lecuona piece that I am learning at the moment, then there is another one. After that one is finished, then I will tackle Gitanerías, Malagueña and Córdoba...in that order. Again, thank you!

Clemente

Be careful about wanting to reach the top because once you are at the top, the only place left to go is down.

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kenjazz
Originally Posted by CMohr

KenJazz, Your comments on my tune lifted my spirits. I'd love to hear the Hamburg Bar background. smile.

You can download it from my box account, but it is an M4A file, so box can't preview it yet.... put the track volume very low and voila you are playing in front of a bar crowd in Hamburg! I would love to hear a re-post of how cool this sounds!

https://www.box.com/s/5bee7a868dd3da25d65e

Wow, thanks Ken! I'll play around with this today and post it somewhere...

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
A few more comments.

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List
Beautiful, Dave. I've never seen the movie, but I did go to an Itzhak Perlman concert where he played it very movingly. Good work!

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
This is a more elaborate piano arrangement than I've heard before, very nice. Well done.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
Loved it, beautiful. This is one of my favs, and you played it so well! Nice work.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness
Excellent singing and playing too, very laid back and mellow. Great work on this as always.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments on my rendition of Schindler's list. No specifics here, but everyone has been very very kind.

Sorry to have not been so active on this thread in the last week or so. I became involved in the Moonlight Sonata Study group (now Bach Prelude No 2 in C-major) just around the time the recital was opening. It has been all consuming. For anyone wanting a new perspective on chord formations/structures/notation, I strongly recommend these study groups. They are really very good.

OK, I have a lot of catching up to do and still looking forward to hearing a lot more performances. Everything I have taken a listen to, to date has been very inspiring. This is really a terrific venue for bringing out the best performances in everyone. I know some times the recording doesn't pick it up, just the way we might like smile. It is so cool though, that there is no intimidation here and everyone -- 6 months in to 30 years -- is taking the stage.

For me, it is a great feeling to actually have an audience now, of real people, instead of 4 walls. This has been my first recital, but looking forward to many more now.

Last edited by Greener; 08/20/12 08:46 PM.
Awesome recital everyone! I'm so glad we have this every few months. Thanks to everyone that submitted, listened, commented, and all those magicians behind the scenes. One of these years I'm going to go back and listen to all the recitals from yesteryear. I'm going to put some of these on my Android to enjoy in the future. Here are my comments...

06. Mr Super Hunky -There is love (The wedding song)
Very nice! Extraordinary noodling smile

07. SwissMS -Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
Great job!

08. CarlosCC -Ambers
Love it, thanks. I like the bass response on this. Perhaps this winter while the snow is falling I'll find a wood burning fireplace and enjoy this tune.

11. Jazztpt -Lament
Nice, I could certainly feel the emotion in this piece.

14. Amaruk -Sur le fil
I enjoyed this piece, good quality sound.

16. Peyton -Mazurka #4 in A Minor
I hope one day to play Chopin this good.

17. ladypayne -A New Change
Wow what an adventure! I enjoyed the video as well.

22. Lady Chen -Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
Wonderful!

24. Monica K. -Fairy Tale
One of my favorites of this recital. Very intimately played.

33. knotty -Petite Fleur
Wow that's some mighty chill piano groove you got there! Love the whole live acoustic band.

45. daveindenton -Theme from Schindler's List
You did this piece great justice. Very nice.

47. DadAgains_Daughter -Invention in F Major
Ooh I like this. Great job. I might add this to my wearily long list of pieces to learn.

50. Falmc -Sweet Sereny
Lovely! Piano part sounds particularly good. I wish I had a girlgriend that liked piano and that I could write music for smile

54. lyricmudra -Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata)
Lovely, I particularly like how this piece changes to minor and then includes nice variations on the main theme. Ahh, good ole Bach. I bet this piece is fun to play. I can certainly picture sheep safely grazing. I might use this for bedtime music, thanks for playing this for us.

55. RedKat -Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2
Wow, very well played! Nice sounding piano too. One of these days I've got to learn a Chopin piece.

57. Tiago84 -Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
Very nice and delicately played. I love the ending of this piece.

60. BillM -Try A Little Tenderness
I like the piano track, and great sounding Roland you got there.

Cheers everyone,
Steve

Previously known as NorwegianForest a long long time ago right here in this very forum.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
51. Clemente - Andalucia - Lecuona is new for me but I know he was a Cuban composer. This piece seems hard but you did a great job. Good rhythm. Congratulations.

52. Norrec (Tim) - Beaming Sunlight - Tim, congratulations on your first non-Alfred piece. I wonder if you could use more pedal on this nice piece. Apart of that, I enjoy it. Nice work!

53. notbach - To a Wild Rose (Op.51 No. 1) - This is really nice. Glad to know that you are dealing with errors, which is a difficult, but a good approach. Congratulations.

54. lyricmudra - Sheep May Safely Graze (from J.S. Bach's Birthday Cantata) - Very nice and it not sound easy for me... Let me say that every Bach's piece seems difficult to me, even with different arrangements. You did a great job, I think this a very good rendition.

55. RedKat - Waltz, B minor, Op. 69 n. 2 - Chopin is great! I love it. And you did a huge performance on this. Congratulations.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My last batch!
Congratulations for all the participants of this recital. There is no other place in the world, where we can listen more than 2 hours of great music played by friends.
A special thanks for those who work every 3 months for this moment.

56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska) - I like Liszt, and I wonder when/why that "old" video was recorded, because this is a great interpretation. Congratulations.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4) - Tiago, thanks for doing this recital. As I told you personally, I think your piece is great and you played it with sentiment (you're not a robot smile ) Congratulations for your 1st participation.

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1 - AndyMc, I hope you can participate in more and more recitals. Your rendition is great and I always love to hear original compositions. This one is fantastic!

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano - Larry, what a nice composition. You play it with a constant flow and harmony. I like it very much. Congratulations.

60. BillM - Try A Little Tenderness - Very good, Bill. I'm always waiting for your participation, because you give a professional touch to this recital. I think this is the best of your rich collection of interpretations. Great sound, great voice, great playing. Thank you!

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings - This piece is new for me and it's really introspective... you did a great job and now I'm waitting for the other seven pieces smile Congratulations.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
51. Clemente- what an interesting piece. It almost sounds like it could be in a musical with lyrics. The score must be scary to look at... smile Great playing.

36. Copper- I've never heard this one. Very pretty. I love how the left hand comes in. Very sweet playing.

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
1. wouter79

Did you say 2.5 years experience? Amazing, I would have guessed 10.

I am not well versed in classical material at this level to provide perhaps the feedback you are looking for. An observation though is perhaps to do with finger dexterity. Some of the more complex areas get a little muddy. Sure this is something you are already aware of and is just a matter of a little more rehearsal. But hey, if you have come this far already, should only be another week or so. Tremendous performance

2. dannylux / Mel

This is a very pretty piece. Lovely chord progression and open chord sound. I really like this. I was not familiar with this, but it is on my list now. The trouble is, I have so many on my list now (and still growing.) So, no shortage of new material, thanks to Piano World. Well done, Danny.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A few more random comments:

07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2 I am envious of how you can get those trills and ornamentations to fall so delicately and smoothly off your fingers. A pleasure to listen to.

11. Jazztpt - Lament I don’t think I could pick out a flugelhorn to save my life, but I like this piece as a piano solo. Such bittersweet jazz piano, perfect for somber reflection while nursing a Sam Adams or two.

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil I’ve always loved this Tiersen piece, but it’s such a challenge (can you say “crossing hands over”??, not to mention the super busy part starting around 2:25). You tackled those challenges well.

20. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Rigaudon & Entree This sounds so calm and happy, nothing at all like I would sound if I were limiting myself to only two takes! laugh

33. knotty - Petite Fleur This sounded so polished and smooth! You’re ready for a wedding gig. smile

34. Andy Platt - Prelude in E Minor (Opus 28, No 4) After hearing you and Tiago84 play this piece, I may be tempted away from new age. You capture the sadness of this nocturne well.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Some more thank yous:
Cookie74, Starrkeys,Riddler,Jake5,LadyChen,Monica K,Mile hi Steve.
Thank you for taking the time to listen and to comment.

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell
Thinking of music from the American civil war this is what I would imagine, very evocative. I had problems with the red dot, my advise would be to keep recording and posting as much as possible and one day it will be gone.

40. Serge88 - What'd I say
Excellent feel and time, bang on, well done.

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes
Wonderful rendition of what sounds like a very difficult song to sing let alone accompany yourself to. The performance sounds completely natural as if its the first time you have sung it and to me that overrides any small technical imperfections, that is what music is about IMO, expressing emotion. Add to that the perfect video montage and you have a wonderful package which was a delight and a pleasure to watch.

42. CMohr - Imagination
Don't know this tune though the title sounds familiar, didn't really notice any great hesitations just the lovely harmonies and sensitive playing, what a great present.

43. ClavBoy - Prelude No. 1 C Major BWV 846
I am not qulified to comment on the interpretation but it sounds very assured, well done.

44. Ken. - Light Blue
Extreemly challenging music to play, Monk was definitley a one off in his piano style. Take 2 sounds the better one to me, well done.

45. daveindenton - Theme from Schindler's List
Yes you did a very good job, one of my favourites.

46. MaryBee - Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.1
I though this was delightful,congratulations.

Monica K - You may have seen a Flugelhorn before , here's probably the greatest Flugel player of all time Clark Terry - Stardust smile

Last edited by jazztpt; 08/21/12 03:14 PM.

Jazztpt

Lady Chen, Riddler, Starr Keys, Cookie74, Sam S - Thank you so much for the kind and helpful comments.

Here is my next batch...

44. Ken. - Light Blue First I must say that “easy Monk” must be an oxymoron. I haven’t seen any easy one, or an arrangement that could be justified as simplified enough to be easy. So kudos to you right off the bat. I can see from this and your previous recital choices that you are drawn to the dissonant side of Monk. Have you tried exploring the lyrical side of Monk with a ballad like Ruby, My Dear or even Round Midnight? It would be interesting to hear your approach to the other side of your favorite composer. I really enjoyed hearing your rendition of Light Blue, which I never heard before.

41. Starr Keys - It Goes Like It Goes Beautiful job Starr keys! You could feel the authentic emotion come through in your playing and singing. This is what music is all about, particularly for those of us looking to leave a piece of our inner nature to our loved ones. You’ve set a great example.

03. BenPiano - Prelude Op. 17 No 6 Very Nice! I see what you mean about the key not being relevant. You seemed to have thrown down the challenge to figure it out, but I gave up trying. 

08. CarlosCC - Ambers You captured the essence of the New Age piano vibe just right. I didn’t miss the additional instrumentation that you were worried about at all. It sounded good to me!

14. Amaruk - Sur le fil Nice performance and recording quality! I was watching the hand-over-hand action and expecting at least one flub as they descended, but you nailed them all. Lots of practice, I’m sure. Nicely done.

17. ladypayne - A New Change What an adventure – and set to an original score to boot! That was really inspiring on several levels. I hope your fingers don’t freeze and you’ll be able to keep producing this kind of material . I thought the composition matched the theme nicely, good job.

27. Bobpickle - June (Barcarolle) Something smells fishy. Could anyone be this accomplished after 8 months of playing? The only thing that makes sense if you preceded your 8 months with 10 years of deep listening so that you intuitively know how everything is supposed to sound. At any rate, anyone can tell that this was a tremendous performance, Bob!

51. Clemente - Andalucia I really like the Spanish flavor of this piece. It is quite dramatic and sounds very difficult to play. I’ve always associated Spanish music with acoustic nylon guitar, but you could make me a convert!

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1 This is a beautiful piece Andy. I’m struck by how many people were able to do remarkable originals for the recital. How long did it take you to compose and refine, it seems rather intricate?

39. Sand Tiger - Ashokan Farewell You picked a great piece to spend most of your first five months on. You can tell it has been time well spent. It sounded really good. Keep up the great work.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
56. Grouchomarx - Hungarian Rhapsody 2 Lassan (no Friska)
You have accomplished quite a bit in 3-4 year. Very impressive.

57. Tiago84 - Prelude in E minor (Op28 No4)
You have a nice light touch and do a good job of restraining the left hand. Overall, a very nice job.

58. AndyMc - Riverlights #1
A lovely, introspective tune suitably named. I like the tone of your piano.

59. yohyrral (= Larry Hoy) - Three Themes for Piano
I am impressed by the quality of the original compositions in this recital. This is a fine piece of work – you are a very talented composer. What a cool sounding piano.

61. PianoStudent88 - Ivan Sings
An interesting piece nicely played.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
07. SwissMS - Nocturne in Eb Op. 9 Nr. 2
What a lovely performance! I grew up with this piece as my mum, a Chopin addict…., used to play this and other pieces all the time. I never dared yet to take on Chopin's music as I know how hard his music can be. Well done and keep up the great work now that you are back at it!!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
08 CarlossCC - Ambers-Long, Helen Jane
I know how it feels to need a break from a composer... Einaudi is tempting and I might try his music one day too. I never heard Ambers before but it sounded great and I like how light it sounds. Your fingers seem to have a great control of the dynamics of your P85. Great work and thanks for sharing. Will it be Einaudi next time??

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
11 Jazztpt Lament - Original
Oh, I am very sad to hear about your loss…. I think you captured your mode at the time very well in this piece. Great performance and I admire you and all others here that submit original pieces!! If you ever record it with your flugelhorn, please post it here too as I am sure we all want to listen to that too. Thanks for sharing!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
13 Kenjazz A House is Not a Home - Bacharach
Oh, yeah. Jazz time!! Another great performance. I loved it!! Great work on the arrangement as it sounds really great!! Your mix of an AP recording and Band in a Box is simply brilliant. It sounds like you had your buddies over for a jam session in your living room!! Thanks for sharing!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
15 Sam S Prelude and Fugue X WTC1 - Bach

First off Sam, thanks again for your efforts of creating and maintaining the index. It is such a great resource for us all!!

This piece is a work in progress???? The only thing I can say is that this was brilliant! It sounds anything but simple... I can imagine how this would sound played on a huge church organ… I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks to all who have commented on my piece, and if we get more ragtime in the recital I'll be happy! The remark about the library was just because I've heard people who play Clue speak in clipped little phrases when they decide whodunit, and my first two "lunch" comments reminded me of that.

And, yes, learning to whack the bass has been one of my projects. This didn't make it onto the demo - I tried it on Sunday after having been up till 4:00 AM listening to my brother's band for 6 hours, and I could hardly stand to hear the noise from the piano. So there's 30 secs- 1 minute each of Sentimental Journey, It Had to Be You, and Sail Along Silvery Moon. There's at least two places I want to take it early next week, and we'll see how it goes.

I'll be a little slow this week on reviews while I catch up with work, but here's some more.

24. Monica K. - Fairy Tale Very delicate, and boy was the quiet just what I needed after a hectic day. Your touch was great.

26. Mile Hi Steve - Leaning on the Everlasting Arms You sure play all the old hymns from my childhood smile . Very nice.

30. cscl - Bagatelle Very nice - clear and bell-like. I like the deep bass movement.

32. TrapperJohn - Wishing You Were... Your playing gets more sophisticated every time. How do you find time to practice when you play so much golf? laugh I like the care you take with your pieces.

33. knotty - Petite Fleur A real pro. I'd love to hear you guys live.

34. Andy Platt - Prelude Well done. Nice dynamics and great ending.

I'll get to more as I can, and go back and pick up some I've missed, but as usual it's a great recital.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission