2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pianoca Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I've been reading a lot of posts claiming that you got to have the best Tier 1 piano to your music going. Some professor even claimed that all his previous pianos were wasted until he was able to buy a Steinway.

But I just wonder what Mozart, Beethoven, etc. would have thought about this ide while composing their masterpieces.

It seems to me that a Tier 2 or Tier 3 piano, like a Suzuki, would do wonders that Mozart would never have dreamed of.

Sure, a Steinway will likely be better. But a big part of wanting a Steinway seems coming not from the desire for musicality, but other more worldly motives. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No, no, you missed the point. Mozart and Beethoven would have had blondes crawling all over them... in which case they would not have wasted their time writing music.

You are so right. Both would have died for a Suzuki over their horses.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been reading a lot of posts claiming that you got to have the best Tier 1 piano to your music going. Some professor even claimed that all his previous pianos were wasted until he was able to buy a Steinway.

But I just wonder what Mozart, Beethoven, etc. would have thought about this ide while composing their masterpieces.
I often wondered the same.

Good point and great first post!

Norbert thumb

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I think that great pianos help people (like me) to enjoy their own playing because the pianos sound terrific even playing easy pieces. A great piano inspires me to play and to learn, ad to aspire to be better, when a terrible one would not because I would sound bad playing it. If you are Beethoven, you don't even need to hear, let alone have a great piano! In a way, it is the student (beginner or intermediate) who needs a great piano to keep them going, not the great pianist or composer, who can hear the music in his or her head without even playing. Isn't there a story about a great pianist who learned an entire score on a train on his way to play the piece in concert?

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Given Beethoven was deaf (good catch RPA), what influence did that have on his move to romantic music as he wasn't encumbered by the limitations of harpischord or pianoforte?

Also isn't the real question about Mozart what he might have written having access to pianos of today?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by fathertopianist:
Also isn't the real question about Mozart what he might have written having access to pianos of today?
It might have been different. It wouldn't have been "better".

There are other "real questions" about Mozart, such as what he might have written had he lived longer...

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Agree 100% David. I'm sure music evolves for a variety of reasons and Mozart was key to the second half of the 18th century.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And if he had lived longer would he had worn out a tier 3 piano much faster than a tier 1.

And would that tier 3 be worth repairing or would it be better just to buy another tier 3 and keep manufactures producing disposable instruments.

BTW Suzuki is not a tier 2 or 3 piano and is what I am referring to as disposable.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Isn't there a story about a great pianist who learned an entire score on a train on his way to play the piece in concert?
I don't know about that one, but I know that Frederic Chiu requires the attendees at his music camps (all aspiring concert pianists) to learn pieces solely from reading with no practice time at the piano.

Also, Gustav Mahler did work out very large scale symphonic orchestration in a tiny cottage on the Bodensee with no instrument of any kind. So obviously, as Rank says certain performers and composers can hear it even when they can't hear it.

But even if Beethoven could carry on hearing everything inside his head, I still can't imagine that he would have turned down a decent digital with a good pair of headphones, just as I can't imagine he would have turned down surgery to correct or at least improve his hearing problem. I mean....the fact that you can do something doesn't mean that you necessarily want to. smile

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
It's the Indian, not the arrow! Although a good arrow surely would help.

Aloha!
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Beethoven was quite frustrated with the limitations of the pianos of his day even before he lost his hearing. He wanted more range, dynamics, volume and sheer power from his pianos and begged for more from the piano makers of the day. I think he would have loved a Steinway ! (or other great modern piano) wink

Sophia

I agree with sophial on this... just look at the evolution in his sonatas... from op. 31/2 on he had access to pianos with greater range and it wasn't only his growing maturity that eventually led to the evolution in his music.

From op. 57 (?) onward he owned the Broadwood grand which I believe had almost the same range as modern pianos do. I'm writing from memory here, so please don't cite me on this.

However, it is also a fact that while he was happy to have a more evoluted piano at his disposal, he considered the tone of his viennese grand (don't remember the name of the manufacturer) to be the most beautiful.

As already stated, please don't cite me on this, I'll have to check some of those things when I'm back home (don't have internet access there yet).

Proud owner of an August Förster 190 Serial No. 164163
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sonatas 31 and 32 always make for an interesting discussion. I've always wondered where Beethoven's mind was during the time he was composing #31. To me #31 takes him far away from where he had been while #32 brings him back to familiar territory.

If I were to go back and relearn #31, I'd be really happy on a Steinway, but even happier on a Petrof. The music is so crystalline. On #32 I think any Golden Era American banger would do just fine. laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
However, it is also a fact that while he was happy to have a more evoluted piano at his disposal, he considered the tone of his viennese grand (don't remember the name of the manufacturer) to be the most beautiful
vippo,

I would't be surprised it was an 'original' Joseph Brodmann? I read Beethoven certainly owned one as did Carl Maria von Weber.

Btw only in 1828 (the year after Beethoven died) did Ignaz Bösendorfer - pupil of Ignaz Brodmann - take over the factory form Joseph Brodmann.

schwammerl.

B
BDB Offline
B
Beethoven had a Graf, which I think came after the Broadwood. He went through pianos pretty quickly.

Semipro Tech
J
J
"Meet Bob: Bob wasn't happy with his ED remedy...that is until his recent Steinway purchase!! Now he's got more than 9 feet of thundering new 'confidence'...and the missus is D-lited..."

Not to rile anyone up, but these threads with their 'tier this' and 'tier that' and 'mine's better/bigger than yours' (overt or not) are soooooo tiresome...I had to inject a bit of twisted humor...

John Delmore
PTG Associate Member
"You don't have a Soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body."...C.S. Lewis
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
"You've got to have the best tier 1 piano to your music going?"

What is that supposed to mean?
Neither Mozart or Beethoven had a Steinway?
They didn't have electricity, cell phones, or the internet either, for god's sake.

What is the purpose of this thread?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
John D -- hilarious!

Rank Piano Amateur - "Isn't there a story about a great pianist who learned an entire score on a train on his way to play the piece in concert?"

That may have been Artur Rubinstein.

Charles R. Walter, Model 1500 (2009 w/Renner action), Satin Ebony
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission