Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
90 registered members (AnnInMiami, Agent88, anotherscott, Bett, 26 invisible), 1,631 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Piano purchase #193329
09/24/05 09:29 AM
09/24/05 09:29 AM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
D
dioneo Offline OP
dioneo  Offline OP
D

Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am an adult beginner (actually many years ago I took some classic piano lessons, but abandoned, but I am still a classic piano fan), and I want to start studying again, of course only for my pleasure. I am deciding to purchase a second hand upright piano, and nowadays, after visiting several stores and hearing several pianos, I selected three pianos, no so old, and at a price I can afford, but now my problem is which one will I purchase? Which one will last longer and give me more pleasure and less trouble?
1) Bechner, made by Van Urk, 15 years old or so. Console like, modern design, nice mechanism and nice tone, although not impressive. They say that this is a strong piano.
2) Wurlitzer. Can be seen at the following address (I am sorry I don't know how to create a link):
http://www.royalconcert.com.ar/articulo.asp?cual=2337
This is a piano which I would be gald to see in my house, visually speaking laugh Then the tone is not bad, and it has a tonal pedal. It's about 25 years old. Certainly the basses are not the same as in old german pianos, but the mechanism is in perfect condition, and the sound is not spinet like (I assume this is rather a console).
3) Meari (by Hyundai). This is the newest of the three, it has been used for a very short time. I had a prejudice against asian pianos, but this one is visually elegant and sounds impressively. Will it require frequent adjustments or so? Will it last in good conditions? A joke I thought is that as in Korea they make such fine cars, they have to be able to make fine pianos too. But I'm afraid this is really a joke.
Well, thank you for your assistance, and I hope we will meet again in the adult beginners forum.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Piano purchase #193330
09/24/05 09:34 AM
09/24/05 09:34 AM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, dioneo! I don't have any firsthand knowledge of the 3 pianos you're considering, so I can't offer any specific advice. But I WILL say that just about everybody here would urge you strongly to hire an independent piano technician to inspect the pianos and offer his assessment of how sound they are. It's a relatively small investment considering the consequences of buying a used piano and discovering, much too late, that there's a crack in the soundboard or it can't hold a tune.

p.s. If you haven't already, go to the "hey all you newbies" thread in the Adult Beginner's forum and tell us about yourself.

Re: Piano purchase #193331
10/02/05 05:56 PM
10/02/05 05:56 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
D
dioneo Offline OP
dioneo  Offline OP
D

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Than you Monica for your response. Actually I discarded all the three pianos for different reasons. As to the Bechner, the independent tech warned me about the brand, and in general about van Urk pianos. I took an additional look to the 42" Wurlitzer and realized that it has not the tone I expect, and it is merely a nice piece of furniture. So the Maeari by Hyundai remained, which is truly a beautiful piano as regards tone, mechanism and in every respect, but it is impossible for me to afford its price until two, three or may be four months from now, and meantime it will be surely selled (and I cannot be enough sure of the future as to put a deposit and fix a date for the complete payment). BUT meantime I have found the ideal piano for me, a new, first hand, upright Fritz Dobbert piano, a brand which most recently is being imported from Brazil.
Their web page is http://www.fritzdobbert.com.br
The model I like is the 116. I saw and heard personally one at the store, and loved the precise mechanism and the tone. Then the inner parts, the raw materials and the architecture of construction are quality thought. And fortunately I can wait until I have the money, because the store will be importing the pianos from now on. They told me that the brazilian factory is selling them in USA too.
Best,
Carlos (Dioneo)

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dwight piano
by WY2298. 11/12/18 05:23 PM
Ydp-143 and iPhone - what can I do?
by Chilligirl. 11/12/18 04:44 PM
'Un hiver à Majorque"
by dolce sfogato. 11/12/18 04:33 PM
Same notes on different Clef - D4
by XxKeldecknightxX. 11/12/18 04:31 PM
Need advice on 2017 Seiler ED186 vs 2012 Schimmel C189
by Joe Apisarn. 11/12/18 02:50 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,303
Posts2,760,536
Members91,475
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission