2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello all,

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my two posts about managing the teaching business and charging full-year tuition. This forum has really been invaluable to me, especially in my recent quest to overhaul my teaching policies and payment system.

I just sent out the new policies document to all my students yesterday (the policies go into effect Sept. 1st). I've made major changes in terms of how I handle cancellations and makeups. The policy is much, much tighter. So we'll see how it goes over.

Incidentally, the first people to encounter the new policy were some new students I interviewed yesterday (well, one student with two parents). The parents seemed to find the policy agreeable.

Thanks again for all your help and support!

piano teacher, composer for film and games
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Clearly the new students will be the ones who have no trouble with this, and just find a good policy another sign of your professionalism. Some of your old students will have no trouble with it, and also see it as a sign of professionalism. But a few will dislike it, and maybe even grumble. Probably the ones who were always difficult.

But well done!

A
A
Hi purepassion~

I wasn't here during your previous posts, but wanted you to know that you're not alone in making policy changes. I'm also getting much more strict on my policy. I've had many teachers encourage me in this; I also belong to the Piano Adventures Club Forum. I've also been concerned about making changes (mine go into effect Sept 1 as well). I already sent out the change from the "per lesson fee" to the annual tuition (with increased tuition). I had 3 people respond a little bit negatively, but guess what? They are the ones who have been the most demanding and unfair towards me. I think it's possible we'll lose some students, but in the long run we will find that we are much happier and running a much more successful studio. I think we'll attract more serious families/students too.

Just wanted to send a word of encouragement as I am going through this same thing! We can do it! smile I'd be glad to share policy ideas, etc, if you want to.

~April

April's Piano Studio
"Where music and imagination meet!"
www.aprilspianostudio.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great well done in putting your terms & conditions into place. This is something I started to do last year and it has really helped me and prevented certain culprits cancelling last minute and turning up late for lessons e.t.c.

I actually think once you bite the bullet and do this people respect you more for it and don't take advantage.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks, April and Samasap. I really appreciate your support. It's been less than a week since I mailed out the policies, and many of my students are on vacation this week. But so far, I've heard from two current students who have agreed to the new policies and two new students who have agreed to them. So far so good.

piano teacher, composer for film and games

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission