Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
90 registered members (accordeur, Bagong, brooster, anotherscott, bsntn99, 22 invisible), 1,522 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? #1926873
07/14/12 10:38 PM
07/14/12 10:38 PM
G
ggould Offline OP
ggould  Offline OP
G

I'm extremely confused by all the different types of USB cables. I want to be able to connect my Clavinova CLP-150 to my laptop computer via USB. Which USB cable should I buy? Thanks and sorry for the newbie question.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1926917
07/15/12 12:36 AM
07/15/12 12:36 AM
Redondo Beach, California
C
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member
ChrisA  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
C

Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted by ggould
I'm extremely confused by all the different types of USB cables. I want to be able to connect my Clavinova CLP-150 to my laptop computer via USB. Which USB cable should I buy? Thanks and sorry for the newbie question.

They are all pretty much the same. The piano has three round 5-pin MIDI connectors. called in, out and through. You only need to use in and out.

Get a cable like the maudio "uno" that has a pair of round DIN connectors on one end and a USB connector on the other. The UNO is nice because it has LEDs that let you see if data is moving in the cable. With MIDI the "in" on the cable goes to the "out" on the piano. Never plug two "INs" or two "OUTs together.

That's it. Buy an "Uno" or something like it and plug it in. Should "just Work" on the computer end the USB interface is standardized now and all Macs come with the required drivers and software built-in. I think newer Windows PCs have the drivers built-in now but you will need to acquire the software.

Here is a link Uno

That said you have another option

You will almost certainly need an audio interface, likely with a USB interface. Even if you don't think yu do, you do. Most of these have a MIDI to USB interface built-in. So if you get ione of these you don't need the above cable. It is much better to have everything in one box, not only to reduce cable-clutter but to with only the one cable going into the computer you can'r possibly have a ground loop.
You would then buy a pair of standard MIDI cables (round 5-pin pugs on each end.) to got from the box to the piano.

Here is one that I like: AudioBoxUSB
But there are others with about the same specs like this one US144mk2

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1926921
07/15/12 12:46 AM
07/15/12 12:46 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
The CLP150 must have been one of the first Clavinovas to have a USB-to-host connection. How-to information is in the user manual.

Slide the "Host Select" switch to USB, connect a standard USB cable to the computer and the piano, and install the driver on your PC. The USB cable will be the same as you'd used to connect a printer ... type A plug on one end and type B plug on the other.

The original CD that came with the piano had drivers for older versions of Windows, stopping at Windows XP. If you have a newer version of Windows, get the newest driver from Yamaha's web site.

The manuals are online at http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/search.php?div=emi ... just enter the model number CLP-150 and you can get the owner's manual and installation guide.

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1926923
07/15/12 12:50 AM
07/15/12 12:50 AM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
tangleweeds  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Portland, OR
Thip page says this model should be able to connect to the computer via a straight USB cable (i.e. without the MIDI converter thingie, which can add lag, right?).

But it doesn't say what sort of USB cable you will need.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 07/15/12 12:56 AM.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1926953
07/15/12 02:44 AM
07/15/12 02:44 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
The MIDI converter does not add any lag. But, yes, you can connect without a MIDI converter ... just a USB cable.

There are generally three kinds of USB cable. All have a type A connector on one end ... the kind that plugs into a computer. The other end can have a type B ... which is what's needed here. Like this: USB cable

So it's easy. Get a USB connector with an A plug on one end and a B plug on the other. It's a standard printer cable ... though you'll need one long enough for your situation.

After you get this working, you might find that your computer sound card introduces too much latency. The freebie ASIO4All program can help. But if it's still not acceptable, you'll need an external sound card. One can be installed inside a desktop computer, or outside a laptop via a USB plug.

Most of these cards include MIDI connections ... so you could just use a MIDI cable (instead of a USB cable), with one end plugged into the piano's MIDI out and the other to the sound card's MIDI in. Like this: MIDI cable

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1927097
07/15/12 12:26 PM
07/15/12 12:26 PM
G
ggould Offline OP
ggould  Offline OP
G

Thanks. The CLP-150 indeed can connect via straight USB. It does seem like a Type A to Type B USB cable is needed, like the one MAcMacMac linked to. Is there any difference between using the direct USB connection and using the MIDI connectors?

Okay so here is another newbie question:

Once I have the cable and the driver and I can transfer a MIDI file which I record on the Clavinova from the Clavinova to the computer, what can I do with it?

I basically just want to be able to hear my classical piano recordings on the computer, as they sound on the Clavinova (or better). It is my understanding that MIDI just contains information and no actual sound, so does this mean I will need computer software that will translate the MIDI to some other piano sound (not the Clavinova)? Is using this method the best option for what I want to do?

If I wanted to record via a digital camera instead, what would be the difference? Would this also be via MIDI?

Last edited by ggould; 07/15/12 12:26 PM.
Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1927245
07/15/12 06:47 PM
07/15/12 06:47 PM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
If you feed MIDI data into the computer, you'll still need software to produce sound. So use any of the many piano library packages. (Note: You're not limited to piano. There are libraries for all sorts of instruments. You can play guitar from a piano keyboard.)

Many of the piano libraries will produce better sound than any digital piano. Any digital at all. So, yes, I think that would satisfy your needs.

If you wish to record the sound produced by such a piano library ...

You can record digitally on the computer, with the plain-and-simple sound recorder that comes with Windows, or with any other package, such as the free but very capable Audacity program.

Or you can feed the computer sound output to any audio or video recorder, using just a cable connection.

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: MacMacMac] #1927269
07/15/12 08:35 PM
07/15/12 08:35 PM
G
ggould Offline OP
ggould  Offline OP
G

MacMacMac, how about connecting the Clavinova to a video camera instead of a computer, so that the sound produced by the Clavinova is recorded by the camera, simultaneously with video. Is that possible? If so, what kind of connection would that be?

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1927275
07/15/12 08:50 PM
07/15/12 08:50 PM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
The piano will send sound from it Aux Out connection. You can feed that to the Aux Input (or Line Input) of any audio device.

But, unfortunately, video cameras tend not to have Line Inputs. Instead, they have Mic Inputs ... for a microphone. Since the signal amplitude from your piano's Aux Out is MUCH too high for that Mic Input, you'll get severe distortion in the video camera. So you'll need to cut the signal level with a "pad". Unfortunately, these tend to be expensive. But you can make your own for under $10.

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1942839
08/14/12 08:49 PM
08/14/12 08:49 PM
G
ggould Offline OP
ggould  Offline OP
G

Hi,

I finally got the USB cable that MacMacMac suggested in the link above.

I installed the driver for Windows 7 from this page:

http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/

I installed the um3122x86.zip one.

Now, after I installed the driver, and connect the Clavinova to my computer, I see the driver in my Device Manager in Control Panel, but otherwise, nothing happens when I connect it.

How can I now transfer the files from the Clavinova to my computer? Am I supposed to be seeing a new drive in My Computer, like when I connect an external hard drive? Is something else supposed to happen when you connect the USB that is connected to the Clavinova?

Thanks for your help.

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1942974
08/15/12 01:21 AM
08/15/12 01:21 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
Your original post said ...
I want to be able to connect my Clavinova CLP-150 to my laptop computer via USB.
But you did not say why.

If you're asking how to transfer files ... the manual for the CLP150 says you do that using a floppy disk.

Using the USB cable you bought and the USB/MIDI driver you installed, your piano is presented to Windows as a MIDI device. You generally don't transfer files with this type of connection. Instead, you play the piano and your piano library software produces the piano sound.

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ChrisA] #1943036
08/15/12 05:51 AM
08/15/12 05:51 AM
A
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by ChrisA
I want to be able to connect my Clavinova CLP-150 to my laptop computer via USB

Buy an "Uno" ...

Here is a link Uno

Although this thread confirmed that all he needs is a standard USB printer cable, I also thought it was worth pointing out, for those who may want to use the standard MIDI connectors for some reason, that the Uno is about the only MIDI interface to not buy. As pointed out on the Sweetwater link you provided, the Uno has problems with Yamaha products. Any other similar interface should be fine.

This is why, in general, I always suggest avoiding the Uno. Even if you don't have a Yamaha product, you can't be sure you won't have one in the future, won't ever borrow a friend's, etc. Why choose the only interface with issues when you can get one without?

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1943039
08/15/12 06:03 AM
08/15/12 06:03 AM
A
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
A

I basically just want to be able to hear my classical piano recordings on the computer, as they sound on the Clavinova (or better). It is my understanding that MIDI just contains information and no actual sound, so does this mean I will need computer software that will translate the MIDI to some other piano sound (not the Clavinova)?

You are correct that MIDI is just data, not sound. It is a record of the fact that, for example, you hit middle C with a given force and held it for some number of seconds. What does that sound like? By itself, nothing. But if you send that information back into the attached Clavinova, it will sound like the Clavinova. If you buy and attach some other keyboard in the future and play the same file into that new keyboard, it will sound like that keyboard. You can also have the MIDI file trigger virtual instruments, i.e. software in your computer, and it will sound like whatever computer instrument you have assigned it to. These other instruments don't have to be piano sounds... you can just as easily play the MIDI file back and hear it as played by organ, string sounds, brass sounds, whatever.

If you want an *audio* recording of your Clavinova performance, you don't use MIDI at all. You use the audio output of the Clavinova (the headphone jack will do, if it doesn't have other line outputs). You can record that into your computer, or any kind of audio recording device at all.

Re: USB Cable to connect CLP-150 to computer? [Re: ggould] #1943110
08/15/12 09:46 AM
08/15/12 09:46 AM
G
ggould Offline OP
ggould  Offline OP
G

If you're asking how to transfer files ... the manual for the CLP150 says you do that using a floppy disk.

Using the USB cable you bought and the USB/MIDI driver you installed, your piano is presented to Windows as a MIDI device. You generally don't transfer files with this type of connection. Instead, you play the piano and your piano library software produces the piano sound.

I would like to be able to transfer files.

The CLP-150 does not have a floppy drive. I believe you saw it in the manual because it is the same manual for both CLP-170 and CLP-150. It was my understanding that you can transfer MIDI files using the USB MIDI cable.

Upon further research, I discovered some software by Yamaha that is supposed to allow you to transfer files from the Clavinova to the computer in this link:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...talpianos/clp_series/clp-150/?mode=model

You can download "MusicSoft Downloader ver.5.6.1 for Windows". However, the sad thing is that this program does not seem to be recognizing the Clavinova, even though the driver is installed. It has a way to test ports, and I try all of them, but all of them fail.

Has anyone been able to successfully transfer files using the USB MIDI connection? Is there anything else I can do to transfer the files?

Last edited by ggould; 08/15/12 09:47 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Of speakers and watts
by mydp. 11/13/18 05:35 PM
altered chords and chord progressions
by Jitin. 11/13/18 12:26 PM
Ornette Coleman's "Lonely Woman"
by KenBakerMN. 11/13/18 08:54 AM
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,318
Posts2,760,813
Members91,484
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission