2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChazG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello,

I am used to playing on an upright piano for many years; and I currently own a Yamaha DGX keyboard.

I am interested in buying a new keyboard; but I am confused as to what gives the best piano sound and has the best piano feel.

I like the RD-700 NX stage piano because it has a great piano sound. However, I just tried playing a Roland digital piano and it sounds just as great but with less sounds. My intentions is to just use the keyboard at home and then maybe in the future travel with it.

I got more confused when I tried the Yamaha Arius digital piano, which also had a very rich sounding piano sound.

I am just going back and forth as to which one would be practical and good for having that grand piano sound.

I noticed that the Yamaha piano costs less than the Roland piano and keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Pkeys

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Both companies (and Kawai) offer many models so you really can't make a generalization that one brand costs less than another.

The Roland you mentioned is a stage piano (what many call a slab) and the Yamaha model is more along the lines of the Clavinova, a piece of furniture.

Go online to their respective web sites and see just how many models are offered.

When you used the word travel, did you mean move to another residence or move to jobs? If you're planning to work with the keyboard, a slab would be my only choice ... and a flight case ... and a piano stand.

I wouldn't use a Clavinova type piano on jobs. I've done that and it's always asking for problems.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
K
K
I also own a Yamaha DGX 640 but am selling it and getting a Kawai CA-63. Am excited. Might I ask why you getting rid of your DGX?

A very good comparison to the Roland RD 700nx would be the Yamaha S90xs or Yamaha S90es. They are worth giving them a try. As 'Dave Horne' noted, the Roland RD700nx is a stage piano and so are the Yamahas I have listed.
They are both very good pianos(more of keyboards/synthesizers than pianos) and ultimately, it will come down to your own personal preference.
Good luck with your search.

DGX 640 (Sold)
Kawai CA65 (Sold)
Kawai MP7
C
ChazG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello kangolboy,

I am planning to keep my Yamaha DGX. I will have to check out the Yamaha S90xs and Yamaha S90es.

I am strongly looking at the Roland keyboard.

Thank you,
Pkeys

C
ChazG Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have narrowed my choice to either purchase the Roland 700 NX or Roland HD -505. They are both good in piano sound. Of course, the Roland 700 NX has more sounds than the Roland HP-505.

Has anybody had experience with these digital keyboards?

Thank you,
Pkeys

Last edited by ChazG; 07/17/12 05:47 AM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
There's lots of experience on here with the RD700NX, it's well thought of (since the firmware bug fix), use search or see the two posts in the DPBSD thread. No speakers of course.

The HP505 is quite new and I don't recall anyone posting on here about that. Lots of past discussion on the precursors 305, 307 though.

They are different beasts of course, stage piano versus console. What do you want?

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 07/17/12 10:29 AM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
If you are going to travel with it, as you suggest, I think you will be happier with the 700NX (or even the FP7F). The HP505 is nice looking for a home, but my guess is that you pay dearly for that aesthetic (rather than paying for features, as you do in a stage piano). Personally I prefer a stage piano and a nice stand for it in the home, which also gives you the flexibility to take it outside the home.

R
R
get a RD-700 NX - very good sound and the best keys action plus road ready.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
You can't go wrong with the RD700NX it's the most competent stage piano on the market and it's Studio grand is the most realistic acoustic piano voice ever put into a electronic keyboard of any kind.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
B
BaR Offline
B
If you're looking for a digital piano, check out the Yamaha P-155, or wait until the fall and try the new P-105. I like Yamaha piano's personally and if you're just looking for mainly piano only, then these two will do the trick and they are also lighter which is much more conducive to travel.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
You can't go wrong with the RD700NX it's the most competent stage piano on the market and it's Studio grand is the most realistic acoustic piano voice ever put into a electronic keyboard of any kind.

I ended up getting a Roland RD700nx a couple of months ago as my "quiet" piano, and it's very good for what it is. I agree with Dr P that the "Studio Grand" voice is very good, and the feel and action of the keys is about as good as you can get in a digital without spending a lot more.

One word of caution: Even though it's a slab, the 700nx is a pretty heavy beast. I'm sure it's possible to travel with it and that people do, but there are other options out there that will provide a pretty good playing experience for a lot less weight.

I do want to get a true "travel piano" someday, and I'm not satisfied with any of the current options. For me, the 700nx -- nice as it is -- is suboptimal in terms of portability.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 07/19/12 11:32 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yamaha CP5 fan here. Like the Roland 700NX though, not the most portable option but still doable.

For what I do, Jazz, it has the best action and sound. And I've tried them all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission