2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1933130 07/27/12 11:58 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi All,

I'm an adult who has taken about 2 years of classical piano lessons. I know a fair amount of music theory, but I don't have a lot of practice under my belt. I know what a 7chord is, but I can't rattle off an Eb7, for example.

I'd like to study jazz piano, mostly so I can play standards, with a little improvisation. First of all, am I ready? Should I gain more technique first? My classical teacher doesn't care much for playing lead sheets, so where would I go?

Second: are there jazz teachers in the Boston area who would take on a beginner like me? Please PM me if you know somebody. Thanks.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Check out Berklee - isn't it in Boston?

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
You are ready to start studying jazz, but I doubt a teacher would have you playing lead sheets and standards right away. My guess is a teacher will first put you on a program where you'll learn all the seventh chords in all keys, and how to voice them. A jazz teacher will put you on the track of learning what you need to know. Dont' know Boston, so I can't help you specifically, but I would be surprised if Boston didn't have loads to fine jazz piano teachers.

S
OP Offline
S
They don't teach ad-hoc, you have to be enrolled full-time to study there.

Originally Posted by daviel
Check out Berklee - isn't it in Boston?

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by SirHuddlestonFudd
Hi All,

I'm an adult who has taken about 2 years of classical piano lessons. I know a fair amount of music theory, but I don't have a lot of practice under my belt. I know what a 7chord is, but I can't rattle off an Eb7, for example.

I'd like to study jazz piano, mostly so I can play standards, with a little improvisation. First of all, am I ready? Should I gain more technique first? My classical teacher doesn't care much for playing lead sheets, so where would I go?

Second: are there jazz teachers in the Boston area who would take on a beginner like me? Please PM me if you know somebody. Thanks.

Even a bare beginner could find plenty of jazz/improvisation teachers willing to teach (though you certainly have a step-up with your background), so you're perfectly able to start whenever. As far as finding such a teacher, many don't advertise (quite possibly most), so that leaves you with finding them through word of mouth - ask around at any local music stores you have for some ideas; ask your teacher, friends, etc.; google around and see if you can find anything (also look at sites like MTNA Teacher Look-up for one)

S
S
As long as you're willing to work hard in your learning and you find the right teacher you're absolutely ready.

There is no entrance exam to play jazz per se. Just a willingness to gradually improve your skills on a daily basis. A good teacher can help you structure your path.

Originally Posted by Steve Nixon
As long as you're willing to work hard in your learning and you find the right teacher you're absolutely ready.

There is no entrance exam to play jazz per se. Just a willingness to gradually improve your skills on a daily basis. A good teacher can help you structure your path.

Absolutely agree. Just begin. Study & practice. If u can search for a teacher who can help you.
If u wait to be ready for something u should never begin to do nothing. wink

aL

This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before.
https://soundcloud.com/alberto-forino

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, all. I have introductory lessons scheduled with two different teachers in August. Now I have to go learn the scales in every key....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here's the secret. Buy "The Real Book 6th Edition" and then play all the ballads in "2+2" as described in Randy Halberstadt's book on jazz piano.

S
OP Offline
S
Ordered.

S
OP Offline
S
What does "2+2" mean?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by SirHuddlestonFudd
Thanks, all. I have introductory lessons scheduled with two different teachers in August. Now I have to go learn the scales in every key....

Congrats for finding your teachers.
The major key is a great start. How well do you know your 12 major keys ?
As jazz is largely based on 8th notes, you can practise them in 4-note cell patterns.

S
OP Offline
S
Aargh! What does "play all the ballads in 2+2" mean?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Great book. 2+2 is explained in the later chapters. basically, play Root + 3rd or Root + 7th in LH, and 3rd or 7th + melody in the right hand.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Oh that's interesting Knotty.
From the Mark Levine book, I've been learning LH as Root + 5th.
RH is the same as what you described.

Another question I wanted to ask you was when do I use this 2+2 (2+3) method and when do I use the thick LH chords with RH single note method ?
I've been learning both for All the Things You Are.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Generally, 2+2 is better playing solo.
Lh chords is better with a bass, but you can mix and match.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Knotty
When you say mix and match, is this an acceptable order ?

1. Play head with thick LH chords and RH single notes
2. Solo with thick LH chords and RH single notes
3. Play head using 2+2

Am I correct in thinking that if everyone uses the same 2+2 formula, everyone's playing of the head will sound the same ?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cus,

That's fine. What you want to avoid is play the LH chords in Root position. That would sound pretty lame. Generally maybe start with the simple approach like 2+2 and then dense it up as you go.

>>Am I correct in thinking that if everyone uses the same 2+2 formula, everyone's playing of the head will sound the same ?
Yes and no. 2+2 is a nice formula for playing off of a lead sheet, but at some point, you will arrange your own tunes and create your own voice. You can add chords in lots of places. And reharmonize some. The more you arrange, the more these things will become yours. And rather than getting arrangement techniques out of books, get them out of your own head. Using the process of self discovery, things stick a lot better. And it's more fun too, because you are truly creating and innovating (even if someone has already done before you)
Also, the way people play notes make them sound all different.No 2 people swing the same, or have quite the same touch.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Fluency in 2+2 is not easy for those who have not done it before. And if you can't do it in basic 2+2 you won't be going very far in jazz piano.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission