2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
I can now tell everyone (as my secret is now out grin) that I have purchased all of my digital pianos (starting with a Casio) sight unseen in this order from first to last:

1) Casio CDP-100
2) Casio PX-130
3) Casio AP-620
4) Kurzweil Mark Pro 3i
5) Roland V-Piano
6) Kawai EP3*

*Note: [Soon to be purchased, in October.]

I didn't keep the Casio CDP-100 very long as I traded it back in towards the purchase of the Casio PX-130. I eventually sold the PX-130 and then purchased the Casio AP-620. The AP-620 had a sustain pedal resonance issue as I traded it back in for a new model, although the new piano exhibits the same issue, unfortunately. I have kept the piano even with the fault. Then I bought the Kurzweil Mark Pro 3i. The Kurzweil had some loose pedal issues and it arrived with minor damage to the fallboard cover's sliding pin (which was bent on the right side) and had come off its track and gouged into the wood of the piano. Was able to pop it back onto its track. Had a technician come out to adjust the loose pedals. It too, was eventually sold. Last, but not least, was able to acquire the Roland V-Piano after putting every available dollar I had into the layaway with Gigasonic as this remains as one of the two digitals I have decided to keep. The only issue has been the scratching/flaking keys as I now await a 2nd key bed exchange (with a new part number) to see if this will correct it. As you can infer, I have had more problems and issues with the keyboards I have owned as opposed to positive experiences, although the V-Piano would be nearly perfect aside from having to get the key tops issue fixed.

The Kawai EP3 is just a little diversion outside of the digitals I have decided are long term keepers, i.e., the Roland V-Piano and the Casio AP-620. The Casio still has its shortcomings with the very strange resonance issue (that happens somewhat infrequently at unexpected times) and is less than best with the length of the decay, as others have mentioned.

The EP3 will be a piano that I can move around from one room to another if desired (as it is lighter than the V-Piano) as it is the portability that is desired as well as the built-in speakers which I wish were just a bit more powerful, so I am going to hook up my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers (with subwoofer) to the EP3 to improve its volume level and bass end.

Here are the speakers I am using (link below) as I also bought a new set of them for the V-Piano, which really brings out the clarity of the high treble range (with a special horn tweeter and midrange in each satellite, at 35 watts each) along with improving the bass end considerably with the 130 watt subwoofer:

http://www.klipsch.com/promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

Klipsch refers to these speakers as "computer" speakers, however, they are far better than your typical cheap and chincy speakers that usually are found with most computer set ups. Again, each satellite has a horn tweeter and midrange cone of exceptional quality, as they bring out all kinds of sounds with great clarity and no distortion. I have already tested them with both the Roland V-Piano and Casio AP-620.

When the Kawai EP3 arrives (in October) then I will be adding the set of Klipsch speakers (from the Casio) over to the Kawai. The V-Piano also has its own set of Klipsch speakers as well. Or, I might just decide to buy another set for the Kawai EP3. The speakers cost $150, making them a very good value.

Don't underestimate the quality that is inherent in the Klipsch speakers as they are worth every penny for the clarity of sound they project. The bass is also excellent as the subwoofer brings out true bass tones you can make out in regards to pitch, not just a "thumping" sound.

And, it really defeats the purpose of these speakers if you buy them just for "cranking up the sound" (with the subwoofer) as this will result in permanent ear damage (i.e., tinnitus, or, ringing in the ears) and may cause others to call the police.

Actually, the Klipsch speakers sound their best at lower to moderate volume levels, especially when you can place the two satellites right on top of the V-Piano (at each end, for example) with the subwoofer placed below.

The subwoofer, when it is set below the bass end keys (to the left side) results in adding vibration to that portion of the keyboard! It is very realistic, since the V-Piano does not have any built-in speakers.

Now, would anyone else want to share their digital piano history?

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
1) Casio PT-80 (with rom pack!) [Linked Image]

V
V
Woo, I'd forgotten about the PT-80

My keyboard/piano history then goes something like this:

Casio PT-80 (I think its in my parents' attic)

Upright piano free from a nursing home

Kawai DX-205 (Home organ thingy with 3 1/2 octaves per manual one octave apart. In my parents' garage, still works, but needs stripping down and cleaning as it makes crackly noises when you try to change the volume (jammed full of dust I expect) This was my main practice machine from 12-18

A Yamaha 5 octave keyboard of some sort not touch sensitive bought more for organ practice at home and singing practice

PX-330

Hauptwerk organ software

Behringer UMX61 - 5 octave MIDI controller

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
My first electronic (as opposed to electric) piano I won't say Digital because it was indeed a analog was the Yamaha CP-11 way way back in the 1980's ... I think my first actual DP (as opposed to a DX7) was a Roland RD1000 which used SA synthesis instead of samples in maybe 1987 or thereabouts.
I think my first electronic keyboard was a 2nd hand minimoog which I got while still at school in the 1970's .... or it could have been a Roland SH I can't actually remember. I do know my first Electric was a Mk 1 Rhodes around the same time.
I would guess I've owned over 500 various keyboard instruments of various types over the years it's a addiction for me.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Can I bring myself to recall it all? Probably forgotten a couple of them.

1. Yamaha five octave thing (YDP? can't remember model)
2. Kurzweil Mk10
3. Kurzweil Mk5
4. Denon DP (can't remember model)
5. Technics (PX thing? can't remember model)
6. Roland RD-600
7. Yamaha P200
8. Yamaha P80
9. Korg SG-Pro-X
10. Roland RD-600 (again)
11. Kawai MP9000
12. Yamaha GranTouch GT2
13. Roland RD-1000
14. Yamaha Clavinova CVP-405
15. Roland V-Piano
16. Roland RD-700GX
17. Roland HP-307
18. Roland FP-7F
19. Nord Piano 88
20. Yamaha GC1 Grand Piano
21. Yamaha AvantGrand N3
22. Yamaha CP33
23. Kawai MP10

Then there's the modules of course.....

Anyway, the only absolute keeper is the RD-1000, which I intend to be buried with.

All those pianos - and still searching for that special something...which I've decided I'm never going to find in a DP. An acoustic piano is calling me......

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Can I bring myself to recall it all? Probably forgotten a couple of them.

1. Yamaha five octave thing (YDP? can't remember model)
2. Kurxweil Mk10
3. Kurzweil Mk5
4. Denon DP (can't remember model)
5. Technics (PX thing? can't remember model)
6. Roland RD-600
7. Yamaha P200
8. Yamaha P80
9. Korg SG-Pro-X
10. Roland RD-600 (again)
11. Kawai MP9000
12. Yamaha GranTouch GT2
13. Roland RD-1000
14. Yamaha Clavinova CVP-405
15. Roland V-Piano
16. Roland RD-700GX
17. Roland HP-307
18. Roland FP-7F
19. Nord Piano 88
20. Yamaha CG1 Grand Piano
21. Yamaha AvantGrand N3
22. Yamaha CP33
23. Kawai MP10

Then there's the modules of course.....

Anyway, the only absolute keeper is the RD-1000, which I intend to be buried with.

All those pianos - and still searching for that special something...which I've decided I'm never going to find in a DP. An acoustic piano is calling me......

Now that's what I call a true love of digitals... as for an acoustic, perhaps a Kawai / Steinway / Yamaha grand could be a good choice?

To own a Kawai "EX" (or, something like it) would simply be the best.

Extra note:

By the way, check out these samples (including a Kawai "EX" concert grand) that Lance Herring has done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smGXooc4iQ

After the 4:30 mark Lance says "and the bass ... it's just huge ... (then strikes a loud clunker ... short pause) ... I can play, right?"

Playing ability aside, the "EX" sounds are really decent! wink

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

You still have that ? That's amazing ....it twas indeed a game changing board.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I get the feeling that this thread was started after they saw this list (below)I posted in another thread. Imitation is the best form of flattery and I feel that I'm somewhat responsible in a good way - thanks. (If it was complete inspiration so be it smile

I've had many DP's.
(Roland MKS-20 module actually was before SG1D)
1st one Korg SG1D
Yamaha P100
Roland FP8
Kurzweil PC88
Yamaha P80
Yamaha P90
Roland FP7
Casio Previa 320
I guess I can include my AvantGrand N2 (home axe)
Roland FP4
(there was also another Korg somewhere in there, although I only had it a week - in the store I really liked it, but when I got it home I hated the action and more than that the fake sound.) Also owned Pianet, nice sound but got tired of not having sustain. I bought it practice w/o amp.

The best thing about my choices is that the last two are my favs.

Last edited by 36251; 08/09/12 10:56 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

Yes, so expressive and dynamic. A love affair that never wanes!

36251 had the only real contemporary competitor - the Korg SG-1D...the debate must have raged back then, just as it does now - sampled (Korg) vs modelled (Roland).

And Richard, I have long admired Lance Herring's work - the Kawai EX sounds fabulous in his videos, as does his academic grand (vintage Steinway D).

Steve

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, so expressive and dynamic. A love affair that never wanes!

36251 had the only real contemporary competitor - the Korg SG-1D...the debate must have raged back then, just as it does now - sampled (Korg) vs modelled (Roland).

And Richard, I have long admired Lance Herring's work - the Kawai EX sounds fabulous in his videos, as does his academic grand (vintage Steinway D).

Steve
I can't remember how the SG1D sounded but I think Korg never matched the sound, quality or action of that DP (taking in consideration the technology of the day.) Back in the day the RD-1000 was too expensive and heavy for me but as you can see I did own the guts of it in the MKS-20.

I bought the Korg SG1D after seeing Kenny Kirkland playing it with Sting. It was big and heavy but at the time I felt I had the same instrument that the pros were using.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hohner Pianet (not really digital but nevertheless)
Roland something (can't remember type)
Korg T1 [happy with that]
Kurzweil K2600XS [happy with that too]
GEM Equinox 88 (what a mistake !)
CME UF8 with piano board (horrible - what was I thinking!!)
Kawai MP6 [pretty happy with the MP, but thinking of trading for another Kawai]

- a bunch of modules (Roland, Kurzweil, EMU)
- some smaller keyboards (Roland A-37, Novation SL 61 MKII, Kurzweil PC361)
- a list of PowerBooks and MacBooks with Logic, Pianoteq, NI Komplete , Korg Synths and others

I am seriously thinking of cross grading to a piano cabinet style instrument for the first time, since I don't gig anymore (small kids - hopefully when they are older there's more time) and I would like to go back to basics and start practicing my classical AP skills again instead of messing around with settings, a zillion sounds , editing and software too much. CA-65 /CS is luring - if I can afford it. Ideal board: best keybed, best AP sound, best EP sound, no additional sounds, no arrangers etc, period. MP10 comes close , but misses 3rd sensor....successor would do.

Question : why the EP3 (older keybed, old HI processing) and not the ES7 ?! Only 0,5 kg heavier, but a large improvement on EP3

Last edited by JFP; 08/09/12 10:56 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I would guess I've owned over 500 various keyboard instruments of various types over the years it's a addiction for me.

Ha! You've probably only paid for about 5 of those 500, though!

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
An acoustic piano is calling me......

Flirting with the dark side . . . .?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
All I can say is....WOW!!

I feel very humble in such company, so I won't even dare to give my DP history. (But you know it already grin).

BTW, my AP history is zilch (the one my parents bought for their offspring doesn't count, though it's still in their home), so at least my DP history is a slight improvement. grin grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
An acoustic piano is calling me......

Flirting with the dark side . . . .?

Yes it's somewhere between flirting and going steady in fact. Or by dark side do you mean V-Piano Grand? wink
The dark side is always more tempting!

Wow what a fun thread. Here's my stupid list in order of 1st to last (stupid because I'm so ashamed of it)

Yamaha DGX-620 (Gift from parents)
Roland HP207 (Sold it after 6 months for a portable option)
Roland RD700GX
Yamaha P-155
Yamaha DGX-630
Yamaha P-155 (yes, I bought it twice)
Casio PX-3
Roland FP7-F (bought it, then returned it after a few days)
Roland RD-700NX (2 month rental)
Kawai CA-X (Had this bad boy for about 4 months, loved it, then hated it)
Roland FP7-F (Sold it after 2 months)
Roland RD700NX (2 month rental)

Now I have a Yamaha upright C-109 (no digital piano, although I am considering a Kawai CA-95). It's relatively new, and I dislike many things about it. Fortunately for me I now live in a place where I can have an acoustic, but nothing bigger than 44inches as I rent a basement apartment...compromise sucks.

Kawai CA-65, AKG K702, M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Pianoteq, VI Labs Ravenscroft
Macbook Pro 15-inch 2010
Mine list is not long ...
Casio 61-key toyish Crapinova, late 1980s
Kawai US-50 upright
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-240

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
1980's Rhodes Suitcase Model (In really poor shape) Not a digital I know but it was 1984!
1990's a clavinova can't remember the model.
Since then:
Kurzweil SP88
M-Audio Prokeys 88 (vomit) bought it to control sound modules
CASIO PX-310
CASIO PX-330 (Still have)
Kurzweil SP4-7 (Still Have)
Yamaha MOX8 (Really liking this one)

I have had a host of other smaller 61 key synths too.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 08/09/12 03:31 PM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hi JFP, & everyone else:

Regarding the Kawai EP3 purchase:

As for why I have selected the Kawai EP3 (and not the ES7) are for matters of price, as the EP3 is going to cost me $1,350 (with the designer stand) when all is done, whereas the ES7 would have cost about $1,250 more when getting the designer stand for it along with the extra triple pedal attachment. The ES7 stand and pedals are sold separately and are quite expensive.

You will see that the ES7 costs almost twice as much as the EP3, and, I don't really need the latest technology as long as it plays well and sounds good, since it is basically replacing the Casio PX-130 that I sold last summer. And, I don't need another Casio since I already own the flagship AP-620. The EP3 should be a solid piano on most accounts.

Also, I am adding in the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers (with subwoofer) to the EP3, which should greatly enhance both the overall volume level and give a decent bass presence to the sounds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission