2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Originally Posted by Derulux
Originally Posted by babama
This thread is an interesting read.

It's slightly off topic but I recently watched this interview with Horowitz who briefly talks about Chopin and Liszt and what they would sound like on record (after a joke about his nose). laugh

Starts around 8:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4OJoAI5d5Y

Excellent comment: "Everything is invented ... nobody knows what is right and what is wrong, because it's conception." smile
I like the surreptitious "Don't like staying in America".

HAHA YES! As long as it wasn't going in the paper, it was okay to say, right? laugh I think he was trying to make a joke, because most of his interview was sprinkled with charm and small jokes, but one never knows..

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
S
S
I'm not sure what the value of any living person's thinking is supposed to be in this case, but contemporary accounts describe Chopin's playing as extremely soft. I don't recall having read anything about his virtuosity at the keyboard, but he certainly did not have the "virtuoso aura" that Liszt had.

L
L
Originally Posted by stores
Liszt and Chopin's technique wouldn't stand up to today's instruments and conservatory kids (and many before conservatory age) now possess technique that would run circles around not only Liszt and Chopin, but anyone they'd have been familiar with. This is not a knock against Franz, or Fred, nor is it blasphemy... it's just a simple fact.

Since we obviously have no recordings of Liszt, how can you be certain that Liszt's technique was inferior to that of modern conservatory students? What if Liszt's technique could rival (or surpass) that of Horowitz, Hofmann, Rachmaninov, or Hamelin? We do have recordings of Rosenthal, and his technique could rival Hofmann or Rachmaninov. Isn't it possible that Liszt the teacher had at least as good- if not better- technique than Rosenthal?

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LaReginadellaNotte
....how can you be certain that Liszt's technique was inferior to that of modern conservatory students?....

I agree. In fact, if anything I think most likely it was at least as good as almost anyone who has since lived, with few if any exceptions. He essentially invented piano virtuosity as we think of it today, and from anything we know, he had everything: great fingers, great musical and pianistic instincts, a sense of the keyboard like the proverbial back of one's hand, and a genius musical mind to boot. I think that's almost impossible to beat, and almost as hard to equal. I certainly believe there are more people nowadays with superb techniques than there were then, but are today's people better than the very best of Liszt's time, especially Liszt himself? I doubt it. To me, it's like saying that today's young physicists are smarter about relativity than Einstein was. They know more, because we've learned more since then. But are they smarter about relativity?

(I know, I'm asking for it -- look for our resident physicists to chime in that indeed they are.) ha

....We do have recordings of Rosenthal, and his technique could rival Hofmann or Rachmaninov. Isn't it possible that Liszt the teacher had at least as good- if not better- technique than Rosenthal?

Great way to look at it. And I think you're understating it; I think most piano historians would say it's absurd to doubt that Liszt's technique was superior to Rosenthal's, and in fact of a different echelon. And that's no slam on Rosenthal.

To some extent this depends (again) on what we mean by technique. If we mean just how fast someone can play whatever and play it accurately, then yeah, I suppose lots of modern pianists have been as good as Liszt and maybe better. But that's not what we mean, is it? smile

Last edited by Mark_C; 08/05/12 12:06 AM.
L
L
I definitely concur, Mark. Clara Schumann even said that Liszt wasn't just a bravura player; he was also capable of an infinite variety of color. (That description is equally applicable to Horowitz.)

Even in terms of purely mechanical ability, I find it hard to believe that Liszt was vastly inferior to modern conservatory pupils. The average conservatory student is certainly not capable of the manual dexterity that was displayed by someone like Josef Lhévinne (just listen to his "Double Thirds" Etude).

Last edited by LaReginadellaNotte; 08/05/12 01:14 AM.

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
Originally Posted by LaReginadellaNotte
.....The average conservatory student is certainly not capable of the manual dexterity that was displayed by someone like Josef Lhévinne (just listen to his "Double Thirds" Etude).

I think an even better example for what we're talking about (regarding Chopin as well as Liszt, even though this is about Lhevinne) grin ....is Lhevinne's recordings of the Schulz-Evler Blue Danube. I think everything I'm going to be saying here about Lhevinne applies as much for Chopin, and even more for Liszt.

I've heard pianists play the piece with what we might call "perfect" technique. (BTW I've played it myself, but without perfect technique.) ha
Perfect technique -- great tempo, perfect accuracy, fine musicianship, really doing everything right. But I've never heard anyone play with an overall technique approaching what Lhevinne did. Real good, yes. I'd even say terrific. But not approaching what Lhevinne did.

A lot of this, again, is about what we mean by technique. Sometimes people say that we who say things like this are defining technique down, we're pooh-poohing great mechanism. We're not. We're defining it up. Yes, it includes the ability to 'play fast' and to be accurate, and to be able to handle all kinds of pianistic challenges. But it also includes being able to make the keyboard sparkle and leap and come alive in every way imaginable, and some that aren't.

Lhevinne gets an A+++. Horowitz gets an A+++. I have to believe Liszt did too. Not that many others have.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C
....is Lhevinne's recordings of the Schulz-Evler Blue Danube.

That is a classic, never to be surpassed. Talk about playing from the 'golden era'.

Lhevinne made his New York debut with the Rubinstein 5th concerto, and if anyone could pull together such a sprawling, ball-busting concerto, it would be Lhevinne. Just imagine...

Jason
P
P
Back to the discussion about Chopin... I think it is important to bear in mind that Chopin was never 'taught' the piano as such. He was first introduced to the piano at the age of 4 by his mother and he was noted to be able to play pieces of reasonable difficulty by the age of six, however we don't know the extent of 'reasonable difficulty'. At this point he began taking 'lessons' with his father's friend, a music teacher called Wojciech Zywny whose shortcoming's as a teacher were more beneficial to Chopin than anything else. Recognising that he couldn't really teach Chopin anything more about the conventional piano technique he decided simply to work through the works of earlier composers (Bach, Chopin, Haydn and Hummel mostly; he didn't like Beethoven's music) and so Chopin was left to develop his own technique entirely placing whichever finger he wanted on the notes and moving his hand in any way he wanted...
On 24th February 1818 (at the age of either 7 or 8 depending on which of his two given birthdays is correct) he took place in a concert for the Warsaw Benevolent Society in which he performed a concerto by Czech composer Adalbert Gyrowetz, indicating that his technique by this point was very advanced. After this concert, his fame spread very quickly through Warsaw and he became haled as the greatest pianist in the city; he was summoned to Belvedere Palace to play for Grand Duke Constantine. Chopin completed lessons with Zywny in 1821 or 1822, as the latter knew that there was absolutely nothing more that he could do to help the young pianist.
Based on his earlier published compositions (and reviews of their performances), it cannot be denied that he was an incredible pianist with astonishing technique... His Variations on La ci darem la mano (Op. 2) are incredibly challenging and the audience was obviously pleased with this work, as Chopin wrote in a letter to his parents: "everyone clapped so loudly after each variation that I had difficulty hearing the orchestral tutti". From the age of about 22, we see that Chopin started to lose interest in the 'stile brillante' and
his compositions generally were not as technically challenging from this point onward.
It is unfair to say that Chopin had poor technique based on unfavourable reviews from the time... many critics were overly negative about his playing as it did not necessarily fit in with the bombastic Lisztian octaves which seemed to transcend the repertoire of the virtuoso pianist of the day; Chopin was a poet of the piano who strove to make the piano sing, whereas Liszt simply played the instrument percussively and supposedly often worked his way through two or more pianos per concert as strings broke during his performances.
As for the Erards and Pleyels of Chopin's time, I have played on both and am in possession of an Erard concert grand from this period. The action is very different to that of today, and we must remember that prior to 1841 Chopin was also playing on the single escapement action which is completely alien to us today and which most pianists would take some time to adapt to. In many ways, the pianos then were more difficult to play than the pianos today (that makes sense, as piano makers wouldn't go out of their way to make instruments MORE difficult to play but would actually do the opposite...) so I'm not so sure that Chopin and Liszt would have great difficulty adapting to modern pianos... It is also said that Chopin chose Pleyel pianos over Erard, because on an Erard everything came 'too easily' to his fingertips and he preferred to have to work harder to produce the tone he truly wanted, which would be elicited from the Pleyel but not entirely from the Erard.
All in all, we can not know entirely how good Chopin's technique was, but it is undeniable that it was truly brilliant and that he too would have been capable of playing works much more difficult than even the most difficult of his own (the 24 Etudes played as a set, the two concerti, the allegro de concert). My following point does not apply as much to Chopin as to Liszt, as Chopin was more famous for his compositions than his performances (largely/entirely due to the fact that he performed so rarely in public), but I think it is unfair to say that most conservatoire graduates have a technique which would trounce that of Liszt/Chopin. We must remember that Liszt in particular was a world famous virtuoso pianist and was undoubtedly one of the greatest pianists (technically) alive in his day, if not THE greatest and so a technique like that would still far surpass that of the vast majority of conservatoire graduates around the world today. It is true that the development of the piano has allowed for more technical aspects of piano playing to be improved, however the worlds best of 1850 would surpass almost all of the world today.
Perhaps it would be fair to say that if the greatest technical wizard of today was to go head to head in competition with Liszt on an Erard from the 1840s or 1850s, it would most probably be Liszt that would come out victorious.

P
P
If they went head to head on a modern Steinway... who knows... with time to adapt, I don't think Liszt would be 'outclassed'.

Last edited by piette; 08/05/12 07:01 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piette
Back to the discussion about Chopin... I think it is important to bear in mind that Chopin was never 'taught' the piano as such. He was first introduced to the piano at the age of 4 by his mother and he was noted to be able to play pieces of reasonable difficulty by the age of six, however we don't know the extent of 'reasonable difficulty'. At this point he began taking 'lessons' with his father's friend, a music teacher called Wojciech Zywny whose shortcoming's as a teacher were more beneficial to Chopin than anything else. Recognising that he couldn't really teach Chopin anything more about the conventional piano technique he decided simply to work through the works of earlier composers (Bach, Chopin, Haydn and Hummel mostly; he didn't like Beethoven's music) and so Chopin was left to develop his own technique entirely placing whichever finger he wanted on the notes and moving his hand in any way he wanted...
On 24th February 1818 (at the age of either 7 or 8 depending on which of his two given birthdays is correct) he took place in a concert for the Warsaw Benevolent Society in which he performed a concerto by Czech composer Adalbert Gyrowetz, indicating that his technique by this point was very advanced. After this concert, his fame spread very quickly through Warsaw and he became haled as the greatest pianist in the city; he was summoned to Belvedere Palace to play for Grand Duke Constantine. Chopin completed lessons with Zywny in 1821 or 1822, as the latter knew that there was absolutely nothing more that he could do to help the young pianist.
Based on his earlier published compositions (and reviews of their performances), it cannot be denied that he was an incredible pianist with astonishing technique... His Variations on La ci darem la mano (Op. 2) are incredibly challenging and the audience was obviously pleased with this work, as Chopin wrote in a letter to his parents: "everyone clapped so loudly after each variation that I had difficulty hearing the orchestral tutti". From the age of about 22, we see that Chopin started to lose interest in the 'stile brillante' and
his compositions generally were not as technically challenging from this point onward.
It is unfair to say that Chopin had poor technique based on unfavourable reviews from the time... many critics were overly negative about his playing as it did not necessarily fit in with the bombastic Lisztian octaves which seemed to transcend the repertoire of the virtuoso pianist of the day; Chopin was a poet of the piano who strove to make the piano sing, whereas Liszt simply played the instrument percussively and supposedly often worked his way through two or more pianos per concert as strings broke during his performances.
As for the Erards and Pleyels of Chopin's time, I have played on both and am in possession of an Erard concert grand from this period. The action is very different to that of today, and we must remember that prior to 1841 Chopin was also playing on the single escapement action which is completely alien to us today and which most pianists would take some time to adapt to. In many ways, the pianos then were more difficult to play than the pianos today (that makes sense, as piano makers wouldn't go out of their way to make instruments MORE difficult to play but would actually do the opposite...) so I'm not so sure that Chopin and Liszt would have great difficulty adapting to modern pianos... It is also said that Chopin chose Pleyel pianos over Erard, because on an Erard everything came 'too easily' to his fingertips and he preferred to have to work harder to produce the tone he truly wanted, which would be elicited from the Pleyel but not entirely from the Erard.
All in all, we can not know entirely how good Chopin's technique was, but it is undeniable that it was truly brilliant and that he too would have been capable of playing works much more difficult than even the most difficult of his own (the 24 Etudes played as a set, the two concerti, the allegro de concert). My following point does not apply as much to Chopin as to Liszt, as Chopin was more famous for his compositions than his performances (largely/entirely due to the fact that he performed so rarely in public), but I think it is unfair to say that most conservatoire graduates have a technique which would trounce that of Liszt/Chopin. We must remember that Liszt in particular was a world famous virtuoso pianist and was undoubtedly one of the greatest pianists (technically) alive in his day, if not THE greatest and so a technique like that would still far surpass that of the vast majority of conservatoire graduates around the world today. It is true that the development of the piano has allowed for more technical aspects of piano playing to be improved, however the worlds best of 1850 would surpass almost all of the world today.
Perhaps it would be fair to say that if the greatest technical wizard of today was to go head to head in competition with Liszt on an Erard from the 1840s or 1850s, it would most probably be Liszt that would come out victorious.

With much of what you've said here I am willing to bet good money that you DON'T own a period Erard.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

P
P
With much of what you've said here I am willing to bet good money that you DON'T own a period Erard.

I do, actually. I have nothing to gain by trying to convince you that I do however, so I won't bother.

It is undeniable that the instruments of Chopin's time are very different today... Many modern pianists would find playing them to be completely alien to what they are used to. Whilst a clarity of sound is easier on a period instrument, many other things can be achieved more easily on a modern piano. Whilst older pianos may have a lighter touch, that doesn't make them easier to play on. I don't see what your point is.

Last edited by piette; 08/05/12 07:43 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why would Liszt and Chopin have a difficult time keeping up with conservatory students of today? Why would pianists like Yuja Wang, for example, blow them off the stage? The piano itself is vastly different. While it's true that the piano Liszt knew was one that began to resemble our modern piano closely they were still no match for the instruments we play now. Anyone putting forth ideas stating otherwise simply don't know what they're talking about. It's as simple as that. In addition, the repertoire (and as an obvious result the technique required) has developed WITH the piano and because of it in many cases (just as with Beethoven, for example). The conservatory student is that much further ahead because of Schoenberg, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, Ligeti, Barber, etc., etc. Ask many professors (many of whom are concert artists themselves) where they stand in relation to their students technically. Liszt, and Chopin, wouldn't "wow" anyone with their technique today. There are simply too many 9 year olds running circles around Czerny, Hanon, Plaidy and the likes for anyone who listens to many pianists to be overly impressed with but the most refined technical skill. I'm not dumping on Franz and Freddy, but some of you need to pull your collective heads out of the drool box and realise that the piano world has moved on considerably since those boys ruled things.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I do, actually. I have nothing to gain by trying to convince you that I do however, so I won't bother.

It is undeniable that the instruments of Chopin's time are very different today... Many modern pianists would find playing them to be completely alien to what they are used to. Whilst a clarity of sound is easier on a period instrument, many other things can be achieved more easily on a modern piano. Whilst older pianos may have a lighter touch, that doesn't make them easier to play on. I don't see what your point is.

I didn't think you'd see the point, which is part of my point. You're right, you have nothing to gain by trying to convince me, so don't bother. I'm not looking to be convinced.

♪ ≠ $

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Stores actually he does xD I've seen pics of it on his Facebook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeB
Stores actually he does xD I've seen pics of it on his Facebook

Good for him. He should learn a thing or two about it then and other pianos of the eras about which he speaks, because he quite simply doesn't know what he's talking about.

♪ ≠ $

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ouch. I'm not getting into this discussion.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ouch. I'm not getting into this discussion.

P
P
I know perfectly well what I am talking about. What you perhaps don't realise is that the pianos which I am mainly referring to are earlier pianos with the single escapement action which feel very different to a modern Steinway D and are also more difficult to control!!
I understand that Erard's from around 1850 onwards become very similar to modern pianos (my own Erard dates to 1851) however, I am referring to earlier pianos which were played by Chopin such as the 1830's Pleyels. John Rink, a leading Chopin scholar, owns an 1842 French Erard which is very similar to the Pleyels which Chopin favoured and played frequently and both he and I (along with many other pianist and musicians) find these earlier instruments more difficult to control. This is the point I was trying to make - that the early Erard and Pleyel grand pianos are more difficult to control than modern pianos.
Smaller Pleyel uprights from this period are not as difficult to control and in Prof. Rink's opinion, are "the most malleable in terms of a Chopin-like performance aesthetic".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I know perfectly well what I am talking about. What you perhaps don't realise is that the pianos which I am mainly referring to are earlier pianos with the single escapement action which feel very different to a modern Steinway D and are also more difficult to control!!
I understand that Erard's from around 1850 onwards become very similar to modern pianos (my own Erard dates to 1851) however, I am referring to earlier pianos which were played by Chopin such as the 1830's Pleyels. John Rink, a leading Chopin scholar, owns an 1842 French Erard which is very similar to the Pleyels which Chopin favoured and played frequently and both he and I (along with many other pianist and musicians) find these earlier instruments more difficult to control. This is the point I was trying to make - that the early Erard and Pleyel grand pianos are more difficult to control than modern pianos.
Smaller Pleyel uprights from this period are not as difficult to control and in Prof. Rink's opinion, are "the most malleable in terms of a Chopin-like performance aesthetic".

You'll have to define "difficult to control".

♪ ≠ $

To piette: Please don't worry about others doubting that you have piano. (It never would have occurred to me.)

I thought also that your post was excellent and well stated.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission