Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
100 registered members (Bean23, 36251, Beardog, AnthonyPaulO, anotherscott, Albert Brighten, AWilley, 26 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
b scale first #1932721
07/26/12 01:35 PM
07/26/12 01:35 PM
W
writebynight Offline OP
writebynight  Offline OP
W

Chopin taught his students B scale first because he felt this scale was easiest as it fit the fingers more evenly. Would any teacher here use this approach?

Working on Lead Me On by Maxine Nightingale.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1932759
07/26/12 02:59 PM
07/26/12 02:59 PM
E
emilypianist89 Offline
emilypianist89  Offline
E

I have tried it before. It certainly does help create a nice hand position. The only part that I struggle with is rote/theoretical. I like to strike a good balance in my teaching. Starting with B+ lends itself to learning scales (or at least this one) by rote. So then, when does one fill in that gap?

Pianist
Private Piano Teacher
Re: b scale first [Re: emilypianist89] #1932778
07/26/12 03:39 PM
07/26/12 03:39 PM
K
Klaviersüchtig Offline
Klaviersüchtig  Offline
K

Originally Posted by emilypianist89
So then, when does one fill in that gap?

My teacher starts with the scale in b - and I do not understand why this should hinder a theoretical approach. He explains first the structure of major scales, than he gives some exercises for this "thumb-under-thing" (sorry, I don't know the English term) and then when he feels the student is ready he teaches first the b scale for the right hand and the d flat (c sharp) scale for the left hand.

Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1932786
07/26/12 04:09 PM
07/26/12 04:09 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by writebynight
Chopin taught his students B scale first because he felt this scale was easiest as it fit the fingers more evenly. Would any teacher here use this approach?

Yes.

B first for RH, start going DOWN.
Db first in LH, start going UP.

Piano Teacher
Re: b scale first [Re: Gary D.] #1932789
07/26/12 04:29 PM
07/26/12 04:29 PM
W
writebynight Offline OP
writebynight  Offline OP
W

Db and b together . Intertesting . Reasons why?

Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1932814
07/26/12 05:47 PM
07/26/12 05:47 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
First, stop typing b. It is B. You MUST capitalize letters. b is flat! wink

Db puts thumbs in both hands on C and F. RH must cross from Eb to F and Bb to C, longer distance.

But LH crosses from F to Gb and C to Db. 3rd and 4th fingers are inside and elevated for cross.

Righties should START with LH FIRST, separate.

And they should start LH ascending, natural direction of movement but RH DESCENDING, also natural direction of movement.

HOWEVER: for beginning students, starting with B or Db is impractical for those learning to read, since those scales will not be used for some time. C scale will be used IMMEDIATELY in most books that are teaching reading. So C scale is practical for playing.

B and Db is practical for teaching how the hand would like to MOVE. smile

Last edited by Gary D.; 07/26/12 05:48 PM.

Piano Teacher
Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1933035
07/27/12 07:37 AM
07/27/12 07:37 AM
Melbourne, Australia
T
Theme&Variations Offline
Theme&Variations  Offline
T

Melbourne, Australia
I tried this out on a student today, it was fun and worked well. smile

Private piano teacher since 2003
Member:
ASME (Australian Society for Music Education),
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).
Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1933152
07/27/12 01:07 PM
07/27/12 01:07 PM
Irvine, CA
B
bzpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bzpiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

Irvine, CA
I like to teach B Major Scales to students as the very first scales that they learn. I would first ask them to stick out finger 2 and 3 of each hand and play those two black keys. Then ask them to stick out finger 2, 3, and 4 to play three black keys. Then I ask them to play "B" with their thumbs, two black keys at the same time, then "E" with thumb, then three black keys at the same time. After couples time of playing in block for the black keys, then I ask them to play one by one, then they are playing B Major Scales!

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1933163
07/27/12 01:41 PM
07/27/12 01:41 PM
boston north
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

boston north
As I have mentioned before -

I first teach the scales with all 5 black keys. Rote

They FIT the hand more naturally and expose students to incorporating the black keys into their thinking/feeling/playing. Music is not written in all white keys!

Didn't realize Chopin did this also.

Guess I am in good company! <G>

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1933168
07/27/12 01:50 PM
07/27/12 01:50 PM
CA
M
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minniemay  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

CA
I call them the VW scales as fingers 2-3 make the letter V and 2-3-4 make the letter W. I often teach these first because I'm not after them as a part of reading, but of technique. They can master B, Db and F# quite easily and have no fear of scales. For me, starting with C (which, in my opinion, is the most difficult to play well), just seems to take longer for the student to learn and then they have a negative attitude about scales.

But that's just me.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Re: b scale first [Re: Minniemay] #1933181
07/27/12 02:13 PM
07/27/12 02:13 PM
boston north
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member
lilylady  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

boston north
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I call them the VW scales as fingers 2-3 make the letter V and 2-3-4 make the letter W. I often teach these first because I'm not after them as a part of reading, but of technique. They can master B, Db and F# quite easily and have no fear of scales. For me, starting with C (which, in my opinion, is the most difficult to play well), just seems to take longer for the student to learn and then they have a negative attitude about scales.

But that's just me.

Odd that I call it the C# scale. Wonder where that is coming from?

I think Db would be easier!!! (oh, that is reading, huh?)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Re: b scale first [Re: Minniemay] #1933230
07/27/12 03:26 PM
07/27/12 03:26 PM
W
writebynight Offline OP
writebynight  Offline OP
W

But that's just me.

What I've found is that the C major is obviously easy to recognize but not that easy to play "smoothly". My middle finger and index don't have much room with the black keys above and sometimes bump into my thumb esp when I play C backward from right to left. I eventually get it but I have more fun with B, Db, and even E scale.

Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1933241
07/27/12 03:55 PM
07/27/12 03:55 PM
CA
M
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Minniemay  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

CA
When playing a scale with few black keys, make an extra effort to play more on the corner of the thumb. Very little of the thumb should actually contact the key.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Re: b scale first [Re: Minniemay] #1933248
07/27/12 04:07 PM
07/27/12 04:07 PM
W
writebynight Offline OP
writebynight  Offline OP
W

Yes! That's what I eventually got. (Cant afford a teacher so had to learn thru trial and error.) But yes, as my grammar school music teacher once said "The piano keys never move so don't blame them".

Re: b scale first [Re: Minniemay] #1933314
07/27/12 06:18 PM
07/27/12 06:18 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
When playing a scale with few black keys, make an extra effort to play more on the corner of the thumb. Very little of the thumb should actually contact the key.

For me the trick is to play using the thumb as close to the edge of the key as practical, then angle the hand so that 4th finger plays as close as possible to black keys for B, 3rd as close to black keys as possible for E. Play inward, RH desending, LH ascending, carefully observing angle of hand, wrist, forearm and elbow to keys, don't let elbow move out to the side for thumb turn then back in. That's where students get nasty bumps in their scales. Leaning to both sides is critical (necessary when playing scales several octaves), and great care should be taken with beginners to get the exact right alignment - and transfer students, who almost always are using hands in a very awkward way that defeats their using scales effortlessly in music.

Piano Teacher
Re: b scale first [Re: writebynight] #1933904
07/29/12 12:27 AM
07/29/12 12:27 AM
Canada
L
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member
LadyChen  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Canada
I also like to teach Db major scale early on, because it shows the pattern of where to use 2-3 and were to use 2-3-4 so clearly. But I can definitely see GaryD's point that the RH has a big thumb cross distance in this scale -- I've never thought about that before. I like the idea of using B major for the RH.

For myself, C major and A minor melodic (descending) are the most difficult scales to play quickly, simply because there are no landmarks for fingering.

Re: b scale first [Re: Gary D.] #1933943
07/29/12 03:07 AM
07/29/12 03:07 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Gary D.
transfer students, who almost always are using hands in a very awkward way that defeats their using scales effortlessly in music.

That's why I don't advocate learning so many scales at an early level. Most kids I get play scales way, way wrong: wrong notes, bad fingering, inconsistent fingering, STUPID fingering, unnecessary accents, accents falling on the wrong beats, hands not playing exactly together, flat fingers (!?), poor hand shape, and blinding speed with no regards to tone or musicality.

And I have actually gotten a transfer student who could play all the major and minor scales, but can't get beyond Clementi Op. 36 No. 1 in repertoire! Hello!? Playing scales does not equal making music.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: b scale first [Re: AZNpiano] #1934207
07/29/12 02:41 PM
07/29/12 02:41 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

That's why I don't advocate learning so many scales at an early level. Most kids I get play scales way, way wrong: wrong notes, bad fingering, inconsistent fingering, STUPID fingering, unnecessary accents, accents falling on the wrong beats, hands not playing exactly together, flat fingers (!?), poor hand shape, and blinding speed with no regards to tone or musicality.

I won't allow hands together i scales untl both hands are as close to perfect in my eyes (and ears) as they can be.

I'm not after speed. I'm after all the things you just talked about seeing done wrong. To me the number one thing in scales is to make a whole series of notes sound as though we have 88 fingers. It's our job as teachers to create an illusion, several illusions in fact. Then we show our students how we make something that seems difficul to them seem so easy, smooth, effortless. Drilling scales also takes time, so I want to make sure I am only drilling one at a time and that it gets done exactly right.

I'm still rethinking the best way to go about it, but I know that listening to 12 of them, even just majors, is not the way to get what I want. The practice needs to be systematic, efficient, and it needs to be interesting. Making a science out of HOW to play scales can change them from something that feels like a punishmnet to something that is fascinating.

Piano Teacher
Re: b scale first [Re: Gary D.] #1934306
07/29/12 06:14 PM
07/29/12 06:14 PM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I won't allow hands together i scales untl both hands are as close to perfect in my eyes (and ears) as they can be.

You and Gieseking. His book says that scales should be played with absolute precision in both timing and tone, and that in attempting to do so the student learns to listen. He believed learning to listen was one of the most important yet underappreciated skills. He would not allow hands together scales because a beginner could not listen to both.

gotta go practice
Re: b scale first [Re: Gary D.] #1934324
07/29/12 07:03 PM
07/29/12 07:03 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
It's our job as teachers to create an illusion, several illusions in fact. Then we show our students how we make something that seems difficul to them seem so easy, smooth, effortless.

This.

But I already know my teacher can play, I want him to teacher to teach me create this effect! (much more difficult, to my way of thinking!)

Learner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What PianoWorld has cost me...
by David B. 03/26/19 07:48 PM
Rock School Breakdown?
by stevechris. 03/26/19 05:07 PM
Which Yamaha model?
by Azzawaba. 03/26/19 04:48 PM
CP88
by quindecima. 03/26/19 04:37 PM
Story & Clark Console - Worth Investing in?
by Bean23. 03/26/19 04:19 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,148
Posts2,811,207
Members92,886
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission