2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
piano transcriptions or original works?

Just curious if there are ones I haven't heard of and how many fall in this category.

Some I know: Volodos, Hough, Trifonov, Atwood, Mei Ting Sun, Katsaris, Berezovsky, Chiu, Tao, Bax, Biegel, Say, Golka, Hamelin, Cameron, Pletnev, Finnissy.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/11/12 06:03 PM.
B
BDB Offline
B
Akioshi, Amos, Barron, Brubeck, Corea, Hancock, Mehldau, O'Riley, Rzewski, Taylor, Tyner, Werner, Zeitlin, just to name a few.

Semipro Tech
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
kissin

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by boo1234
kissin
Anything other than his juvenile works? In one interview he said he stopped composing around the age of 15.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/11/12 06:02 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Angela Hewitt. BWV641, BWV614, BWV643

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

D
D
Check out Esa Pekka Salonen's work. He's nuts. Amazing modern works.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mustonen

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Danielsan

He's not considered to be a pianist, AFAIK.

D
D
Originally Posted by wr

You're a ridiculous bunch of people of this forum. Have to "correct" everything and rarely in a nice way.

He's a conductor, but he wrote a bunch of piano works. Gloria plays some of them. He wrote a work called Dichotomie. I can't find it on Youtube, but I bought it on Amazon. It's pretty.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

You're a ridiculous bunch of people of this forum. Have to "correct" everything and rarely in a nice way.

He's a conductor, but he wrote a bunch of piano works. Gloria plays some of them. He wrote a work called Dichotomie. I can't find it on Youtube, but I bought it on Amazon. It's pretty.

I'm not sure why sticking to a fairly specific subject is "ridiculous". I know Salonen has written piano music. So have many other composers who aren't pianists. What do they have to do with the subject of this thread?

B
BDB Offline
B
Considering that the subject of the thread has changed since it was first posted...

Semipro Tech
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Anderson & Roe compose their own transcriptions:

http://www.andersonroe.com/scores/

Sam
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianojerome
Anderson & Roe compose their own transcriptions...

I really appreciate how inventive and creative they are. It makes me wish that I didn't hate every aspect of their videos, from the very depth of my soul. Torture for me to watch.

-J

D
D
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

I'm not sure why sticking to a fairly specific subject is "ridiculous". I know Salonen has written piano music. So have many other composers who aren't pianists. What do they have to do with the subject of this thread?

Honestly, I didn't really think about it. I just posted a living composer that I liked. I didn't think it would matter that much. But apparently it does. But it doesn't really matter, it only matter to you because you like conflict.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

Honestly, I didn't really think about it. I just posted a living composer that I liked. I didn't think it would matter that much. But apparently it does. But it doesn't really matter, it only matter to you because you like conflict.

I didn't really think it mattered that much that I made the comment, but apparently it does, since you have responded as you have. To me, it was just so that nobody got the wrong idea about Salonen and think he was a pianist, if they didn't know who he was.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
But it doesn't really matter, it only matter to you because you like conflict.

I fear you may be mistaken...I'm not insisting you are, of course laugh Just...I've noted a general air of formality here which, unfortunately, can often be seen as coldness which, obviously, can be taken as hostility and in turn might be misinterpreted as a thirst for conflict; I'm being rather formal myself, but my intent is purely to try and make you feel less affronted, potentially isolated even laugh Um...nobody really *likes* genuine conflict...do they?
As for the thread laugh I so hastily rushed to say Gould...if only he were still alive frown Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
Considering that the subject of the thread has changed since it was first posted...

Looks to me like the subject stayed the same - only the subject line changed.

D
D
[/quote]

I didn't really think it mattered that much that I made the comment, but apparently it does, since you have responded as you have. To me, it was just so that nobody got the wrong idea about Salonen and think he was a pianist, if they didn't know who he was.
[/quote]

Sorry, I've just had some really rude people on here so I got a little edgy.

Originally Posted by FSO
But it doesn't really matter, it only matter to you because you like conflict.

I fear you may be mistaken...I'm not insisting you are, of course laugh Just...I've noted a general air of formality here which, unfortunately, can often be seen as coldness which, obviously, can be taken as hostility and in turn might be misinterpreted as a thirst for conflict; I'm being rather formal myself, but my intent is purely to try and make you feel less affronted, potentially isolated even laugh Um...nobody really *likes* genuine conflict...do they?
As for the thread laugh I so hastily rushed to say Gould...if only he were still alive frown Xxx

That's true. Though I can say there are plenty of people who love conflict. It give them a rush. But yes, it's that, and there are some people who are pretty rude, not just confrontational, but in a condescending and snobby way. But at least there are some nice people smile And I probably have some opinions that are likely to irritate some.

Also:

I found this. I've never really thought to look at GG's own compositions other than his fugue he wrote for chorus (thought I love just about everything else he does that I've heard). Wow, he was an incredible composer. Not surprising since he was Glenn Gould after all.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I just...a little to and fro is nice, but to enjoy conflict...it seems almost inconceivable to me. Rudeness, snobbery and condescension though...well, they're not really intended, are they? I suppose sometimes they are...but anyway, to the point laugh Isn't everyone nice, deep down? Once you've peeled away all the layers of insecurity and vulnerability, we all just like being nice, don't we? Perhaps that's presumptive, but it seems...right? laugh Gould was, is and, I would expect, will forever be amazing to the majority; if he spent as much time composing as the greats did...well, we wouldn't have so many of his performances frown
Um...I've thought of some living pianist composers: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/39/1/Composer%27s%20Lounge.html laugh

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Not so ridiculous considering the question was regarding LIVING PIANISTS... not conductors, nor cellists, nor violinists, nor anyone other musician, but again, LIVING PIANISTS. The only thing ridiculous is that you find others ridiculous for correcting your incorrect offering.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission