2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
I've not seen too much Schumann posted here, but there have been some recent threads about his life and music.

I am particularly fond of the Fantasiestücke collection of 8 and this is the first one I wanted to learn. Des Abends is next, but it is a bit of a stretch, technically.

Hope you enjoy this one-pager - feedback and comments are welcomed and encouraged.

Warum? Op 12 No 3
https://www.box.com/s/923446cb65d9f9e24f68

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I cannot understand why this performance has garnered no comments. Listeners, this is beautiful!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think my biggest concern is the rhythm/tempo.

There are numerous tempo fluctuations that to me appear for no particularly good reason. I think several of the 16th notes are played more like 32nd notes. I'd recommend practicing the piece with a metronome and after being able to play it perfectly in time adding carefully thought out rubato.

The tone is quite nice. What piano was used in the recording?

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Glen, I'm with pianoloverus on this one -- the arbitrary changes in tempo and imprecisiona between 32nd and 16th notes are just too bothersome to me. This isn't jazz, and too much rubato in this piece IMO actually diminishes the poignancy of expression rather than enhancing it. While I do hear a good deal of sensitivity to the emotional implications in your rendition, I would agree with pv -- concentrate on playing this piece rhythmically "straight", allowing perhaps a little broadening at the climactic point. Also, I would look for any opportunity to make the repeated section slightly different than the first. In general, I tend to be a curmudgeon on this -- in theme and variationa or whatever, I never like hearing the repeats presently EXACTLY the same way.

I
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you, Andy, pl, and Tim for the very constructive feedback!

One of my struggles you easily identified is what tends to happen when I get wrapped up in the sound of that piano and the emotion of a melody i want express more strongly --- any sense of strict time starts to get dicey, specially in those sections.

When I hold a strict sense of time, the emotion of the piece goes pretty far south and it starts to sound too metronomic. There's a great deal going on with this one-pager and I went with the take that seemed to capture my expressing the mood and sound, clearly sacrificing the critical details you found very distracting. Bad habits are hard to break, for sure...

I very much appreciate the feedback and when I can resume any kind of practice at all, I will hold more strongly to varying the repeats, and even more strongly adhering to a much more well-defined tempo, or what i perceive as a pulse with this gem.

Pl ~ the piano is a virtually unmolested NY 1917 O I maintain

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission