2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1932005 07/24/12 08:31 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I've been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks and have learned a tremendous amount of information; what a great site.

I just bought a new Mason and Hamlin BB for what I think is a very good price. In fact, I've been wondering why they sold it so cheap. They said it was invoiced to them towards the end of 2009 if I'm not mistaken. The dealer doesn't have serial numbers past 2003 and I can't find numbers past 03 online either. On one hand, it's not imperative that I know the year because it's a great piano, but it would be nice to know.

Does anyone know where I can find serial numbers beyond 2003 for M and M? I can always contact the company as another option, but they can be difficult to reach at times.

Thanks,

Aaron

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
Full-time music professor (theory) and jazz pianist
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Welcome to Piano World! If you can post the serial number of your piano, someone can tell you the year.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
A
OP Offline
A
Eric,

Thanks for the welcome. Small detail I left out: 92786.

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The Pierce Piano Atlas lists your piano as made in 2007.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the information Eric.

It makes me wonder what the piano was doing for potentially two years plus. The sales person told me they got the piano boxed up in October 2009. Would a piano not get shipped to a store for two years? Perhaps it was a demo at the headquarters in Sacramento for that period. I've been to the place in Sac and they have a room full of different models.

I suppose I should probably not concern myself with this because the piano is a very nice instrument. The missing two years still seems a little odd. This probably explains why they gave me such a killer deal.

Aaron

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Garner
Thanks for the information Eric.

It makes me wonder what the piano was doing for potentially two years plus. The sales person told me they got the piano boxed up in October 2009. Would a piano not get shipped to a store for two years? Perhaps it was a demo at the headquarters in Sacramento for that period. I've been to the place in Sac and they have a room full of different models.

I suppose I should probably not concern myself with this because the piano is a very nice instrument. The missing two years still seems a little odd. This probably explains why they gave me such a killer deal.

Aaron

Hi Aaron -

I had a similar experience with the "new" BB I bought back in 2006. It was almost three years old at the time, and had an interesting history - which took me a while to research and reconstruct. But the bottom line is that I got a terrific instrument for a killer deal, and since I'm the original owner I received the full new piano warranty.

The situation you describe is not all that unusual - even tho it may seem a bit odd. Enjoy your piano !!!! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Aaron Garner
I've been reading posts on this forum for a few weeks and have learned a tremendous amount of information; what a great site.

I just bought a new Mason and Hamlin BB for what I think is a very good price. In fact, I've been wondering why they sold it so cheap. They said it was invoiced to them towards the end of 2009 if I'm not mistaken. The dealer doesn't have serial numbers past 2003 and I can't find numbers past 03 online either. On one hand, it's not imperative that I know the year because it's a great piano, but it would be nice to know.

Does anyone know where I can find serial numbers beyond 2003 for M and M? I can always contact the company as another option, but they can be difficult to reach at times.

Thanks,

Aaron

Congratulations on your new piano. You obviously felt it was the best piano formyour needs, so don't worry about the year of manufacture. Just play and enjoy!

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for all who posted. I'd like to especially say thanks to Russell Kassman for such a gracious comment because I was considering an Estonia and a Sauter (both pianos were really nice) at his store in Berkeley. Even though he sells pianos for a living, I could tell he wanted me to buy the piano I would love rather than pressuring me to buy one of his just for the money. I learned a lot about pianos in the 3 or 4 visits with him.

Good advice about just enjoying the piano. Russell, when I win the lottery, I'll come back and buy that Steingraeber & Söhne you have.

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There are a lot of "old", but "new" premium pianos in Australian dealer's showrooms. 3yo Grotrian, 2x 4yo Mason&Hamlins, 3yo Petrof 9' that I came across recently.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Aaron, it could be that your dealer received your BB from another dealer...where the piano had been sitting on the showroom floor for a few years...and then it sat some more.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
A
OP Offline
A
I think I'll forget about the fact that I bought a 2007 model in 2012 and just enjoy the piano. It is after all, a really nice sounding instrument which is why I chose it. A musician friend made the point that it might be a good thing because it should be really broken in.

2013 Mason and Hamlin BB

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission