2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
origen Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hello, i just wrote this long post and then deleted it, Im going to get right to the point, ive got 3k and i need a great feeling midi contoller, 88 weighted keys, aftertouch, mod wheels, and no sounds, just a board, here are brands that i wont buy, casio, maudio, studiologic, yamaha, roland, korg, nord, kurzweil,... the kawai mp10 felt the best out of all of them but its big and i dont need all the sounds, so Im wondering if theres something out there with similiar action thats just a board...Doepfer lmk4 and numa nero are close to what im looking for but doepfer aesthetically unappealing and fatar, and numa has a pile of bad reviews, any other lesser known brands I can check out and explore, this is half the fun! IF not then the mp10 might have to be my choice, thanks for the replies!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
The board you want doesn't exist. Even the MP10 doesn't have aftertouch. And I think your list covered all the possibilities in weighted 88s. The only other thing I could suggest is the Infinite Response VAX77, which has a unique but, by most accounts, a very playable action for piano, and it has polyphonic aftertouch, no sounds, and is not big and heavy like the MP10 (in fact, it folds!). It does not feel anything like an MP10, though, so if that is the kind of feel you prefer, you may not be happy with it either. And possibly the biggest compromise would be that it is a 76 key board instead of 88. But every board will be a compromise.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You pretty much eliminated every brand except Kawai, so I think the decision has been made for you wink.

Les C Deal

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Nothing available for you.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
O
origen Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Well then lol, I guess im roasty toasty, I just wasnt sure if there was something that I was missing out there, and ugh, I didnt realize there was no aftertouch on the mp10...im so sad right now......the kawai keybed has ruined me to all others its just so good

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
MP10, or wait...

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Any idea clues as to the weight, and the wait, James? ;-) You've probably said too much already.....

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Kawai James
MP10, or wait...

James
x

Oooh! Intriguing....

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Yeah well it's a good opportunity as both Yamaha and Roland ditched their 88 key weighted controllers and the others on the market are rubbish Fatar actions etc So it's a opportunity for Kawai to introduce a product into the market that has no competition and with the excellent control aspects of the MP10 as a base (this has the single best interface of any keyboard ...period) I can't see how they could go wrong actually. Kawai see opportunity where Roland and Yamaha see none and blind freddy can see that since the KX88 there has been nothing worthwhile on the market with 88 keys so it would be filling a hole in the market.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
G
G
If poly AT is vital to you, you should check out the VAX77 (but be aware that it has 77 keys and no hammeraction). Otherwise the Roland FP 7F is a competitor to the MP10

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I'll wait. If you have the time I suggest you do the same. The board youre looking for doesn't exist (yet). A lot of us are probably looking for the same thing and since the big brands stopped making pure master keyboard controller boards (I don't count all the computer controller keyboard crap out there) , there has been a void. Hopefully James points us in the right direction and makes it worth the extra waiting time. Of course he can't say more....

As long as its going to have after touch....a big lack on most alternatives these days. There's no real good piano feel keybed with AT - perhaps its not possible on such keybeds , I don't know...

J

Online Content
Kawai does not currently produce a digital piano action with after-touch. I think the last Kawai instrument that did was the K5000 synth, but that was obviously a completely different action.

But to be honest, if you're after a realistic piano controller, why would you need after-touch?

Cheers,
James
x

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Yeh, the moment I wrote that I was wondering the same thing. A real piano touch doesn't really have much use for after touch because you'll probably play synth and organ parts on a lighter keybed anyway. Such a keyboard fits the non piano sounds better. Closest thing to piano+AT so far are Numa master keyboards or the top workstations from kurzweil, Clavia, Roland and Yamaha . But they don't offer the ultimate best piano keybed.

Still if the 'piano like' master keyboard controller is the only instrument you carry around, then after touch would be a nice feature, since you play all parts on it. If its possible at all without compromising the keybed and wouldn't add too much to the price (just a piece of rubber with sensors as far as I understand).

No deal breaker, but a nice extra sales argument, especially when non of the competition offers the same feature.

Online Content
I appreciate the point you're making, however I maintain that after-touch in a piano-oriented controller isn't necessary. Moreover, the actions were not designed to use after-touch in the first place, so bolting it on as an extra feature may impair the realism/quality of its key touch.

Cheers,
James
x

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
OTOH, people raved about the Kurzweil MIDIboard... a great piano-like action, and it had polyphonic aftertouch. Too bad it weighed about 100 lbs.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Well James, your post answers my question; it will probably compromise a perfect piano like keybed design. So to retain the best touch, better no (after) touch ;-)

If its desirable at all, remains a point of discussion , but if the keybed will suffer, than its a no go.

Thanks. J

Last edited by JFP; 08/18/12 10:50 AM.
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Kawai already makes an excellent 88-key controller at a sensible weight - it's called the MP6. (No aftertouch, of course.) The fact that it has built-in sounds is irrelevant: you just set it up to control your modules/computer/whatever. The action is very good, too. Plus it doesn't cost silly money.

On a side note, I am so hoping that the "wait" will be worth it: full on, no holds barred, no corners cut, outstanding PORTABLE instrument.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
O
origen Offline OP
OP Offline
O
So the reason aftertouch is important is that many vsts, east west, vienna, NI, include symphonic patches that utilize aftertouch, brass, winds, drums, they use aftertouch for expressions, and these instruments still feel great to play on weighted keys, I used to use a triton extreme 88, but even those keys felt too plastic, so ultimately the magic combination is 1 excellent keyed 2 mod wheels 3 aftertouch, 4 nice looking, need them all, and willing to pay for them, does anyone know how the roland a80 compares keybedwise to the rd700nx?

O
origen Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I'm thinking now that ill get something on the cheap like the a80 just to pass the next few months and hopefully winter namm will bring us something special.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I agree with Origen on the after touch wish, but I keep on having the feeling there are just a handful of people that would like such action to appear . Since I had boards like that in the past from korg , gem and kurzweil (all 88 weighted keys) , I was accustomed and always used after touch for many presets , regardless of the weight of the keys (many non-piano sounds were still very playable on these keybeds). But since then the AT feature seems to have become an afterthought on non-high end workstation keyboards. Could be because of compromises to really good piano-like keybeds, as said before, or just that nobody cares anymore. Don't know..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission