2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
The link to my performance of this piece.

I recorded it a year ago.

I'm sorry, but the audio quality is terrible.

I could have felt the theme (and some other moments) in a less rushed way, and there are lots of stupid wrong notes.

But I hope you enjoy it! It is an awesome piece.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Hey I like it! Quality sucks can't hear much, but you could probably hit those bottom bass notes a little louder since they seem to get drowned out, so it sounds strange.
Yea maybe take time sometimes with cadences, a little rubato makes it more powerful imo.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Hey I like it! Quality sucks can't hear much, but you could probably hit those bottom bass notes a little louder since they seem to get drowned out, so it sounds strange.
Yea maybe take time sometimes with cadences, a little rubato makes it more powerful imo.

Yes, I should probably re-record it on another occasion. It is indeed artificially fast, it should be more natural with rubato as you say. The basses were actually strong but the crappy recorder just destroyed almost all sound quality.
Thank you for your input smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I really like the drive you have, a lot. I also really want to hear a good quality recording that will do more justice to your playing! Don't be afraid to place/phrase cadences more and observe the overall shape (work on the big line).
Good luck!

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
I really like the drive you have, a lot. I also really want to hear a good quality recording that will do more justice to your playing! Don't be afraid to place/phrase cadences more and observe the overall shape (work on the big line).
Good luck!

Thank you for your input wink
I'm thinking of buying a good quality sound recorder for Christmas, only then I will be able to make decent recordings... And this recording is from over a year ago so it's sort of immature compared to what I would do now. But it is the only thing I have that is complete (as stupid as it sounds).
I heard you play Brahms and Rachmaninov, they are extremely good! I loved your sound, the trueness of expression. One feels right away that you are a very sensitive and sincere artist/person. Really great! thumb

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Quite spectacular. You play this piece with the requisite passion, which is so hard to sustain through all the technical difficulties. I like the subtleties you present in your tonal balance - the crescendi and decrescendi come across with great effectiveness. Also, the left hand accompaniment has that buzz to it - something of a blur but not too much that you don't understand the notes - which makes this piece quite edgy.

It's one of my favorite Rachmaninoff compositions. This and the Bb prelude are two fantastic bravura pieces.

Fazioli 228.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Overall, I could follow your musical thought quite clearly, in spite of the "tubby", indistinct sound. Personally, I liked your tempo; it did not sound particularly "rushed" to me. However, I would start out the piece much more quietly, so that you have room to build towards the end -- this piece is all about high drama! I agreed with your lyric contrasting material, while maintaining the tempo, but I think the overarching line could be shaped more, to set up the high drama of the concluding material with more clarity and power. But, in general, a very fine rendition!

This piece reminds me uncannily of Medtner's Skazka Op 34 - 2 -- the same relentless rolling bass, and the looooong minor melodic line floating above. Rachmaninov was said to have held Medtner's compositions in VERY high esteem, and in this case the writing is certainly similar!

N
N
This is fantastic! I agree that you sustain the energy of the piece very well, and I think the voicing is great! I like the choice of tempo.

I agree that you could use more dynamics, e.g. starting softer to build up to the end but also just fluctuating more i.e. getting really soft in some of the melancholy parts of the piece (i.e. those descending scales from G). You might be doing that more than I can hear with the poor sound quality, but definitely bring out those contrasts.

Bravo!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Numerian
Quite spectacular. You play this piece with the requisite passion, which is so hard to sustain through all the technical difficulties. I like the subtleties you present in your tonal balance - the crescendi and decrescendi come across with great effectiveness. Also, the left hand accompaniment has that buzz to it - something of a blur but not too much that you don't understand the notes - which makes this piece quite edgy.

It's one of my favorite Rachmaninoff compositions. This and the Bb prelude are two fantastic bravura pieces.

Thank you for your kind words!! smile
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
Overall, I could follow your musical thought quite clearly, in spite of the "tubby", indistinct sound. Personally, I liked your tempo; it did not sound particularly "rushed" to me. However, I would start out the piece much more quietly, so that you have room to build towards the end -- this piece is all about high drama! I agreed with your lyric contrasting material, while maintaining the tempo, but I think the overarching line could be shaped more, to set up the high drama of the concluding material with more clarity and power. But, in general, a very fine rendition!

This piece reminds me uncannily of Medtner's Skazka Op 34 - 2 -- the same relentless rolling bass, and the looooong minor melodic line floating above. Rachmaninov was said to have held Medtner's compositions in VERY high esteem, and in this case the writing is certainly similar!

Well, the thing is that I can't start below f because Rach marked the beggining with two ff... But I guess that starting a tiny bit less fortissimo could work well.

I don't know that piece! (in fact, I'm only familiar with the Sonata-Reminiscenza). I'll definitely listen to it smile
It sould bring a new light to the piece.
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by nlehrer
This is fantastic! I agree that you sustain the energy of the piece very well, and I think the voicing is great! I like the choice of tempo.

I agree that you could use more dynamics, e.g. starting softer to build up to the end but also just fluctuating more i.e. getting really soft in some of the melancholy parts of the piece (i.e. those descending scales from G). You might be doing that more than I can hear with the poor sound quality, but definitely bring out those contrasts.

Bravo!

I agree with the part where you suggest more pianissimo in the central section... but because it was recorded during a piano reunion, in my former teacher's house, I was somewhat worried about the possibility of the piano being unfit for that kind of dynamic - I chose not to push the pp's too far in order to avoid 'holes', notes that would not sound at all.
And thank you for your sincere words!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission