Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Birdgolf, Anticlock, 7uturu, aireque, BucketNerlens, brassplyer, AprilE, anotherscott, ChatNoir, 13 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Heavy vs Light Action #1942500
08/14/12 11:23 AM
08/14/12 11:23 AM
Reading, UK
V
Vectistim Offline OP
Vectistim  Offline OP
V

Reading, UK
Ignoring spring loaded machines that are difficult to control the generaly consensus seems to be the practising on a heavy machine makes using a light machine easier, but is this really the case?

For this I'm going to use an abitrary unit of pressure/velocity called the point.

Lets say you have a heavy action and each increase in volume requires an increase of 10 points, so for a MIDI output of 1 10 points are needed and for 255 2,550 points.
Therefore you learn how to apply pressure in units of 10 +/- 4

Now lets say you want to play on a lighter action that requires only 6 points +/- 2 per discrete volume change.

The person used to the heavy machine is accustomed to less accuracy in the weight applied to each key press than the person used to the light machine, so why would it be easier to change from heavy to light than from light to heavy?

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Heavy vs Light Action [Re: Vectistim] #1942509
08/14/12 11:39 AM
08/14/12 11:39 AM
North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
6000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

North Carolina
If you're accustomed to a light action, you'll find it hard to press the keys on a heavy one. The feel will seem entirely wrong.

I don't know, though, whether learning on a heavy action translates to skill on a light action.

Anyway, such generalities are moot. Do whatever you like, and the experts be damned.

Re: Heavy vs Light Action [Re: Vectistim] #1942514
08/14/12 11:41 AM
08/14/12 11:41 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
You'd be surprised that by simply changing the sensitivity of the keyboard the action can seem like a completely different keyboard. Try that ... and forget trying to assign numbers.

If you want to play well on a light action keyboard, practice on a light action keyboard.

If you want to play well on a heavier action keyboard, practice on a heavier action keyboard.

I have a fair amount of technique and sat in with a group that had a keyboard with an unweighted action. I couldn't play it, it was a nightmare. Even after 15 minutes I was not comfortable ... and I impressed no one.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Re: Heavy vs Light Action [Re: Vectistim] #1942516
08/14/12 11:51 AM
08/14/12 11:51 AM
Reading, UK
V
Vectistim Offline OP
Vectistim  Offline OP
V

Reading, UK
The numbers thing was just to illustrate the point, a comparison might be footballers who will at times practise with a tennis ball - you need greater accuracy with the smaller ball, similarly you need greater accuracy to control a light keyboard.

If I want a really heavy action I just go and find a poorly maintained tracker action organ and pull all the couples out.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Heavy vs Light Action [Re: Dave Horne] #1942548
08/14/12 12:44 PM
08/14/12 12:44 PM
A
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by Dave Horne
I have a fair amount of technique and sat in with a group that had a keyboard with an unweighted action. I couldn't play it, it was a nightmare. Even after 15 minutes I was not comfortable ... and I impressed no one.

Though none are great, not all unweighted actions are equally bad for piano. I think the worst ones suffer from three things that make them nearly impossible to play well. One is that there is often so little difference between the velocity needed for "quiet" and the velocity needed for "loud" that subtle dynamic variants are nearly impossible to control. Another is that the common short pivot points mean that the back of keys play differently from the fronts of the keys (especially evident on black keys). A third is that the lack of resistance and (usually) rounded key edges means that it is quite easy to accidentally trigger the note adjacent to the one you're aiming for on your way to striking a distant target. OTOH, about that last one, I have heard the argument that it is worth sometimes practicing piano on an unweighted board because that demand for greater accuracy prevents you from getting away with things you can get away with on a real piano!

Re: Heavy vs Light Action [Re: Vectistim] #1942722
08/14/12 06:17 PM
08/14/12 06:17 PM
Atlanta, GA
PianoWorksATL Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PianoWorksATL  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Atlanta, GA
In the acoustic world, within the range of what is considered acceptable norms, it is easier to adjust from a firmer to a lighter touch on short notice. That's about as far as this limited analogy goes. Outside of acceptable ranges, too heavy or too light are actually damaging to technique and make adjusting to normal a slow process.

Using keyboard setting to change the touch works better than it should since the mechanism isn't affected, only the touch response. However, I think it further makes the point that what we prefer becomes what is correct. I find that I use this mostly with the EP's because I often don't like the preset curve. It makes a huge difference on EP's that I previously disliked. I tinker with them and make a variety of changes. For AP's, I like it at normal or one notch heavier.

On any given day, I'll play on 10 different pianos & DP's in our store. I've learned to adjust on the fly, but then I'm playing easy pieces.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Removing Wurlitzer Action
by masonhamlin. 10/18/18 08:15 PM
Galaxy II - Vienna Grand (Bosendorfer 290)
by Max_Forte. 10/18/18 06:38 PM
Roland RP 102 vs Yamaha & Kawai
by Jtater02. 10/18/18 02:49 PM
Looking for advice on performing in public.
by klavierstücke. 10/18/18 01:30 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,881
Posts2,753,844
Members91,289
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission