2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
babydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi all,
I am a brand newbie to this site and have enjoyed the great info.
I am in the process of buying a piano for my five year old. I play at the very basic levels. However, I would like to restart lessons again.
After reading the Larry Fine book and trolling this site for the last couple of months, I thought that maybe I could impose on the forum members and see what their opinions are regarding what I've found so far.
1- a brand new Kawai GE 30. Dealer was very nice. Willing to go down to 14k (taxes and delivery included)
2- a Knabe (5 foot 4) with a syncavision attached. Essentially priced the same approx. I've heard from a couple of different sources that the syncavision is unreliable. However, I've not been able to find much info regarding the validity of such concerns on the web. The hubby loves the gadgetry. We realize that we'd be paying a lot for the technology, but given that the supposed retail price of the syncavision is 16k, this seems like an awesome deal.
3- used Steinways. I've been starting to look at some of these. However, given that there are so many different ones, it's hard to decide. I think I've narrowed it down to the Steinway M. But wasn't sure if I should stick with a rebuilt one that would cost more or an older one that might not look as pretty but sounds about the same. The price range of the Steinways I've been looking at are around 12-15k.
If these topics have been covered elsewhere, I'd love a link to the pages. If not, perhaps I could get some opinions.

M
M
Sync-a-vision really lists for $16K? Isn't it just a PianoDisc system driven by a Mac Mini and LCD monitor built into a custom music rack?

If you plan to do any recording in conjunction with your lessons, you might consider a Yamaha Disklavier, which employs more accurate recording technology and has the benefit of the player system being built in at the factory.

T
T
The Sync-a-Vision system not only offers unsurpassed proprietary technology and content including free entertainment music & videos for karaoke, games,of famous performers & educational instruction content apps for piano lessons, distance learning, recording and sequencing, famous Steinway artist recordings, etc., but surpasses all other competitors with iQ patented technology and over 1,000 levels of playback in dynamic expression. PianoDisc installations are closely supervised and performed to specifications set by PianoDisc by factory trained and certified PianoDisc technicians. Most if not all piano manufacturers honor their own piano warranty with a PianoDisc installation performed by PianoDisc trained piano technicians.

Best of all, The iQ with Sync-a-Vision is lower priced and has a lower MSRP than aforementioned competitor and can be fitted to any number of world-class pianos as well as entry level and medium priced pianos! PianoDisc/Sync-a-Vision Brings Your Piano to Life!

Tom Lagomarsino
EVP Mason & Hamlin - PianoDisc - WNG
toml@pianodisc.com
www.masonhamlin.com
www.pianodisc.com
www.wessellnickelgross.com

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Warning: Direct Marketing Detected

[Linked Image]

Not appropriate in discussion groups

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Doc - Welcome to Piano World!

You have come up with an interesting "One from column A, One from column B, and One from column C," choice list.

People love to trash Steinway here, but of your options, it would certainly be my choice. The model-M is, and always been, a fine choice for the home. However it will have all of the same "ifs" and "depending upons" attached, as will any used piano purchase.

As a very general blanket statement, and sight unseen, I would go for a rebuilt M. If..... Depending upon...

The piano has an excellent scale, piano speak for basic design, and I consider it to be the best of the bunch in the approx. length you are considering. If the rebuild job is recent, you should be able to expect a long, functional life. (There's that "if" thing.)

Marty in Minnesota

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Tom,

The Sync-a-Vision system not only offers unsurpassed proprietary technology and content including free entertainment music & videos for karaoke, games,of famous performers & educational instruction content apps for piano lessons, distance learning, recording and sequencing, famous Steinway artist recordings,

Doesn't PianoDisc own Mason and Hamlin? If so, it's kind of ironic they don't offer famous Mason & Hamlin artist recordings.

Mike

T
T
PianoDisc offers music from the fine roster of Mason & Hamlin Concert Artists of whom have recorded some of the finest and most exciting piano performances to be found on any record label. Artist and performers like Brian Culbertson, Danny Wright, Eric Himy, Elida Dakoli, Cecil Ramirez, Jarrod Radnich, Hugh Sung, and soon to be Ron Tanski just to name a few. Also, PianoDisc does not own Mason & Hamlin. They are separate companies but both owned by the same private party. BTW, famous Steinway artist recordings also sound great on a Mason & Hamlin and vise versa. Tom

Tom Lagomarsino
EVP Mason & Hamlin - PianoDisc - WNG
toml@pianodisc.com
www.masonhamlin.com
www.pianodisc.com
www.wessellnickelgross.com
B
babydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks so very much for the advice.
Went with a Steinway M rebuilt in 2011.
Came w a one year warranty
Can't wait to have it delivered!
Now still considering adding syncavision...
The 5 yr old wants to "decorate" the piano w princess stickers!!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Baby Doc!

You'll certainly enjoy your new piano.

Hint-Hint. We just love to see photos. If you take any of the move-in, even better!

Marty in Minnesota

B
babydoc Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am absolutely tech unsavvy. Will see if the hubby knows how to post a picture. Didn't quite get a picture of the move-in. Was afraid would spook the movers :-) The piano looks smaller than I thought...guess I could have gotten a bigger one. Playing Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious is a hoot on this piano! Even the five year old has been practicing without prompting today....hope the magic lasts.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission