2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Here is my second take on this beautiful nocturne (op. 72 no. 1). I've tried to incorporate some of the suggestions received from PW members.

I'm still working on not knocking the thumb in the LH (sadly, it's more noticeable at this new, slower tempo). I'm not totally comfortable with the slower tempo yet -- it'll take a little longer for it to settle with me.

I'd appreciate any suggestions -- hopefully this is an improvement over my last take! I have a lesson this evening, so we'll see what my teacher thinks smile.

Thanks Cinnamonbear for the recording suggestions -- let me know if this one sounds any better.

https://www.box.com/s/1329493b11c2ec8515e1

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Well, my immediate reaction is that your second take is quite frankly "night-and-day" better than your first. The "distancing" of the sound did indeed help; but also, I thought this performance was much more "grounded" than the first; less underlining of details, which tended to distract throughout in the first take, and more emphasis on the overarching musical line. I thought you achieved the stasis of the pulse in the left hand wonderfully, and that for me is the crux of the piece: the tension between the passion of the right hand which wants to change in the worst way and the left hand, which consistently counters in "letting it be". A very successful effort, and thanks for sharing!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What Tim said. Plus, this demonstration underscores what I said the first time--that this piece is ripe for exploration from you, and will just keep getting better and better as you get to know it more and mess around with it. What this post proves to me is how well you can play!

Thanks for posting it! Nicely done!

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
...the crux of the piece: the tension between the passion of the right hand which wants to change in the worst way and the left hand, which consistently counters in "letting it be".

Ooooo I love that, and I'm stealing it wink.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to the Chopin at my lesson today -- my rep list is a mile long right now because I'm preparing for a pedagogy exam this month. But my teacher did mention that it sounded like I worked extra hard this week. yippie

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
That was a huge improvement. Really like the slower tempo. Your RH in the 2nd half of the piece sings and is beautiful. Try to give more of that singing tone to the first half of the piece.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What did you use to record with?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

P
P
Very pretty! I really enjoyed your recording! My teacher assigned this piece to me very recently, and the tips you received are helping me so much, too. Thanks for posting!
Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by mazurkajoe

This was recorded with an Roland R-05.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Playagain
Very pretty! I really enjoyed your recording! My teacher assigned this piece to me very recently, and the tips you received are helping me so much, too. Thanks for posting!
Kathy

That is one of the things I love so much about Piano World! It's like a giant study group. thumb

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
It's a very awesome study group.

I played this nocturne for my teacher this morning (we didn't get to it at my lesson on Wednesday) and she was .. speechless. (And this is after I got a thorough lecture about my Bach and Haydn lol) She said "What did you do last week??" I told her about PW and she said,"You better get them to listen to all your other pieces too." crazy Oh, kill me now.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LadyChen
It's a very awesome study group.

I played this nocturne for my teacher this morning (we didn't get to it at my lesson on Wednesday) and she was .. speechless. (And this is after I got a thorough lecture about my Bach and Haydn lol) She said "What did you do last week??" I told her about PW and she said,"You better get them to listen to all your other pieces too." crazy Oh, kill me now.

LOL! laugh That is awesome and funny at the same time!!! You are really in for it, now!!! grin

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
P
Andy, it is--it's great! I am always learning something new. smile
LadyChen, so wonderful that your teacher was speechless!
Kathy

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Playagain
Andy, it is--it's great! I am always learning something new. smile
LadyChen, so wonderful that your teacher was speechless!
Kathy

Yes! And, I want to hear Lady Chen's piano teacher on PW, too! And, I want to know what Lady Chen's relationship to her piano teacher is, such that she gets an extra hearing on a Sat. morning! grin Ha-ha!

And, Lady Chen, I hope your Piano Teacher investigates PW! smile

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
L
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Haha, she avoids the internet like the plague. I'll tell her about things I find on the internet, like out-of-print books, and she gives me her credit card so I can order them for her!

She was my teacher as a kid, and now that I've returned to her as an adult, she has been a friend, mentor, teacher all-in-one. And I'm free to come practice on her Steinway whenever I want. yippie I have two pedagogy exams this month, so I'm there a lot! And it gives my husband a break from the constant practicing.

I'm going to try and post recordings of my P&F and Haydn Sonata next week -- they are the other two that need work.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That is truly beautiful! Thanks for sharing that story Lady Chen! You are very fortunate! thumb

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
M
M
Hauntingly beautiful, LadyChen.

I do not possess the experience or finesse to technically analyze your performance...except to say that to this relatively untrained ear, it was lovely.

Last edited by Michael Forbes; 08/21/12 07:29 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission