2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
That was Tom Brislin playing. Perhaps you've heard of him, he actually substituted for Rick Wakeman on tour for Yes...

... Needless to say, I look forward to hearing and seeing videos of your work very soon.

This strikes me as rather rude. You make it sound like only those with serious performance cred are qualified to comment on Casio videos.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
The good thing about Casio pianos is that you can try them for yourself, playing whatever style of music you like. I would expect that these new models will be in stores well before the Christmas rush. With manufacturers such as Kawai, you are very often totally reliant on videos/sound samples in making your purchasing decision.

Personally, I didn't mind Tom Brislin's improvisation, as it revealed the basic character of the new Privia. My initial reaction was reasonably positive, although I thought I still detected the rapid decay issue. I hope to get to play one in a few weeks, if my local GC deigns to carry one.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I think we should try to encourage Mike to say around on here. There will be issues that he can advise upon and perhaps even resolve and he could be a great resource for Casio owners. We all know how much we value Kawai James around here. All the manufacturers should have a PianoWorld envoy!

Steve

Dewster,
You're right, I probably shouldn't have added that last comment and I'm sorry that I did. My apologies if that came across as rude.   I just found his post rather puzzling.  Never in my career have I seen the what a performer played criticized, followed up by the words hate and sick about the same performance of a product demonstration.  Regardless of Tom's history and talent,  wouldn't it have been more constructive to say what you'd want to hear rather the trash what was played? We've got some time before these new Privia begin shipping, so I'd be happy to take requests on what you want to hear. In the meantime, I have a lot of audio and some additional video from NAMM that I'll try to get posted as quickly as possible. 

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by EssBrace
I think we should try to encourage Mike to say around on here.

I hoped that would be the case after the XW launch, when Mike popped up on this forum after a long absence. Although I expect he's very busy, I too would like it if he could participate more widely (i.e not just at product launch times).

Sorry to talk about you in the third person, Mike! wink

Only a million miles off-topic, but if you like watching good improv and musicians having a great time with a well-known song, check out THIS.

mabraman, 2015
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think we should try to encourage Mike to say around on here. There will be issues that he can advise upon and perhaps even resolve and he could be a great resource for Casio owners. We all know how much we value Kawai James around here. All the manufacturers should have a PianoWorld envoy!

Steve

I agree. My fault I suppose, I tend to see an "argument from authority" around every tree.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
All the manufacturers should have a PianoWorld envoy!

I can be your envoy for "Over The Hill Piano Company"

[Linked Image]

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You're right, I probably shouldn't have added that last comment and I'm sorry that I did. My apologies if that came across as rude.   I just found his post rather puzzling.  Never in my career have I seen the what a performer played criticized, followed up by the words hate and sick about the same performance of a product demonstration.  Regardless of Tom's history and talent,  wouldn't it have been more constructive to say what you'd want to hear rather the trash what was played? We've got some time before these new Privia begin shipping, so I'd be happy to take requests on what you want to hear. In the meantime, I have a lot of audio and some additional video from NAMM that I'll try to get posted as quickly as possible. 

Mike I apologize for jumping on you, I suppose it's too easy to perceive intent that just isn't there within a text post.

Some do tend to let their hair down around here (guilty!) so if a comment seems overly harsh often it's just off-the-cuff and shouldn't be taken to heart.

I don't want to put words in Slipperykeys mouth, but some of the negativity may be due to frustration with the "flurry of notes" phenomenon so common with DP demos and built-in demo songs. This prevents one from hearing what individual sustained notes sound like. (And I must confess that jazz noodling isn't exactly my cup of tea either.)

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Mike,
We enjoy having you post here on this forum. I think someone should commend you on the work you have been doing for Casio over the last three years. The knowledge and support you have given users on the XW-P1 has been phenominal. There's no other manufacturer that I can think of that provides tutorials, workshops, product info and product launches quite the way that Casio has been doing. I appreciate the knowledge and straight foward approach you bring. You are doing a great job.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 07/15/12 01:41 PM.
Originally Posted by voxpops

I hoped that would be the case after the XW launch, when Mike popped up on this forum after a long absence. Although I expect he's very busy, I too would like it if he could participate more widely (i.e not just at product launch times).

Sorry to talk about you in the third person, Mike! wink

I'm reading the forum all the time. Your feedback is critical for Casio's future. So I read it all, the good stuff as well as the criticisms not only here but on other forums. There honestly haven't been too many XW questions here on this forum and understand I have to watch some of the other high traffic XW threads such as the one on Harmony Central that has over 400 posts and almost 60,000 views.

Don't worry about talking about Mike in the third person, Mike does it all the time. wink

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Mike,
We enjoy having you post here on this forum. I think someone should commend you on the work you have been doing for Casio over the last three years. The knowledge and support you have given users on the XW-P1 has been phenominal. There's no other manufacturer that I can think of that provides tutorials, workshops, product info and product launches quite the way that Casio has been doing. I appreciate the knowledge and straight foward approach you bring. You are doing a great job.

Thanks Galaxy4t,
I just looked the calendar. 4 years ago today was my first day at Casio. Time flies when you're having fun!

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
K
K

Steve

+1 thumb

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
I'm reading the forum all the time. Your feedback is critical for Casio's future. So I read it all, the good stuff as well as the criticisms not only here but on other forums. There honestly haven't been too many XW questions here on this forum and understand I have to watch some of the other high traffic XW threads such as the one on Harmony Central that has over 400 posts and almost 60,000 views.

Yes, synth stuff doesn't feature too prominently here, and I understand you must go where the interest lies. Just remember, though, Piano World is the Rolls-Royce of keyboard forums! wink

I agree with everyone who's said that it's really good to have you contributing here, when you have the time and energy. Heck, we need an industry rep who's not totally besotted with red paint!!! grin

mabraman, 2015
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Ouch!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
B
Can you ladies stop fighting so Mike can show us a picture of the PX-750 and the PX-850. I want more info on these before I pull the trigger on an F-120

M
M
Two thank-yous:

pops: Thank you for sharing that very enjoyable "Billie Jean" clip.

slipperykeys: Thank you for speaking truth to power.

Privia PX-750
[Linked Image]

Privia PX-850
[Linked Image]

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
K
K
Privia PX-750
[Linked Image]

Privia PX-850
[Linked Image]

Wow...very nice! I'm very much looking forward to seeing the spec sheets for the PX-750 and PX-850, and actually playing them. Looks like I'm going to put off buying a DP until these new Privias hit the streets! Any news about when they'll be available?

Cheers,

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
The PX-150 and PX-350 should ship before the end of September here in the US. The PX-750 and PX-850 are targeted for October.

The PX-750 has a similar specification to the PX-150, the primary difference is the included stand with key cover.

The PX-850 is a different animal. In addition to the many physical differences in the cabinet, like the opening lid on top, the PX-850 has different capabilities of the AiR chip unlocked. Here is a quick run down:

18 Instrument Tones (5 are piano)
256 Note Polyphony
Damper Resonance
Hammer Response
Sympathetic Resonance
Lid simulation (This is separate from what the PX-850 cabinet will do) you can choose whether you ant the lid on the Grand Piano open, closed, half or removed.
1/4" Outputs
USB to Device with Audio Recording

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
So the 850 is the only model with sympathetic string resonance? It seems a shame that it's not in any compact/portable model (i.e. the 350).

Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission