2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
F
Originally Posted by mazurkajoe
Originally Posted by Hakki

Still my situation is less pathetic compared to someone who can play Chopin scherzi, but can't decide which Beethoven sonata to play, because he has only heard one and particularly doesn't like Beethoven.
Though the answer is obvious. He should learn the "Pathetique", which perfectly suits his situation.

made me 'lol'

+1

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days, since I have been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment recently[...]

I am sorry to hear this. I hope things go well.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Still my situation is less pathetic compared to someone who can play Chopin scherzi, but can't decide which Beethoven sonata to play, because he has only heard one and particularly doesn't like Beethoven.
Though the answer is obvious. He should learn the "Pathetique", which perfectly suits his situation.

While a debate on whether modern pianists are standardized or not are being discussed, we get to know that one of those modern pianists has unfortunately lost her life. That thread almost gets a fraction of replies of the above threads. And, yet, I can't think of anybody that would suggest that this is not a great loss since she is one those modern standardized pianists who can easily be replaced.

Imaginary people asking imaginary questions about Mazeppa and when asked to post a recording, replying with an imaginary answer that their piano is out of tune, they can't record etc.

Somebody doubting whether Chopin could play his own etudes, another one who wants to play the first two pages of Rachmaninoff 2nd but doesn't know how to play it with clarity.
Another one who has mastered the first two pages of op.25/11 and asks whether he should learn the whole thing to impress his teenager friends.

It seems as if this forum is being misused by a few as an online game, who's imaginary characters score for the replies they get.
Although I do find some of those or similar threads tiresome, I think one has to realize that many of those kinds of threads are started by students still in high school. Without, I hope, offending that age group, I think it's fair to state one cannot expect the highest degree of musical maturity from an average high school piano student.(Of course, there will be some in that age group who are much more knowledgeable and musically sophisticated than most adults. Same thing in chess... the 2011 8 Under World Awonder Liang from the US plays near master level chess)

So I think adults need to be as tolerant as possible of younger posters but also that some younger posters need to try and be as thoughtful as possible about their threads or posts. And not get too defensive.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/06/12 08:52 PM.
F
F
you do realize you guys are getting trolled, and you are only making it worse by responding to and feeding this troll -- look at all the thread OP and which username do you see the most and have the most replies?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I once tried to only read the threads that mark c hadnt posted in ( so as to avoid him arguing with me) but for some reason that left me without any threads to read.

I then tried to read only the threads that stores hadnt posted in, again, that left me with no threads to read.

I then looked for threads where only stores or mark c had posted in but again that only left nondescript threads.

I then looked for threads where Both stores and mark c had posted and found my playground.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
I "argued" with you?

As I remember, I replied a couple of times, and pretty immediately realized it wasn't worth bothering.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by fuzzy8balls
you do realize you guys are getting trolled, and you are only making it worse by responding to and feeding this troll -- look at all the thread OP and which username do you see the most and have the most replies?

At least one (if not more) of those banned members must be laughing.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by fuzzy8balls

Any chance you could provide a clue to this clueless old man? We like our trolls mean and lean, not overfed. grin

M
M
I find that some people here are way too disdainful, boring and have their heads far up their own ass. I pity them. And yes, I want to impress my teenage friends - I am a teenager after all - but I also have a love for the piano, though probably not as intensely as other people on these forums. I thought this could be a nice place to share my interest in the piano, but perhaps I was mistaken.

Some people need to get a grip and stop deluding their pretentious, arrogant selves with their pseudo-superior status. You are not above the rest of us.

Music is freedom and emotion; Music is love, sadness and hope. Chill out and stop taking everything so seriously, that is not what music is about.

Rant over.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

So I think adults need to be as tolerant as possible of younger posters but also that some younger posters need to try and be as thoughtful as possible about their threads or posts. And not get too defensive.

thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Originally Posted by Munex
I find that some people here are way too disdainful, boring and have their heads far up their own ass.

Perfect Start thumb

I pity them. And yes, I want to impress my teenage friends - I am a teenager after all - but I also have a love for the piano, though probably not as intensely as other people on these forums. I thought this could be a nice place to share my interest in the piano, but perhaps I was mistaken.

If you really do have a love for the piano and the piano literature, you would be wise in waiting to attempt a piece that's way above you. It's not about you or impressing your friends, it's about the music. That's not the only issue, but it's a fact that attempting such a difficult piece without proper instruction can will lead to injury. But this is a topic for another time.

Some people need to get a grip and stop deluding their pretentious, arrogant selves with their pseudo-superior status. You are not above the rest of us. Music is freedom and emotion; Music is love, sadness and hope. Chill out and stop taking everything so seriously, that is not what music is about.

whistle

Last edited by ScriabinAddict; 08/06/12 08:26 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What many here appear not to understand is that the young, the jejeune, the marginal, the ungifted can be blessed or cursed with all the passion, the intensity, the desire of the greatest virtuoso. That is the tragedy, and the dignity. A little respect for the rest of us please.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days, since I have been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment recently

I'm sorry to hear this--I had this problem as well, along with tendinitis. For me the ultimate solution was Taubman piano lessons, but physical therapy or other treatment may also help.

Feel free to ignore the following unsolicited advice. From your videos, your technique looks good to my (inexpert) eyes, but the one thing that occurred to me is that you might try sitting a bit lower, to help avoid dropping wrists. I absolutely could be wrong about this, though. A better idea would be to get a consultation from the Taubman/Golandsky faculty. Sometimes a small change in what you're doing can make a big difference.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

1989 Baldwin R
Originally Posted by jdw
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days, since I have been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment recently

I'm sorry to hear this--I had this problem as well....

I did too.

It was when I came back to working intensively on piano after some years away from it. I figured it was something about how I was playing [Linked Image] ....I mean not just how much I was playing. smile

And it wasn't hard to figure out what it was (with my teacher's help). It seemed to be something about a particular position I was putting my hand in (it was just one hand), and a couple of particular pieces were bringing out, and certain passages. I made sure I avoided doing that, which also meant changing some fingerings -- and I got better.

Oh -- I also wore a wrist brace at night for a few months. whome

I don't mean to say that everybody's ulnar nerve entrapment (or carpal tunnel syndrome, or whatever hand problem) is that simple. But I'd bet a lot of people's hand/arm problems that are treated with physical therapy and/or medications and maybe even with surgery could be taken care of more simply -- and more meaningfully -- by looking for this kind of thing, whether we're talking about piano keyboard or computer keyboard, or any other kind of repetitive manual activity. The input you gave Hakki is a good example of how to start approaching it, although I think it's hard to be able to be that specific from afar.

I wouldn't be that quick to advise seeing a Taubman person, because from what I've gathered, all too often they tend to be a "one-note-Johnny" -- they feel the answer to everything is just to adopt the Taubman method. That might well work, but not as directly as just looking at what specific thing it might be about what the person is doing. It might not need a total overhaul of how he plays -- which is what I think the Taubman person would usually try to have him do.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days, since I have been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment recently, and yet I have to play in a major amateur competition next month.

I'm very sorry to hear this, Hakki, and I understand your frustration. I've been in physio since January for an ulnar nerve traction injury and of course it happened when I was preparing for an important piano pedagogy exam. My poor husband has been dealing with an extremely cranky wife!

I hope you are receiving treatment for your condition.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days ...

I'm very sorry to hear of your injury. I know it means nothing coming from a stranger, especially through such a medium, but I *do* hope you recover with all due haste. I understand your frustration with this forum and can only wish it diminishes for you, though I equally understand how unlikely that is. All I can suggest is the notion that different peoples and persons have different priorities; I'm sure none meant to upset you by them...I mean, in theory I suppose some might, and you might have reason to quarrel against someone ruining something you clearly hold great stock, if not comfort, in, however for the most part all I can see is various people searching for answers to questions they can't, for some, I agree, due to poor planning or likewise frivolous reasoning, realise by themselves. But...um, I've tried my hardest here to make you see things from my point of view, though it may very well be wrong. I'm sorry you've become upset. You have a pleasing use of rhetoric, I'm sure you're aware.
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I "argued" with you?

As I remember, I replied a couple of times, and pretty immediately realized it wasn't worth bothering.

It must have been worth bothering Mark, because you have just "bothered" again. lol.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
H
Hakki Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

thumb thumb thumb thumb thumb

Excellent advice. But, for now I think, I'll better use the iggy button with those teenager online gamers, at least until I am able to keep up with this advice.

And thanks to all who have expressed kind wishes and considerations about my injury.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Mark_C
It might not need a total overhaul of how he plays.

I agree, I was thinking of problem solving and not major overhaul. My impression of Golandsky has been different from yours, in that I see flexibility and attention to individual needs. I know they've worked with some active performers who can't take time out for revamping.

Of course, they think Taubman approach is best, and that's why they teach it. But they don't insist everyone needs total retraining; I've heard them say that some people develop a healthy technique naturally. I suggested them because they have such a huge fund of knowledge about the ergonomics of piano playing. I don't know enough to say what they would usually recommend; I think it would depend on the situation.

But of course, as you say, some problems can be solved in other ways. And I absolutely agree with you that adjustments to technique can avert a lot of injury.

1989 Baldwin R
Originally Posted by jdw
....My impression of Golandsky has been different from yours, in that I see flexibility and attention to individual needs....

My impression also -- and I should have been clearer that I wasn't particularly talking about her. From what I've heard (from a couple of friends who happen to have worked closely with her), she seems to be an exception among Taubmanites.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission