2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
34 members (Beowulf, DPPianoPhil, AWilley, ElaineAllegro, GnGEmpire, ebonyk, Charles Cohen, 8 invisible), 416 guests, and 496 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Hudil Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hey guys!

So, I'm finally buying a digital piano and I'd like some help deciding which one of the following that's most worth buying. I'll probably buy these 2nd hand and ofc in good condition.
One thing to have in mind is that I think prices here in Sweden are higher than in US. So the "New price" is what these DPs would cost in a music store here in Sweden.

Yamaha P155 1150 USD. New price: 1670 USD
Yamaha CP50 1715 USD. New price: 2025 USD
Roland RD 700GX 1730 USD. New price: Not available, RD700NX is 3100 USD new though.
Roland FP-4F 1650 USD. New price: 1890 USD

At the moment I mostly feel like buying the Yamaha P155 because it seems like a really nice DP at a pretty nice price. But if spending a few hundred dollars more means that I could get a much better DP, then I think I'd rather do that. The Roland FP-4F seems really nice too so I have a hard time deciding.

I don't really care too much about the weight, although I don't want it to be extremely big & heavy. Another thing worth mentioning is that I don't think I will need like 300 different sounds etc because at the moment I just feel like I won't need that many, but maybe that's something that I need/want later when I improve.

The most important thing I think is the feel and sound of the piano.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
The P-155 is a solid choice. It has a very good action and the sound is also good. It is generally agreed around here that the Roland NX models have a very good piano sound and the PHA III action is liked by many. You really need to play whatever you are considering to determine what you like. Sound and action are subjective, but action is the most important consideration. You can always hook up to a computer for other voices.

H
Hudil Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Okay, sweet! So that means it's not worth spending the extra bucks?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
That is a decision you should make after trying out different digital pianos in different price ranges. This will help you decide what you like and what you don't. Don't make the mistake of not trying before buying.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
as a p-155 owner, I'd not have payed that high price for mine (got mine for maybe $800-900 with a coupon). That being said, though, I do very much enjoy having it. Unless you like the feel of the keys on the yamahas better (which was why I chose my p-155, though the only Roland I was able to compare them with was an fp-7), I'd lean towards the rolands

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Easily the RD700GX ... and look around for the SN upgrade board to give you pretty much the best current DP sound available in any board.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
H
Hudil Offline OP
OP Offline
H
So I should still consider the RD700GX although it's a bit "old"? and I'm 100% sure I won't be buying the Super natural upgrade atleast for 1-2 months. I think since it's not that much of a difference in price between the FP-4F and the RD700GX I guess it's the Fp-4F goes away. It'd be better spending that little extra to get the RD700GX then... But now I think it's whether or not I want to spend THAT much for the RD700GX or just go for the P-155.

Still haven't made up my mind smile
Btw, if I go to the local music store here and try out the RD700NX, how different will it be from the RD700GX? Can I even compare the two? I was thinking I could try the NX just to get a little feel about how the GX is going to feel like / sound like. (They don't sell the RD700GX in stores here anymore).

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Hudil
Hey guys!

So, I'm finally buying a digital piano and I'd like some help deciding which one of the following that's most worth buying. I'll probably buy these 2nd hand and ofc in good condition.
One thing to have in mind is that I think prices here in Sweden are higher than in US. So the "New price" is what these DPs would cost in a music store here in Sweden.

Yamaha P155 1150 USD. New price: 1670 USD
Yamaha CP50 1715 USD. New price: 2025 USD
Roland RD 700GX 1730 USD. New price: Not available, RD700NX is 3100 USD new though.
Roland FP-4F 1650 USD. New price: 1890 USD

I'd choose based on which key action you like. Of the ones on your list I don't happen to like the FP4's action. The RD700NX and FP4 use very different key actions. The RD700NX is very good. I think the CP50 is a slight improment over the P155. I have the P155 and it works well especially after adding an external amp and speakers. The LP140 stand is good if you do not need a portable setup.

The feel of the RD700nx is very different from the two Yamahas. It is amount the best available but some people like the more firm feel of the Yamaha. You have to try it. Where do you live. Here in California the P155 is now $1K.

If you do need a portable keyboard the P155 is not the best for that. It uses a "engineered wood" based chassis that give it a very solid feel but weights a "ton". The RD700 and CP50 are made to be shipped (in cases) The P155 is an ideal home practice piano but not a great stage piano as the other two are. The FP4 has very light action that I don't like. Almost as if it were unweighted

Last edited by ChrisA; 07/23/12 12:45 PM.
H
Hudil Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hey guys!

I've just bought the Yamaha p-155 and I hope I'll enjoy it! (Haven't got it yet).
Thank you all for helping me with the hard decision!

Best Regards,
Hudil

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Congratulations! The P155 is a solid instrument at its price point.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Appraising a piano?
by jsilva - 04/13/21 09:18 PM
Bleeding edge synth tech c.1980 for Rush
by newer player - 04/13/21 08:36 PM
Yamaha U3 or Avant Grand N2
by Eggplanted - 04/13/21 05:46 PM
Kawai KXXX ATX 3
by Stax - 04/13/21 04:26 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,270
Posts3,082,125
Members101,182
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission