2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 269 of 341 1 2 267 268 269 270 271 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
It is for the E maj sequence.

In ATTYA, the F#-7b5 B7 is a trick progression because it's a minor ii-V but then it goes to E major. Don't then assume that the entire ii-V-i progression is major. It just switched to major at the tonic (so it changed scales). So you have to treat it for what it is. A minor ii-V. The major ii-V it represents is a minor third away. So you go here from G scale (if we take out alterations) to E scale. That should tell you in itself that a tritone sub will not voice lead back to Emaj7 since that belongs to a different key.

Edit - BTW - this is where most people get messed up in ATTYA.

Last edited by jazzwee; 08/14/12 12:43 AM.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jazzwee

Don't then assume that the entire ii-V-i progression is major. It just switched to major at the tonic (so it changed scales).

So is the A pentatonic an OK scale to use over the F# min7 b5 ?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi everyone
Apologies if it feels like I'm dominating this thread blush

On the subject of bridges which are difficult to interpret, I'm doing an arrangement for When I Fall in Love.
I don't understand the harmonic interpretation of the roots Eb maj to Ab maj to G min7 to Fmin 7 ?

I would value your insight.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Cus, as mentioned earlier (and I realize it's all confusing), but the proper mode to use (of the melodic minor) over a half diminished chord is a Diminished Whole Tone Scale (it's a diminished scale to the Tritone and whole tone after that, hence the name).

Some of these is just memorized. There's a reference in Levine. I think that this is particularly important to know since a half diminished chord is pretty common (like Autumn Leaves).

I can tell you that my teacher(s) would expect me to know it instantly.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
Hi everyone
Apologies if it feels like I'm dominating this thread blush

You're keeping the thread active so how can that be a bad thing? smile

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Hi Cus, as mentioned earlier (and I realize it's all confusing), but the proper mode to use (of the melodic minor) over a half diminished chord is a Diminished Whole Tone Scale (it's a diminished scale to the Tritone and whole tone after that, hence the name).

Some of these is just memorized. There's a reference in Levine. I think that this is particularly important to know since a half diminished chord is pretty common (like Autumn Leaves).

I can tell you that my teacher(s) would expect me to know it instantly.

Thanks JW. I'm only up to learning the melodic minor 1st mode. After this I will start on the diminished scales. Is the diminished whole tone scale the best one to learn straight after the melodic minor 1st mode ?

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Jazzwee: Shouldn't the diminished whole tone scale be used over the V chord in a minor II-V? You've indicated that it should be used over the half diminished (II) chord. I use locrian #2 over that part of the progression.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jjo
Jazzwee: Shouldn't the diminished whole tone scale be used over the V chord in a minor II-V? You've indicated that it should be used over the half diminished (II) chord. I use locrian #2 over that part of the progression.

LOL - wrong mode. Well I messed that up. I don't have the modes memorized but I know what it is I play (I did admit to that earlier smile )

OK so just to clear it up for Cus. It's Half-Dim (MM Mode VI) for Half-Dim chord, then Dim-Whole Tone for the V chord (MM Mode VII) then MinMaj7 for the I chord (MM Mode I). Just learn it for the whole minor ii-V-I.

When you check out the intervals against the underlying chord, it's pretty clear what should happen so that's why I stopped thinking of the scales (meaning I can quickly visualize the scale around the chord).

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Didn't mean to be the chord scale police!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jjo

Much appreciated jjo.
I can't wait to finish learning the melodic minor scale 1st mode so that I can start learning the diminished whole tone scale.

In the meantime I'm very happy with Knotty's suggestion of C melodic minor or F lydian dominant.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Oscar Peterson master class for ya:

http://youtu.be/ayuWYPQHkMc

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I had an interesting experience last night. We invited a soprano sax player to sit in on our gig. This fellow plays quite a bit outside the harmony. I wasn't sure how to comp for that. My ear isn't good enough to pick up what he was doing on the fly and match it. Sometimes I droped out entirely becuase I thought he was better off with just a bass and drums.

In more modern pieces, it was easier. When we played Footprints, for example, quartel comping sounded just right. When we played Time Remembered, I just played a chord at the beginning of most measures and that seemed to work. But when he played odd stuff in a tune like In A Mellow Tone, where I like to have use the comping to bolster the swing feel of the piece, I just wasn't sure where to go.

It was a real challenge and a lot of fun, but I'd need to play with him a couple more times to begin to figure out how to comp more appropriately.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm curious too how you would comp for that. Maybe if I had presence of mind, I'd simplify the voicings to quartals. That's how I usually voice my LH when my RH goes out. But I don't know if I'd know how to react if put in your position. So comments from other more skilled would be interesting.

Lately, my challenge has been when the other players get into an unusual groove and I don't know how to phrase my lines to follow. Some tunes are turned to Jazz funk. Or some unusual latin rhythm with a lot of syncopation. The usual swing eighth note feel doesn't work. I'm still feeling my way around how to handle it. I'm beyond my comfort zome of regular swing and bossa.

My Jazz Blog

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I think if the horn player is going out the thing to do is to follow. There doesn't seem much point in trying to state a chord sequence if the soloist has left it behind. I like to try to match the tonal ambiguity of the soloist with my comping. Moving quartal chords around is a great way of doing that . It does take a bit of practice to be able to play chords that have nothing much to do with the written tonality and retain the original sound and sequence in mind all the time though. It is a great work out for the ears and the brain.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
hey beeboss, got any more idea for triplets? I'm practicing accenting every 4th now, wasnt nearly as good at it as I thought I was..

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
hey beeboss, got any more idea for triplets? I'm practicing accenting every 4th now, wasnt nearly as good at it as I thought I was..

hi kk
Just try all the possible permutations.
For example, grouping triplets in 3's you can try accenting 1, 2, 3, 1+2, 1+3, 2+3
then try only playing 2 of the triplets and leaving the 3rd silent, same permutations.
Then grouped in 4's, try accenting just 1, 2, 3, 4, then 1+2, 1+3, 2+4 etc etc
Then group in 4 but leave out one note
Then group in 5's. Accent 1,2,3, etc or 1+3, etc
group in 6's, then 7's
ad nauseam ...

and slowly until solid and safe

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
We had an awesome gig tonight and for a change the recordings were reasonable (new Zoom H4N). This is just an excerpt and only sax solo. But it gives an idea of what our band generally sounds like nowadays. We had to do 2 encores and the last one was Mustang Sally! (first ever for a jazz band?)

Red Clay Aug-17 - (our favorite jamming tune)
https://www.box.com/s/6f875d86b8887286eb31

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
nice energy!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Knots. Now it will be hard to generate this energy on my trio gig this week. It will be completely different kind of sound.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
not everybody's Oscar Peterson ...

Page 269 of 341 1 2 267 268 269 270 271 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission