2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Wzkit Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum (but have been posting on the Piano forum for a few months). I posted some of my old recordings on Pianostreet's Audition room and got a few comments there. Just thought that I might solicit a few more comments and suggestions from those here who don't frequent Pianostreet.
Anyway, for a start, here's the Pianostreet link my recording of Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess. I apologise that I've not been able to host it on a seperate site...but anyway, here goes!

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,11691.0.html

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very nice! laugh

Your playing is very smooth and technically perfect (at least to my ears, I haven't played this piece). And that Ibach is one nice piano!

Promise to record something on your new Sauter when you get it, please! wink

Wzkit Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by virtuoso_735:
Very nice! laugh

Your playing is very smooth and technically perfect (at least to my ears, I haven't played this piece). And that Ibach is one nice piano!

Promise to record something on your new Sauter when you get it, please! wink
Thank you! laugh You bet I will record something on my Sauter when it arrives...but I'll have to acoustically treat the room to get satisfactory results first smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One of my favorite piano pieces Wzkit - and you play it marvelously!

Thanks for sharing.

John

Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!
Wzkit Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Johnny-Boy:
One of my favorite piano pieces Wzkit - and you play it marvelously!

Thanks for sharing.

John
Thanks! Its nice to know someone actually enjoys this "romanticised" Pavane!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This piece is on my list of to-do's in the not-too-distant future I hope. You did a very good job, in control, confident. Keep up the good work.

Yea, I find that people are more likely to comment on this forum. I don't know what the problem is at PianoStreet. Gary, "gaer", was complaining about the fact that only like one out of ten people who listen make comments.

Welcome to this forum and keep the good work coming.
Mike White

Wzkit Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Yamaha G3 & P-80:
This piece is on my list of to-do's in the not-too-distant future I hope. You did a very good job, in control, confident. Keep up the good work.

Yea, I find that people are more likely to comment on this forum. I don't know what the problem is at PianoStreet. Gary, "gaer", was complaining about the fact that only like one out of ten people who listen make comments.

Welcome to this forum and keep the good work coming.
Mike White
On the contrary, I find this forum even more quiet as far as comments are concerned, compared to Pianostreet. Whereas I would get a comment around once in 3-4 days for a recording when it is first put up on Pianostreet, here I would be lucky to get a comment once a week. It just seems to me that the "Member's Recording" forum is not the most active forum here on Piano World. There's definitely a lot more activity in the Piano forum and the Pianist's Corner.

One thing I find particularly challenging in the Pavane is bringing out the multitude of colours convincingly, yet without sounding too contrived and mannered. This takes very careful work on touch, pedalling and phrasing. And it does sound deceptively easy, but it is not. The last 2 pages for example, can be quite a challenge, at least for me.

I'll be putting up more recordings soon, as soon as I can get them in order!

good job

what did u use to make the quality so good?? :p tell me tell me tell me

im desperate to begin recording!

Wzkit Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by iNBi:
good job

what did u use to make the quality so good?? :p tell me tell me tell me

im desperate to begin recording!
2 AKG 4000s and 2 AKG 451s,
a TASCAM DAT recorder,
and an analog mixer (can't remember the name)

Well done! The piece is a bit too romantic for my taste, but you do the only right thing in bringing that out all the way! Really great control of tone and dynamics. I have a feeling it could go just a little bit faster, but that's just my view.

If you want some nitpicking criticism, I have the same issue here as with the Liszt Consolation you posted at pianostreet's: the rubato is sometimes a bit of a mannerism and interrupts the line rather than strengthens it. Beware particularly of hesitating before a downbeat that ends a phrase - not that you should never do it, but perhaps less often.

Wzkit Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by troglodyte:
Well done! The piece is a bit too romantic for my taste, but you do the only right thing in bringing that out all the way! Really great control of tone and dynamics. I have a feeling it could go just a little bit faster, but that's just my view.

If you want some nitpicking criticism, I have the same issue here as with the Liszt Consolation you posted at pianostreet's: the rubato is sometimes a bit of a mannerism and interrupts the line rather than strengthens it. Beware particularly of hesitating before a downbeat that ends a phrase - not that you should never do it, but perhaps less often.
Your nitpicking criticism is certainly well taken! I think you may be right about hesitating too much before the downbeat.Certainly something worth exploring/rectifying the next time I revisit the piece. Thanks!

I
I
I know this is 5 years later but you play this really well! This is the best piano recording I have found so far smile

This is one of my favorite pieces. You evoke so much emotion- Bravo!!!

W
W
After an absence of six years from Pianoworld, its nice to see someone actually looking at this recording again. Its probably time to re-examine the Pavane once more, see if there's anything new to bring to the table, and perhaps re-record it on my SK-6!

Sauter Delta 185, Bosendorfer 225, Ibach F III 215

R
R
I downloaded this Ravel Pavane back in 2006 and still listen to it VERY often. I have enjoyed some other piano versions, but I think this 'romanticized' version is excellent. In my opinion, this type of coloring, tempo, dynamics and emotion is what makes this piece stand out among many other renditions. I am trying now to learn it myself, and so I find myself online looking for advice on how to tackle the difficulty of playing these three parts on top of each other with just two hands, (heh heh, I'm a drummer, not a pianist), and so now I am back where I started: finding wzkit's posts!

So I just had to post again and say thanks to you wzkit!!! Back in 2006 I also very much liked your Debussy Reverie recording on the Sauter--the beginning is such a light touch that the piano sounds like a harp -- to me this sounds amazing! The clear and pure and strong fundamental tone of the Sauter is very alluring in comparison to more Western piano sounds with lush overtones, that can at times sound too busy. And I have always wanted a Sauter since, even though I don't deserve one, because I've never practiced enough.

Have you revisited the Pavane lately? How do you like the sound of it on the Sauter?

Oh, and one pianist who I think very nicely plays Ravel's Pavane is Laura Mikkola, who can be seen on youtube.

Atlanta, GA
1912 C. Kurtzmann & Co. 54" upright
Casio Privia PX-5S
D
D
wow great recording!

I hope to play like this one day!

W
W
Wow, after an absence of two years, I was surprised to see a response to this recording two years ago

deadndeblock and Rob_Ee, thanks very much for your kind comments. I have been playing the Pavane a little more recently, though I suspect I take a slightly faster tempo these days, depending on mood. I'm also finding that without constant practice, isn't quite as easy to reproduce as wide a dynamic range as on the earlier recording. The Sauter is great for the Reverie, but I personally find its mid range less ringing for the Pavane. Where it really excels is in the upper treble and bass, which you can hear in my other recordings of the Liszt Consolation, and the Ginastera. My Bosendorfer probably works better for this piece, I think.

For a benchmark (and heavily romanticized) recording of this piece, try Shura Cherkassky, whose recording can be found on youtube. For me, the range of colours and emotion he brings to this piece are simply unrivalled.

Sauter Delta 185, Bosendorfer 225, Ibach F III 215

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission