2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Please don't. (just erased a rather lengthy reply here)

It's flattering that you were interested to spend the time on all that. ha

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by evilpacman18

I mean I just posted a topic about iTunes organization that had nothing to do with the section I posted it in, really, but I felt like I was in the right when someone came in the thread just to ask me how it relates to playing the piano at all. Call me an iconoclast.

There used to be a forum here at PW for off-topic discussions; it was closed down. If this forum is inundated with enough off-topic threads, maybe it will get shut down, too.

Entropy does seem to be more noticeable here recently. PW needs to do its part in contributing to the heat death of the universe, I suppose.

Originally Posted by wr
....Entropy does seem to be more noticeable here recently....

I don't agree. At least I haven't noticed it.

Anyway "noticed entropy" would be a hard thing to measure. grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Entropy does seem to be more noticeable here recently. PW needs to do its part in contributing to the heat death of the universe, I suppose.
Maybe PW has entered the Degenerate Era.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Only ten to the 50th power more years then until we're inundated with black holes.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Hakki, this seems rather bitchy of you.

Wasn't expecting that! lol

E
E
Worrying about the pianist corner sub-forum of pianoworld.com shutting down because of a perceived degradation of quality in posting is just slightly inane.

But I'm the arbiter of deconstruction, maybe that's just what I want you to believe. Maybe I just want to be the joker to your batman, the Satie to your Debussy, the C.P.E. to your J.S.

Last edited by evilpacman18; 08/06/12 01:26 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Only ten to the 50th power more years then until we're inundated with black holes.
Heh. Given how huge the PWverse will be by then, "inundated" is hardly the word I would use.

Sheeesh, I just ruined my own bad joke.

But seriously, do you think protons decay?

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
E
E
I'm kind of in a weird mood. It's monday and I have to get back to being productive after playing Halo and watching movies all weekend while I was not practicing so my wrist could heal.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Janus K. Sachs
Heh. Given how huge the PWverse will be by then, "inundated" is hardly the word I would use.

No experimental evidence yet, but if any of the GUT's are actually proven to be true (hopefully), it has to exist, depressing as that might be.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

No experimental evidence yet, but if any of the GUT's are actually proven to be true (hopefully), it has to exist, depressing as that might be.
Certainly depressing, but the alternative -- turning into a form of iron -- isn't exactly a picnic.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
H
Hakki Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days, since I have been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment recently, and yet I have to play in a major amateur competition next month.

Still my situation is less pathetic compared to someone who can play Chopin scherzi, but can't decide which Beethoven sonata to play, because he has only heard one and particularly doesn't like Beethoven.
Though the answer is obvious. He should learn the "Pathetique", which perfectly suits his situation.

While a debate on whether modern pianists are standardized or not are being discussed, we get to know that one of those modern pianists has unfortunately lost her life. That thread almost gets a fraction of replies of the above threads. And, yet, I can't think of anybody that would suggest that this is not a great loss since she is one those modern standardized pianists who can easily be replaced.

Imaginary people asking imaginary questions about Mazeppa and when asked to post a recording, replying with an imaginary answer that their piano is out of tune, they can't record etc.

Somebody doubting whether Chopin could play his own etudes, another one who wants to play the first two pages of Rachmaninoff 2nd but doesn't know how to play it with clarity.
Another one who has mastered the first two pages of op.25/11 and asks whether he should learn the whole thing to impress his teenager friends.

It seems as if this forum is being misused by a few as an online game, who's imaginary characters score for the replies they get.

I for one do not want to get involved in this,
and feel upset seeing some of our beloved real members being deceived.

E
E
Since my post count is in the 60's, maybe I shouldn't talk, but from my previous forum experience, I think it's safe to say that any forum will have the people who are around to stay, who have ridiculous post counts or are working on it, who perpetuate useful and interesting conversation, and improve the quality of this forum. Then there's gonna be the people whose join date is some time yesterday, making topics without reading the site ToS, asking asinine questions that common sense can answer, and then never posting again. It happens with every forum. It's just a sign that this place is growing, probably. There's still enough good topics to go around, and if you have to swim through a few topics like "help me read this measure in my poorly printed score," or "help me find the sheet music for some Elegy by some composer," well that's the internet.

I guess I fall into the middle of those two groups. I mean the first thing I posted on this forum was a thread about the Revolutionary Etude and I never read the ToS. But I'm sticking around and participating laugh

F
F
I am sorry about what you have been diagnosed with.. But don't attack the person posted the thread about which Beethoven sonata to choose and call it pathetic. This makes me think that you are wrong about your situation, I think that your situation is way more pathetic. Actually the most pathetic thing with your situation is that you don't know what situation you are in. I am sorry, but don't dare call people who wants some help for pathetic.
Originally Posted by Hakki
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days, since I have been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment recently, and yet I have to play in a major amateur competition next month.

Still my situation is less pathetic compared to someone who can play Chopin scherzi, but can't decide which Beethoven sonata to play, because he has only heard one and particularly doesn't like Beethoven.
Though the answer is obvious. He should learn the "Pathetique", which perfectly suits his situation.

While a debate on whether modern pianists are standardized or not are being discussed, we get to know that one of those modern pianists has unfortunately lost her life. That thread almost gets a fraction of replies of the above threads. And, yet, I can't think of anybody that would suggest that this is not a great loss since she is one those modern standardized pianists who can easily be replaced.

Imaginary people asking imaginary questions about Mazeppa and when asked to post a recording, replying with an imaginary answer that their piano is out of tune, they can't record etc.

Somebody doubting whether Chopin could play his own etudes, another one who wants to play the first two pages of Rachmaninoff 2nd but doesn't know how to play it with clarity.
Another one who has mastered the first two pages of op.25/11 and asks whether he should learn the whole thing to impress his teenager friends.

It seems as if this forum is being misused by a few as an online game, who's imaginary characters score for the replies they get.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Certainly depressing, but the alternative -- turning into a form of iron -- isn't exactly a picnic.

That's certainly true! I think the most likely end result of proton decay experiments will just be that protons don’t decay at any rate one can ever hope to observe. If so, these experiments won’t tell you anything about high energies, other than that baryon number stays conserved. If proton decay is observed, that would be obviously be extremely interesting--another piece of the puzzle!

....Then there's gonna be the people whose join date is some time yesterday, making topics without reading the site ToS, asking asinine questions that common sense can answer, and then never posting again....

Actually that doesn't happen much here, I don't think. The main different kind of thing that newbies do is that they find very old threads and post on them, without realizing exactly what they're doing. Some members frown on it; I think it's great. It shows us what kinds of things outsiders might search for on our site, which is of interest, and I enjoy seeing what comes up from those archeological digs. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

That's certainly true! I think the most likely end result of proton decay experiments will just be that protons don’t decay at any rate one can ever hope to observe. If so, these experiments won’t tell you anything about high energies, other than that baryon number stays conserved. If proton decay is observed, that would be obviously be extremely interesting--another piece of the puzzle!
I suppose one can build Deep Thought to watch for proton decay over millions of years. Hey, observing proton decay would be more interesting than 42.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Sie bleiben wie alle.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Ok, I might be a bit intolerant these days, since I have been diagnosed with ulnar nerve entrapment recently.
I am so sorry to hear this and hope you recover completely and soon.
Still my situation is less pathetic compared to someone who... can't decide which Beethoven sonata to play, because he has only heard one and particularly doesn't like Beethoven...Imaginary people asking imaginary questions... doubting whether Chopin could play his own etudes, ...
Topics like these do become tiresome.

Take heart, Hakki. Because this forum is open to everyone, there will always be uninteresting topics and outright garbage to sort through. Just remember, there are plenty of us who are looking for greater depth in the topics and discussions. We find it by being discriminating about whom we read and where we post.

From my point of view, things have indeed gotten mostly dull in the last few years and we've lost some scholarly members. I've been noticing that the members who offer the most valuable contributions seem to post less and less and there seems to be more "going nowhere", "I'm posting because I like to hear myself talk even though I have nothing to say", and "It's all about me", chatter. Often the first thing I look for is which members have posted in a given topic. This seems to weed out most of what I consider to be trash.

Get well.

Best regards,

Deborah
E
E
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....Then there's gonna be the people whose join date is some time yesterday, making topics without reading the site ToS, asking asinine questions that common sense can answer, and then never posting again....

Actually that doesn't happen much here, I don't think. The main different kind of thing that newbies do is that they find very old threads and post on them, without realizing exactly what they're doing. Some members frown on it; I think it's great. It shows us what kinds of things outsiders might search for on our site, which is of interest, and I enjoy seeing what comes up from those archeological digs. smile

Thread necromancy is always entertaining.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

made me 'lol'

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission