2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, akse0435, danno858, AlkansBookcase, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 12 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Wow!

It seems that this forum has been infected with the same malady which is common in the Tuner/Tech forum.

Bickering - Sniping - Rudness - Cheap Shots - Diarrhea of the Mouth - One Upmanship - Being an Authority on Everything - Vendettas

Hey Gang - Let's consider using some maners and being more civil.

When you feel the need to tighten the laces on your boxing gloves, take it into a PM sparring ring.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Marty

Now I see why there are so many wars going back in history.

Human beings tend to be aggressive, even on a forum like this.

As Charlie Brown says "Good grief"

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree Marty. I've taken a step back a little bit not posting as much due to that and to the constant blathering, (diarrhea of the mouth-love that one) 12 page long winded useless answers that so many post over you know where along with so many of these same ones having to be right, gets awfully tiring too. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
See what happens when I stop posting regularly! War breaks out. [Linked Image]

BTW, are you referring to certain specific threads?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I say let the opinions fly.

Most of the population of the world has no idea that these issues even exist, let alone that anyone feels passionately or even gives a hoot about this stuff. At least here people can engage.

Imagine, two strangers at a bus stop. One tries to strike up a conversation about the finer points of piano tuning or the superiority of one piano over another...

Keep it here so we don't all end up in the looney bin!

Still I'm with you that there is no need to be a complete jerk about it.

Learner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

BTW, are you referring to certain specific threads?

It has to be that What's in a Name thread. With 124 posts it is the only one long enough to hold much of a fight!

Learner
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Count me in too guys ..... I've also noticed a marked escalation of vacuous garbage and urine extraction!

Just waiting for 50 pages of debate about the use of 10mm Teflon coated corrugated cardboard being used in the design of a electrically heated never going out of tune SteinBechDorfer.

thumb wow

[/i]before anyone takes umbridge ..... this is meant to be tongue in cheek, and not meant in anyway to be offensive wink [i]

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I love it

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I haven't noticed any bickering, rudeness or etc. Of course, I only read the important threads, like this one. cool

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Well, I've certainly limited (read: mostly stopped) my contributions to the forum. Lacking Jerry's wonderful sense of humour, I've actually been shocked by some of the replies made to my innocent bits.

In fact, I'm really grateful for Marty's gracious defence in a couple of instances.

I've noticed that, with the exception of one, semi-professional contributor, the most knowledgeable amongst us are invariably the most civil and tolerant.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I know one thing................................... If you're perfect like some of us are, we never have to worry about being wrong about anything at all cause we "aint!!" ooooo, was I just wrong???

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Only a true piano nerd can get into a heated Forum discussion about piano facts, piano brands, and opinions about piano dealers. I generally just skip to another thread if I think I recognize "diarrhea of the mouth". Unfortunately, I can't do that at long-winded meetings at work! Marty is right, if we expect to get more piano nerd converts, we should keep it civil.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
T
T
Rudeness? AW shut up, the bunch of you!! LOL, Actually I have taken a temporary hiatus from posting due to the fact that I don't know anything else. I've run out of opinions due to my limited knowledge. But, I'll be back, (beware!) I'm always lurking in the shadows.

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Aw come on; you civilized people need to post MORE in order to keep the ratios in check!

Pretty please?

Last edited by malkin; 08/10/12 08:55 PM. Reason: increasing civility factor!

Learner
I’ve always believed there is something to the old saying, guilt by association… who we hang out with says something about us, to a certain extent. All of us here have a few things in common, most importantly a love and appreciation for pianos, music, and the arts. We also have differences among us…

There are some very bight, intelligent and knowledgeable folks here. I have learned so much about pianos (and people smile ) since I have been a member here that sometimes it goes to my head and I think I really know something about pianos (and people); but in reality, I know that I’ve only scratched the surface.

Yes, at times rudeness does occur among members. Yes, sometimes snipping and bickering does occur. I don’t like to see it, but it does happen. I do not think it is necessary for healthy debate. As a moderator, I’ve matured a bit and though I don’t like to see the rudeness and bickering, I know it can be somewhat of a byproduct of debate and argument. Not that I condone rudeness or hatefulness in any way, shape, form or fashion.

Fact is, I’ve gotten my feathers ruffled here a time or two and maybe showed a less polite side of me. It happens to us all. I prefer to show my best side and my best manners. I wrote a song once entitled "you bring out the best in me" smile . I prefer to show by best side all the time. I suppose we all show our true colors from time to time (some more than others smile ).

However, I think most of us here have integrity and can argue and debate without getting nasty.

All in all, the Piano World forums are a great place to hang out… and, guilt by association is not a bad thing on Piano World! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Waddayamean, same malady as the tuner/tech forum? We are civil gentlemen and ladies, compared to the heated rancorous sentiments that are slung around this Piano Forum.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'm on a Pro Audio/sound forum that doesn't allow postings by anyone not using their full name. No handles, nicknames or anonymous posters.

It seems to lessen the hit & run anonymous 20 somethings and other children that imo have turned the social media internet into a nightmare.

I don't know if this would have an effect here but generally people seem more civil and mature (certainly there) when they're not hiding behind some anonymous handle.

Of course what's to stop someone from posting under the name of John Lennon or Igor Stravinsky... wink

Just a thought.

Dave,

Loss of anonymity would indeed reduce drive-by trolling. But you have been here long enough to remember lots of heated threads where the featured players were the long time regulars. smile

just don't argue ridiculously..

easy

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I'm all for lively debate, challenges of someones opinion, correcting errors in posts, etc. What I don't like is the personal nature of attacks. Just keep it about pianos and not about personal attacks and we will all be fine. Lively debate, sure, personal attacks are over the line. Typed communication in general is inferior to face to face conversation because you can't see the non-verbal ques or facial expression. When you write a response your intended tone could be different than you come across just because of the limited nature of the written word as opposed to face to face communication. Keep this in mind when you post, re-read your posts before you actually post them and try to see your post through the other readers eyes. If it's personal - edit, edit, edit until it's not.

Last edited by Pianolance; 08/11/12 09:57 AM.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission