2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,261 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1928661 07/18/12 05:16 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I was considering getting a rollout/folding type keyboard to lay on my desk and practice at work during my lunch hour. I've just started working on hand independence and need all the practice time between lessons that I can get. Does anybody have any experience or recommendations on this type of keyboard? Thanks.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jakester,

Welcome to Piano World and ABF. I have used a roll-up keyboard for years and recommend it. They lack proper touch and the keyboard is not quite the proper size (mine anyway) but they are certainly better than nothing.

Thanks,
Woody

[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
It's not a keyboard to your fingers. It might satisfy your eyes. I don't think it will help much at all. Personally, I would prefer nothing to something that doesn't respond the same way as a real keyboard.

Far better to concentrate on playing your hand independence exercises (Bach? he asks, hopefully) with a focussed mind and a slow count and let the brain do it's stuff through a good night's sleep.

If you really want to get better try playing a virtual keyboard in your head, lap or just on your desk with your eyes closed and your brain engaged.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
It's not a keyboard to your fingers. It might satisfy your eyes. I don't think it will help much at all. Personally, I would prefer nothing to something that doesn't respond the same way as a real keyboard.

Far better to concentrate on playing your hand independence exercises (Bach? he asks, hopefully) with a focussed mind and a slow count and let the brain do it's stuff through a good night's sleep.

If you really want to get better try playing a virtual keyboard in your head, lap or just on your desk with your eyes closed and your brain engaged.

nice wink

J
J
Welcome to the forums Jakester smile

I second what Zrtf90 said - don't buy that roll-out keyboard. Besides, they sound terrible and do break if not properly handled. Better to "practice" other stuff that's just as important, if not more: ear training, theory, sight reading, focused LISTENING. There are tons of good resources on the web if you have access to a computer at lunchtime. Just my 2cents.

John

"My piano is therapy for me" - Rick Wright.
Instrument: Rebuilt Kurzweil K2500XS and a bunch of great vintage virtual keyboards. New Kurzweil PC3X.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
If you want to practice hand independence without a keyboard, try this book, which has a quite a few two-heanded rhythm reading exercises:
Studying Rhythm
(I purposely linked to an older edition -- check out the price on the current edition eek )

When you're first staring out, you can also make the single-rhythm exercises into two-handed ones by tapping a steady beat with one hand while you're reading the rhythms from the page with the other hand (when you're first developing hand independence, this can be harder than it sounds).

When I"m back at the keyboard, I play a simple ostinato with the left hand while improvising notes to the right hand rhythm which I am reading from the book.

Improving your rhythm reading skills helps hugely with sight reading in general.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 07/18/12 08:22 PM. Reason: computer has been posting before i tell it to

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
If you want to practice hand independence without a keyboard, try this book, which has a quite a few two-heanded rhythm reading exercises:
Studying Rhythm
(I purposely linked to an older edition -- check out the price on the current edition eek)

I came into this thread for a totally different reason but thank you so much for the book recommendation. It's exactly what I've been on the lookout for. How did you first introduced to it? I orginally clicked thru to add my prespective that - depending on what one's goals are - time away from the piano, gaining new experiences to pour into my playing, has been benifical and something I never worry about. Writting from my job right now, I sympathize the desire to be back infront of the piano at any cost.

Bad spellers of the world untie!

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wower
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
Studying Rhythm
(I purposely linked to an older edition -- check out the price on the current edition eek)

I came into this thread for a totally different reason but thank you so much for the book recommendation. It's exactly what I've been on the lookout for. How did you first introduced to it?

I'm a theory geek and enjoy working from (outdated=affordable) editions of college theory texts, plus I always check out Amazon's suggestions for "people who bought this also bought that".

This one kept showing up and out of date editions were cheap, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was very happy to discover that it had a number of two-handed rhythm reading selections, as well as the standard one-handed ones.

I got into rhythm reading practice when I noticed that many of my sight reading issues were not caused by problems in note recognition (computer trainers had solved that!), but a lack of fluency in rhythm reading. And once I discovered some good rhythm reading books (many of them are not very musical), I discovered that it was something I enjoyed.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for all the feedback. It's very helpful and gives me a direction to take.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission