2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey everybody, I listened to a bunch of the stuff you all have posted a couple of weeks ago. There's a lot of great playing going on! I've always had an interest in free playing but only dabbled in it from time to time. But being in a slump with my jazz for awhile, listening to what you all posted inspired me and got me thinking about what I'm doing with my music. So I decided to record some stuff to see what would happen. Turns out I really enjoyed it! So much so I decided to put the recordings together as a record. I put up a website where you can download all the music for free. I hope you all like it and thanks for providing the impetus and inspiration for my new musical direction.

www.watchingmythoughts.weebly.com

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Great stuff Scott, that is really a project you undertook. What you say about 'the feeling of connectedness' is definitely something I can relate to and something that playing free can really increase, it did for me anyway.
I have only listened to the first track so far but it has a really nice feel to it. You say you are in a slump with your jazz but this is jazz, to me at least, and it is far from slumpy. You may find that all this free playing also helps with playing more straight ahead jazz as well.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Ted, your improvisation is amazing you are able to keep it going for so long. What is your motivation for such work?

beeboss, I really liked your improvisations. Very professional sounding and quite moving, actually. Very impressive.

Scott - that's an incredible number of tracks! Really interesting is the variety among them. It's a great deal of work. Did you do those over a few days or weeks, or in one day? I agree completely with beeboss - the larger you can expand your own musical vocabulary in all styles of music, they will apply to your jazz focus when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks, beeboss and Ted - - glad you enjoyed the short takes.

Here are a couple more short and sweet improvs, one quite different from the other. A friend provided those names after she listened to them.

A Long Year: https://www.box.com/s/qufzrhtc4cd21du0vzh6

Sun Up: https://www.box.com/shared/6g112ld9cp

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Beeboss and Inlanding for checking out my stuff.

Beeboss, I know what you mean by still considering this jazz. I'm just cautionary with labels after realizing that for some people, this can open a whole can of worms. smile

Inlanding, I recorded the first 5 tracks, back to back on Tuesday... right after getting my piano tuned. laugh Then I recorded the last 4 on Wednesday. By the way, I listened to your two new postings... very nice!

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Inlanding
Ted, your improvisation is amazing you are able to keep it going for so long. What is your motivation for such work?

Some earlier ones were much longer but I have limited myself to half an hour recently to avoid strains, dystonias and the like. It is its own motivation. It is a completely reliable source of ecstasy. I have always had a relentless drive to create at the instrument since I was a kid. I composed and wrote out many pieces when I was younger but these days improvisation is close to everything. It is the ideal medium for people like me who have an infinite supply of ideas but modest musical ability, even less musical training and a psyche which doesn't fit the usual social patterns of musical interaction.

To put it another way, I'm not very good at anything else !

Last edited by Ted; 08/27/12 06:51 PM.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Great work Scott smile

I've listened a lot of amazing music in this thread. I was wondering how a lot of material is, in some way, such personal.

A question for you all: how, if u do, do u practice this kind of stuff? Do u have exercize? Study composition? Just do an re-do?

I'm not sure to have a very rigorous manner to train this skill.

This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before.
https://soundcloud.com/alberto-forino

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by alberto
A question for you all: how, if u do, do u practice this kind of stuff?

Practising improvisation is almost a contradiction in terms for me. To practise implies the existence of another state which is the real thing, like performance for a concert pianist for instance. When I improvise it is always real and unique to the moment.

Do u have exercize?

The only technical work I do is a few minutes night and morning on my silent Virgil Practice Clavier. But even that varies from day to day. I don't go up and down scales and the like in the same old way day in and day out as some people do.

Study composition?

I have never formally studied composition, theory or harmony and do not understand them. I wrote out a large number of pieces when I was younger, but most of them crystallised out of improvisation over time.

Just do an re-do?

Precise repetition I find very uninteresting. Even within a piece, regular or strictly periodic cells I find very dull. "Almost periodic" cells are much more vital and more likely to spawn successive ideas.

Last edited by Ted; 08/28/12 08:16 AM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

A question for you all: how, if u do, do u practice this kind of stuff? Do u have exercize? Study composition? Just do an re-do?

I'm not sure to have a very rigorous manner to train this skill.

I've spent a huge amount of time practicing improvisation in the jazz tradition. That has involved studying theory, composition and technique, as well as a fair amount of transcribing and ear training. Mostly, for me, improvisation is about having a vocabulary to work with. Unlike Ted, I find that alot of repetition is necessary to absorb things, but I spend an equal amount of time exploring primarily for the purpose of finding things to absorb. So I would say that I have two approaches to practice... 1. absorb ideas through repetition, analysis, understanding, and 2. practice performing improvising. Again though, for me this has been almost entirely in the jazz tradition for more than 10 rigorous years, and classical and popular stuff before that (which didn't involve improvising much at all).

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I listened to all nine pieces, Scott, and found them deeply calming and optimistic. Perhaps I might do well to consider such ambiance myself, as my own playing usually leaves me feeling like a limp rag. The exception was your fourth, which seems to spring from an entirely different haptic process, one which seems full of possibilities - a sort of modern baroque perhaps. I listened to that one several times.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Ted! Glad you liked it. Yeah the 4th track was considerably different. Not sure why. smile

I've uploaded on my soundcloud page some free/open improvisations. You can hear them here

any kind of feedback is very welcomed smile

aL

This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Hi Alberto~
It's been two+ years since we last participated in this thread! Nice to see you again. I listened to your music - quite nice. I sense a great deal of energy in your playing. Thank you for your music.

Here are a couple of free-play tunes from awhile ago - feedback is welcomed and encouraged:

Forth and Back
https://app.box.com/s/s80lj1f6a4nk9wxcmiwv

MajorMinor
https://app.box.com/s/dzcgs0yuggyd1z3ukwyh

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Mark, I very much enjoyed the wide spaces and long sustain of your thoughtful set of improvisations.
Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
3 Impromptus :

Lydian blues for Lydia :

https://soundcloud.com/jazzman1945/blues-for-lydia

In memoriam Vagif Mustafa zade :

Passacaglia sentimentale

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Glen,

Thank you VERY MUCH for your comments. They're much, much appreciated.

Ab,

Mark

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Very interesting! Each improviser has its own individual handwriting, and such differences ! I am especially interested in the primary impulse: the sound; interval sound complex; timbre, rhythmical trigger . No less interesting is that each performer has in his pocket a permanent scenario under which he plays, even unconsciously. Very interesting! Each improviser has its own individual handwriting, and such differences ! I am especially interested in the primary impulse: the sound; interval sound complex; timbre, rhythmical trigger . No less interesting is that each performer has in his pocket a permanent scenario under which he plays, even unconsciously.
Thanks to all who laid out here his / her recordings !

T
T
https://soundcloud.com/dr-bekken
Here's one of my improvisations, 'Downriver'.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by T E Bekken

Wow sounds great. Thank you for posting. Your recordings have changed how I view non-traditional piano voicing; I think you give nice life to that old-worn-out-hammers piano sound.

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
T
T
Originally Posted by charleslang
Originally Posted by T E Bekken

Wow sounds great. Thank you for posting. Your recordings have changed how I view non-traditional piano voicing; I think you give nice life to that old-worn-out-hammers piano sound.

Thank you! The piano was an old Schimmel grand which had not been tuned for a while. The instrument also had some issues technically. It adds to the mood somehow. Generally, I like good instruments, but occasionally, I enjoy the sound of pianos which are old and ever so slightly out of tune. Maybe I need help.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission