2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 265 of 341 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Knots, I've been implying it for weeks. Dorian mode is VERY important. But do you understand what that translates too? You might think it's just the scale of the tonic. It's a lot more. Listen to Freddie Hubbard's 'Little Sunflower'. Listen to all those chords in the melody. That's what Dorian mode means.

You can run voicings up and down the scale stepwise (diatonically) and they all work. Only works for tunes in Dorian mode. I've been talking about moving voicings around in steps (quickly), like two-handed Maiden Voyage voicings. It's tough to do outside of D Dorian.

You get a small taste of it in the head of So What, but if you listen closely to the voicings during the solo, you'll so that Bill Evans moves around. Again same thing as above.

This means there are some special skills required to pull this off in every Dorian mode (all 12).

And this is just dorian mode. All of these scales imply "colors" in the progression. It affects voicing choices. Yes some scales (modes) are so rare but obvious. For example, do you really need to think of a melodic minor mode when playing Maj7(#5)? (modern voicing thing). No. Just play the #5. Just like there's no need to discuss Lydian dominant as a scale. It just means #11. ALT just means b9/#9/#11/#5. Whole tone just means #11/#5.

If you don't play tunes with these alterations then maybe that's why it's not something you've encountered much. Look at a tune like Along Came Betty (Golson). That sucker is full of Alt Chords. But really it's all just chromatics so not a big deal.

This is why I don't really need to memorize Melodic minor modes. I just need to know what's altered from from the basic scale. It's very important for all improvisers to think in terms of 1-b9-9-#9-3-11-#11-5-b13-13-b7-7 instantaneously in all 12 keys.

This is also why two handed voicings are critical to really getting a handle on where every note is.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I must have not explained myself very well.

I quoted Burton and said I disagree.
Do you agree with his top 10 scales?

Which would be your top 10 scales?

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by knotty
Do people really think Dorian? Ok, maybe on some tunes, like Maiden Voyage, but on standards?

I was responding to this. Maybe I misunderstood. Unless you are dealing with a Dorian tune, then no, thinking in dorian is not important. The advantages of dorian cannot be taken advantage of in one bar.

You're right, it's not that applicable to ii-V-I standards.

But it's true that there aren't that many scales to think about. What I was saying that beyond the 10 that Burton was saying, the rest can be inferred by the underlying chord. Knowledge of the entire scale is unnecessary. I'd say less than 10.

Phyrygian? I need to practice a scale for Lydian dominant and Lydian? Both are just one note difference from an underlying scale.

But of course it is (less than 10) X 12 TONES. So it's still a lot.

What I was saying though was if you just encapsulate every scale in the thought process of what alteration applies, then it's even simpler. And it's easier to think of melodically (non-linear) like with triads and other shapes.

Scales don't clearly show the underlying harmony. For example, a diminished SCALE is actually TWO diminished chords...

Last edited by jazzwee; 08/09/12 11:56 PM.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Well as an example, Softly as in the Morning Sunrise, the | D-7b5 G7b9 | the melody hits the Eb a couple of times. If I just did a blind D-7b5(9)(11) voicing on it, I'd sound off.
Not sure what you mean. There's no Eb played on the Dm7(b5) chord in the tune. Not in the version I have.

Hmmm...Bar 4 of head.

And then look to Stella on A-7b5 (Bb is played), etc.

It's pretty common.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well as an example, Softly as in the Morning Sunrise, the | D-7b5 G7b9 | the melody hits the Eb a couple of times. If I just did a blind D-7b5(9)(11) voicing on it, I'd sound off.
Not sure what you mean. There's no Eb played on the Dm7(b5) chord in the tune. Not in the version I have.

Hmmm...Bar 4 of head.

It's pretty common.

JW, in both these cases the note in question (Eb for Sunrise) is NOT played on the Dm7b5 chord, nor is the Bb played with the Am7b5-- it is played before the bar. In the instances when a note is played in Stella that is not a chord tone (Eb on the Bbmaj chord bar 9 for example) this is just what the real book shows, but doesn't mean that Ebs are good choices on an Bbmaj chord. It's just short hand for people that already know how to handle those things. I think most people may treat the Eb in bar 9 as a suspension.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Hmmm...Bar 4 of head.
It's pretty common.

Bar 4 is a Fm7. At least that's what I play there.
Stella? sorry don't know what you mean, which bar is that?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Scales don't clearly show the underlying harmony. For example, a diminished SCALE is actually TWO diminished chords...

Hmm I don't think that scales should show the underlying harmony. Harmony and scales are two different things.

A chord/scale relationship is about what scale works (sounds sonically solid) with what chord.

Ie: Lydian visavi Ionian on a Maj7.

From a scale I can derive chords . . . maybe we're talking about the same thing but from different angles. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I must have not explained myself very well.
I quoted Burton and said I disagree.
Do you agree with his top 10 scales?
Which would be your top 10 scales?
I like his take on Light (bright) and Dark scales. His concept is like a theoretical Gaffa tape, it holds his (musical) Universe together and it has a Light and a Dark side.

I have to listen again to the lecture, this time more closely.
Get back to you about this.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Good point on light vs dark, that part is kind of interesting. Still, I think his statement should be rephrased.Something like, btw, some of these modes are really not common in Jazz.

>>What I was saying that beyond the 10 that Burton was saying, the rest can be inferred by the underlying chord.
ok, JW, so by this, I assume you agree with Burton's 10 scales that represent 99% of Jazz. And I still disagree.

>>Phyrygian? I need to practice a scale for Lydian dominant and Lydian? Both are just one note difference from an underlying scale.
Here's an interesting concept. What's underlying scale?

I do think that if you are to start playing scales and modes of scales, then you outta actually practice those scales with modes. What Cus is saying. However, I would tell Cus, forget practicing 1/2 of them.

Dorian?
you're right, I contradict myself there. Maiden Voyage is reason enough.

Phrygian?
getting bordeline.

Myx?
Where is that used? Sus chords maybe. What's a good tune for practicing that one.

Locrian. Still have no idea. By the lack of response here, I take it no one else uses it, so that scale can safely be ignored.

Aeolian, same as locrian. Some lose corners maybe.

When you think about it, modes of the major scales are much less exciting than modes of the minor scales.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What are the first 2 measures of Softly?

(warning, can of worms wink )

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Hmmm...Bar 4 of head.
It's pretty common.

Bar 4 is a Fm7. At least that's what I play there.
Stella? sorry don't know what you mean, which bar is that?

I also have a 2-5 in C- bar 4. Are you looking at the verse?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Phrygian? getting bordeline.

Well, we all have to play Corea's la Fiesta occasionally.
Myx?
Where is that used? Sus chords maybe. What's a good tune for practicing that one.

Wherever there's a straight dominant7 chord. There's several examples in the Gary Burton/Steve Swallow book.
Locrian. Still have no idea. By the lack of response here, I take it no one else uses it, so that scale can safely be ignored.
Well if you're an old jazz-rock hack like myself you'd use it. It's great at fast tempos played on a rhodes with heavy distortion or even a mini-moog. Locrian is great for stacking major triads on a pedal bass.
The natural minor is used a lot in Nordic music, also in several ECM productions from the 70's. Check out that tune Vignette from Tales of Another (a Gary Peacock lead trio w Keith and Jack) that I recommended earlier, it's all solos on Natural minor (except one and that's Phrygian).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yes.
First verse:
Cm6 Cm/Eb | Dm7(b5) G7(b9#5) | Cm7 F#7 | Fm7 Bb7 | Cm6 Am7(b5) | Dm7(b5) G7(b9#5) | Cm6 Am7(b5) |
Dm7(b5) G7(b9#5) |
Is what I play.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Phrygian? getting bordeline.

Well, we all have to play Corea's la Fiesta occasionally.
Myx?

Wherever there's a straight dominant7 chord. There's several examples in the Gary Burton/Steve Swallow book.
Well if you're an old jazz-rock hack like myself you'd use it. It's great at fast tempos played on a rhodes with heavy distortion or even a mini-moog. Locrian is great for stacking major triads on a pedal bass.
The natural minor is used a lot in Nordic music, also in several ECM productions from the 70's. Check out that tune Vignette from Tales of Another (a Gary Peacock lead trio w Keith and Jack) that I recommended earlier, it's all solos on Natural minor (except one and that's Phrygian).

Thanks!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Yes.
First verse:
Cm6 Cm/Eb | Dm7(b5) G7(b9#5) | Cm7 F#7 | Fm7 Bb7 | Cm6 Am7(b5) | Dm7(b5) G7(b9#5) | Cm6 Am7(b5) |
Dm7(b5) G7(b9#5) |
Is what I play.

Probably the source of confusion. I've never played the verse myself. Maybe heard it, but I can't say I remember. To me, Softly is associated with Wynton Kelly wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No, I'm confusing it. smile
When I mean the verse I mean the same as W Kelly's head.
Daaa da da da da da da daaa da da da da da da etc

He does do a nice minor bluesy version of it on the Kelly Blue album btw
Which is cool because one could do a bluesy C C Bb Bb | Ab Ab G G bass line to A part of the tune. Or even use the Tadd turnaround.
One reason I love these "old" chestnuts, there's so much one can do with the tune.

Last edited by chrisbell; 08/10/12 10:00 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
smile that's why it's a can of worms, so many ways to look at it. I do love the bluesy version.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You guys play the head of Softly differently but makes no difference. I play it like in the leadsheet. In this case, I just looked at the Colorado Book. Eb IS played on the Downbeat on D-7b5. Whether someone reharmed it or not, the issue is that b9 is played often and there's a whole paragraph in Levine's Jazz Piano Book with the debate.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Hmm I don't think that scales should show the underlying harmony. Harmony and scales are two different things.

A chord/scale relationship is about what scale works (sounds sonically solid) with what chord.

Ie: Lydian visavi Ionian on a Maj7.

From a scale I can derive chords . . . maybe we're talking about the same thing but from different angles. smile

What I am saying is that looked at closely, there are multiple chords in a scale. And needs to be known and judiciously applied. That's why I look at triad shapes. Each triad suggests a different harmony. But you already know that.

So I think of the scale less than I think of the triad harmony in the scale. The scale just prevents one from tripping up and picking wrong notes.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You guys play the head of Softly differently but makes no difference. I play it like in the leadsheet. In this case, I just looked at the Colorado Book. Eb IS played on the Downbeat on D-7b5. Whether someone reharmed it or not, the issue is that b9 is played often and there's a whole paragraph in Levine's Jazz Piano Book with the debate.

I agree with this. 9 or b9 seem totally valid to me. Strictly speaking, 9 is less dissonant, but both seem equally fine.

Page 265 of 341 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission