2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lisztvsthalberg
....(given sufficiently good octave technique)....

....plus some other things.

I agree that if pressed to the wall grin we'd have to say that the nocturne is the most likely of the listed pieces to be appropriate. But IMO the most challenging aspect isn't even the octaves, but all the various stuff involved in that last appearance of the theme: the jumps in the L.H., bringing out the top voice, balancing all the rest (including keeping the overall dynamic to some semblance of what is indicated), and the occasional cross-rhythms.

That's very little 'easier' than the other pieces. In fact, we could say it isn't at all.

If we're not talking about having to do 'all that' ha ....then we're not talking about really playing the piece. And if we're not, then anybody can try playing anything, can't they? smile

F
F
Originally Posted by Mark_C

I agree that if pressed to the wall grin we'd have to say that the nocturne is the most likely of the listed pieces to be appropriate. But IMO the most challenging aspect isn't even the octaves, but all the various stuff involved in that last appearance of the theme: the jumps in the L.H., bringing out the top voice, balancing all the rest (including keeping the overall dynamic to some semblance of what is indicated), and the occasional cross-rhythms.

That's very little 'easier' than the other pieces. In fact, we could say it isn't at all.

If we're not talking about having to do 'all that' ha ....then we're not talking about really playing the piece. And if we're not, then anybody can try playing anything, can't they? smile
Well, you have made some very good points here. I would say that actually, if one is able to play this piece well, one will be very able to pick between any of the first three Scherzi and the third ballade, and also PERHAPS the Op 44 Polonaise or the Fantasie Op 49(my opinion, I know you don't agree, hehe). As I have said also, the ONLY reason this piece is to be considered the most suitable, is because of its length. The last two pages is just as demanding as anything in the first three Scherzi. Pick this piece! IMO it's better than almost all of the other pieces listed(I will get picked on for this, wont I?)! wink

Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
....IMO it's better than almost all of the other pieces listed(I will get picked on for this, wont I?)! wink

Not if nobody notices. grin

F
F
Very true! Anyway, we shouldn't say which one is better and which one isn't, all these piece are pure poetry and some of the greatest music ever composed for the Piano, but the Op 48 No 1 has a special place in my heart. It was THE piece that made me fall in love with Chopin smile

Anyway jorley, now I don't think anyone can help you more. You have gotten many suggestions one where to start. I suggest you start with Op 48. Some suggest you start with a Scherzo. Anyway stay away from the 2nd and 4th Ballade, the 4h Scherzo and the Polonaise-Fantasie.

L
L
Originally Posted by Mark_C

I still don't think that those couple of pages make this as "bad" as the others, because 1) it really is just a couple of pages and 2) those couple of pages are not as difficult as the really difficult stuff in the other pieces. Sure they are challenging, but I think they can be played reasonably well with a lesser technique than what is required by the other ones, given enough practice. Finally, the tempo is less strict than e.g. in the scherzos or the codas of the ballades, giving the performer more flexibility in terms of using rubato.

Having said all that, I would only suggest the nocturne as a "lesser evil" here and would like to reiterate my recommendation for op. 26 smile

J
Jorleyy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just have one last question.. How about the Polonaise in F# Minor Op 44? Is that one okay as a first major work, or is it alot harder than the Op 48 No 1 and the Scherzos?

Last edited by Jorleyy; 07/20/12 07:07 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by Jorleyy
I just have one last question...
You're questions remind me of this TV detective:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biW9BbWJtQU

except his famous line was meant to be funny.

Unless you are really just putting everyone on, my guess is you are not ready for any of the pieces you've mentioned.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/20/12 07:48 PM.
I agree.

Jorleyy, assuming you're not just jerking us around, I have to say that your questions give the impression that your level isn't yet up to any of the pieces you've been asking about and that you should spend more time first on simpler pieces.

And oh.....I think you've said "just one more question" a few times already. grin

BTW, Op. 44 was in your 1st post and we've already talked about it.

F
F
I agree with pianoloverus and Mark_C. I mean, why don't you just try? We have trying to give you plenty of help. So, for one last time, here are the pieces that you could try(it does sound like you should wait a while though):

Op 48 1
Scherzo No 1, 2, 3
Ballade No 3
Polonaise Op 44
Fantasie Op 49(Although I have many doubts on this one)
Ballade 1 (Same as Op 49)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find it interesting that Jorleyy asks questions and Franz Beebert answers them.. Considering they are both posting from the same place..

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 07/23/12 10:20 PM.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
I find it interesting that Jorleyy asks questions and Franz Beebert answers them.. Considering they are both posting from the same place..

Hmmmmm..... ha

Could this mean anything other than what it seems?

And if that's what it means, doesn't it have any ramification for those members? (Or, I guess, 'that member.') grin

Hi. That year I need a major composition by Romantic composer for my exams. I want to play a work by Chopin. Please help choose between his major works. Other pieces by Chopin that I've done: Etudes nos. 3, 8, 14, 24; Nocturnes nos. 1 (Bbm), 7 (C#m), 13 (Cm); Waltzes nos. 1 (Eb), 6 (Db), 7 (C#m) and Polonaise no. 2 (Ebm). So which piece amongst scherzi, ballades, sonatas and miscellaneous I should try?
Thanks.

Working on: Bach, P&F no. 12 from WTC I (Fm), Beethoven, Sonata no. 13 (Eb); Prokofiev, Sonata no. 1 (Fm) Scriabin, Etudes 8-11 (Bbm) and 8-12 (D#m); Rachmaninoff, Preludes 23-4 (D) and 23-5 (Gm); Chopin, Scherzo no. 3 (C#m).
B
BDB Offline
B
There are not that many major solo works by Chopin:

4 Ballades
4 Scherzi
4 Impromptus
3 Sonatas
Fantasie
Berceuse
Barcarolle
Tarantella

Only about 15 pieces that would probably qualify as major works. Just listen to them and find something that you like.

Semipro Tech
BDB #2012245 01/10/13 01:43 PM
I love the Berceuse and Tarantelle but I wouldn't say they're "major works" and I don't think they're considered that way by most, and I don't think most would consider the Impromptus in there either, with #2 being sort of an exception. BTW not that this would be of interest to Aminov, but if we're making a list like that, we could throw at least 1 Rondo into the mix. smile

Impromptus, Berceuse, Tarantelle and most Polonaises (except op. 44, 53 & 61) are not considered as major works in my college. My teacher told me that Scherzi is most accessible by its form, but not easiest technically and musically. Thanks for reminding me about Rondo, I'll give it a listen.

Last edited by Aminov Timur; 01/10/13 02:26 PM.

Working on: Bach, P&F no. 12 from WTC I (Fm), Beethoven, Sonata no. 13 (Eb); Prokofiev, Sonata no. 1 (Fm) Scriabin, Etudes 8-11 (Bbm) and 8-12 (D#m); Rachmaninoff, Preludes 23-4 (D) and 23-5 (Gm); Chopin, Scherzo no. 3 (C#m).
Online Content
One more suggestion for a major Chopin work although it's rarely played.

His Rondo a la Mazur Op.5. For me, it's his first really great work and one of his greatest "Mazurkas". I don't understand why it seems to be played so infrequently. Maybe some consider too lightweight or in his salon style but from the first time I heard it I thought it was sensational. And both Bozhanov and Trifonov played it in big competitons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSEmtSyRhjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuGonko-Wuk

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/10/13 03:10 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Don't forget the concerti.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
If one is technically prepared(now we don't know if the OP is) [...]

I think questioning the OP's technical skills and abilities is somewhat moot since he hasn't been here since July, 2012 when he started this thread.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
....but Franzie isn't here either! (His posts were a while back. That one was 'contemporaneous.')

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You could even say it was 'contemperroneous'?

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission