2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 10 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I want to simply record my playing on a computer from Kawai ES6 via USB to a windows 7 computer.

Computer recognizes the piano as a midi input device, but what can I do now. I opened "sound recorder" but that is recording from a builtin mic somewhere on my laptop (never knew I had one). How do I record the MIDI data with default windows 7 software or do I need a 3rd party program?

Last edited by bajabill; 08/10/12 12:39 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Midi is not 'audio'. Easiest way to record audio is to use line out from the DP to line in or mic on your sound card and use sound recorder. 'Audacity' which is free would be better.

You can record midi signals, is that what you really want?

B
OP Offline
B
Can the piano record basic MIDI to a thumb drive directly? And then play that file back?

I understand now that the computer does not have the piano sound file. Does Audacity enable better "communication" between piano and computer?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Most pianos can record your performance data to internal memory. Some can record MIDI to a thumb drive. Either way, the performance can be played back by the piano. Check your user manual for details.

When spanishbuddha mentioned Audacity, he was referring to its use in recording AUDIO on your computer, not MIDI. To use Audacity, use the Aux Output (or Line Output) connections on your piano and connect them to your computer's line input (if you have such) via a suitable cable. This interface carries the sound, not MIDI. You can use Audacity to digitally record the sound. (You can also use Windows' sound recorder, which is included in Windows. But Audacity has many useful features lacking in the Windows sound recorder. Anyway, Audacity is completely free, so it's the obvious choice.)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Record your playing in the piano's memory and then play it back to your computer using Audacity, this way you can take your time and keep playing the recording over and over until you get a level that works.

You'll probably need a 'Y' plug - two 1/4" male plugs (L+R) going to one male TRS 1/8" which pugs into your computer's 'mic' input.

You play around with the piano's output level and Audacity's input level until you get an acceptable recording level. I just jumped through all those hoops today uploading another recording to my web site.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
OP Offline
B
OK, for another challenge. I want to play a MIDI file thru the ES6. Connected keyboard to computer via USB, computer recgognized keyboard. How do I play/send the MIDI info to the keyboard? Windows 7

M
M
Originally Posted by bajabill
OK, for another challenge. I want to play a MIDI file thru the ES6. Connected keyboard to computer via USB, computer recgognized keyboard. How do I play/send the MIDI info to the keyboard? Windows 7

You need a midi program. As others have said, the easiest way to record your playing is through a direct line. Midi is generally used for music production, when you want to use your keyboard as a controller for say a violin or other array of sounds you have running from a program. It can also be used for composition to plot notes in real time using a program like sibelius or finale.

So you will need to do your research and find a program that will do whatever it is your trying to do with midi. Otherwise simply connect a 1/4 line to a 3/8 connector and input into your pc's soundcard to record.

B
OP Offline
B
wanting to play the DPBSD midi file thru the ES6. I have already recorded music files from the piano to the computer.

M
M
You still need a program to load that midi file into, and you would be using the es6 as a "controller" and playing the file through your computer\sound card\program.

B
OP Offline
B
What are some free midi programs?

I can play the file on my computers, win media player, but need this signal to be sent to the keyboard. Keyboard has use to host only, will this work.

For now, I want the keyboard to generate the sound, not control a computer based sound database.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
OP Offline
B
Red dot does not do this, it does however communicate with my keyboard so this is confirmation that the connection can be made. It only records from the piano, and can save that file. Playback is limited however, to only the latest recorded file. It can not load/import a MIDI file from my computer.

I have been searching a lot and it seems that windows 7 has removed MIDI output control from all simple control interface option boxes. Perhaps it can be controled via registry edits.

There are plenty of MIDI players (gnmidi is one) that will feed MIDI data from your PC into your piano.

B
OP Offline
B
Found anvilstudio and it is working.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission