2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Kathy and I will be in NYC Sept. 23-25

We land at Laguardia Sunday morning September 23rd.
We don't have meetings until Monday afternoon (24th), flying back out the evening of the 25th.

Will be staying up near Piano Row, probably on W 57th, if we can find a place that doesn't cost more than my car
(one night hotel rate is more than a round trip flight ticket from FL).

Wondered if there might be any piano owning members in the area who would like to host a piano forums party, or just put up with Kathy and me visiting :-)

(Keep in mind we won't have a car and aren't familiar with the subway system, so good instructions would be appreciated.)

We are also planning to visit the piano shops on W 58th Monday and/or Tuesday morning.

Feel free to reply to this thread, PM me, or email frank_baxter@pianoworld.com

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Hi Frank,

I live in Philly, but would be interested in taking the trip up. Let me know if this materializes.

Also, regarding the hotel: if you stay a little farther south, you can probably get a room for <$200/night at a 3 star hotel. The Holiday Inn on 57th is probably going for around $300/night. You can take a cab or walk up to 57th. Subway's not impossible to figure out for this stretch of city, but definitely interesting for first-timers.

Hope it helps.

Deru

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Deru,

We ended up with the Holiday Inn on 57th. More money than I wanted to spend, but
conveniently located.

Should be into the hotel by noon on Sunday, which will give us Sunday afternoon/night to visit
if something materializes.

We should also have Monday morning open, and Tuesday up to about 4:30 (flight out
of Laguardia is Tues. night at 7:45). Had thought of trying to take in Ellis Island but probably not
practical for this trip.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Frank,

A fun thing to do at night, take a walk down Broaday - lots of lights. Another suggestion is to walk down Fifth Avenue - Kathy will love all the shopping and when you get to 34th Street, there's the Empire State Building it's a daytime thing to do.

I know you and Kathy won't have much time - just suggestions. How can I leave out Steinway Hall - just walk straight down 57th Street - it's just a short hop, skip and a jump from Carnegie Hall.

Time Warner Building, Columbus Circle and Central Park are within easy walking distance from the Holiday Inn. In fact put on your walking shoes and enjoy. It's the fastest and easiest way to get around all of the above.

Hope the weather is cool and the sun shines bright for you trip. Enjoy

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Hi musdan,

Thanks for your note.
I've been to the area a few times, including the famous first Piano Crawl in 2003
( http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/921398/ ).
My daughter went to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts too, so I've been around that area (3rd and East 30th).

However Kathy has only seen NY briefly on time when we were driving through. I managed to get her up in the Empire State Building, but by the time we got to Piano Row most of the stores were closed.

So yes, we will try to visit Steinway Hall and Carnigie Hall, and possibly Central Park.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Frank - I forgot to mention Lincoln Center. Hope you and Kathy have good weather. If you get to Steinway they have have practice rooms on the second floor, but I know you'll get to play and boy, I wonder what it would be like to own one.

My teacher has a Steinway and she keeps in top condition.

Enjoy NY, have fun. smile

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission