2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
1) I wasn't off topic.

2) You can agree with whoever you want, that doesn't bother me. And But the fact remains - music is subjective. Stores is right to a degree. No one should need to rely on a recording to understand a piece, but there is still nothing wrong with listening before learning. Anyone who says otherwise is full of their own ideals. Also, to say that listening before learning somehow stops creativity or makes your mediocre is absurd.

3) Stores' "posting style" is more than blunt - it's rude, disrespectful and disgusting, and I have every right to say so. Never did I tell stores to stop posting, I'm just speaking my mind - something people should do more often, and I'm glad you're doing it too. (even though you're trying to victimize me)

I'm stepping away from this thread now.

F
F
I am with you on this one Scherzojoe. Actually I don't see how anyone can't be. Sure, if stores doesn't think that one way is not the right way to do things on, then so be it, FOR HIM.. In other words, he doesn't have to agree. BUT, literally trying to master and being rude to a person who thinks in another way than he does, is not okay, and this is not the first time I see stores do this.

Originally Posted by stores
To rely on a recording to decide so much for you is to say that you're lazy. You need a crutch to lean on. Educate yourself and do some homework. Spend less time listening to Joe Blow's recording and posting replies on PW and practise, practise, practise. You didn't begin playing with the grand aim of achieving that "sub amateur level" did you (if so, then all I can say is "Wow")? Get yourself a good teacher and get busy.

Well said.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The funny thing is, if you take what stores posts, and then read it aloud as if it's spoken, then it sounds pretty normal like a teacher that pushes his/her students to excel. I guess it's hard to translate that to text though.

And it is pretty true that the existence of recordings tends to sway how we play certain pieces - think of the skewing of rhythm in the Heroic Polonaise that everybody plays (shortening of the dotted rhythm), the rhythmic distortion of the theme in Liszt's Sonetto 104, the textual alterations of Scriabin's op.8 no.12 etude, or how some amateurs try to sound like Gould, and you'll realize that too many people have been learning by ear, and not from the text.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
....think of the skewing of rhythm in the Heroic Polonaise that everybody plays (shortening of the dotted rhythm)....

That's not "skewing" (if we're talking about the same thing), it's what a polonaise is! That's the polonaise rhythm.
And in my experience "everybody" doesn't play it; not enough people play it!

And in Chopin's other polonaises, it seems hardly anybody does it at all.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

Really? You do realise that the phonograph hasn't always been with us (not to mention electricity), yes?

Yes. But electricity and a phonograph are not requirements for listening to other pianists. Chopin and Liszt, Horowitz and Rachmaninoff managed to listen to each other's playing. I don't recall Scherzojoe limiting "listening" to recordings only.

Originally Posted by Old Man

Perhaps Stores is such an accomplished pianist that he is able to simply sight-read anything placed in front of him.

I am, yes, and so are many others here. It is not rocket science... it's simply learning to read a score and developing your technique sufficiently enough to work your way through anything.

Ah, now we've got to the crux of the matter. Because for those of us less gifted than you, it is indeed rocket science. And no amount of technique development will make it less so. What you and many others on this forum have is a gift so precious, that you barely take notice of it. You may believe your ability is due to your countless hours of practice, but it is not. You have a native talent for which you should thank any god that you may believe in, every day of your life. Practicing only burnishes what already exists. I agree that practice may improve my playing in very small increments, but practice will never make perfect if the basic talent is not there.

No one needs to listen to someone else play a work to decide if it's within their capabilities. If they do, then they should go to their teacher(s) and ask for every penny back,

I agree, and did not mean to say otherwise. I would absolutely need to look at a score before deciding if it was within my capability. And I've never had a teacher, except for a few months in my teens, so there are no refunds to be harvested. grin

I've never understood this thinking that says "do I like a piece well enough to invest my time in it." What? There is not a piece of great music which ISN'T worthwhile enough for one to "invest his time" in, if, as OldMan here states, one is still grounding himself in the early stages of learning (which, of course, we all are doing really).

So, you're saying that you like every piece of music written by Bach, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, etc., and you would be willing to invest any amount of time to perfect them? Since they're all great, you would simply begin with Opus 1, and move forward sequentially? Or are you saying that those of us in the "early stages of learning" should content ourselves with any crumbs that happen to fall our way? Sorry, I still have preferences, even among the great composers.

I just can't wrap my head around someone saying they don't like a work, if they can't play the damned thing.

Who said that? In fact the opposite is true: most of the works I truly love (e.g. Chopin ballades) are the very pieces I cannot play, and never will. And while I know I should appreciate those few pieces that I can play, it is very limiting.

To rely on a recording to decide so much for you is to say that you're lazy. You need a crutch to lean on. Educate yourself and do some homework. Spend less time listening to Joe Blow's recording and posting replies on PW and practise, practise, practise.

I have a day job (IT), which requires 24x7 on-call status, so "practise, practise, practise" is not an option for me. But I may take your advice about posting on Pianist Corner. I am out of my league (pianistically speaking), and do not wish to throw this or any other thread off course.

F
F
I am starting not to like this thread, it's starting to change subject.. So here you go jorley:

Start with the Op 48 No 1, it's the shortest one and probably the easiest, it's also one of his better pieces IMO. Though I have to warn you, The Doppio Movimento is VERY hard, and you will have to work hard on it. It only lasts for about two pages which is good, because I can tell you this: The Doppio Movimento section is probably at LEAST as hard as everything in the 2nd and 3rd Scherzo for example. Therefore, this piece is a good piece to start with before the major works for the following reasons:

1. It's shorter than the major works.
2. If you can handle the last to pages, you should be able to handle the first three Scherzos.
3. It's an absolute masterpiece.

B
BDB Offline
B
Or start with the Tarentella. Perhaps not too major, but not too difficult, either, and a lot of fun.

Semipro Tech
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Really? You do realise that the phonograph hasn't always been with us (not to mention electricity), yes?

Yes. But electricity and a phonograph are not requirements for listening to other pianists. Chopin and Liszt, Horowitz and Rachmaninoff managed to listen to each other's playing. I don't recall Scherzojoe limiting "listening" to recordings only.

But we're talking about RECORDINGS. Hello.

Ah, now we've got to the crux of the matter. Because for those of us less gifted than you, it is indeed rocket science. And no amount of technique development will make it less so. What you and many others on this forum have is a gift so precious, that you barely take notice of it. You may believe your ability is due to your countless hours of practice, but it is not. You have a native talent for which you should thank any god that you may believe in, every day of your life. Practicing only burnishes what already exists. I agree that practice may improve my playing in very small increments, but practice will never make perfect if the basic talent is not there.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. No amount of talent will suffice without those countless hours of practice. People seem to have this idea that accomplished musicians just sit down and "VOILA"... out comes this heaven-sent sound. What they don't realise is that a person works his a$$ off to become that accomplished player. Practising is not simply a burnishing, but think what you like.

No one needs to listen to someone else play a work to decide if it's within their capabilities. If they do, then they should go to their teacher(s) and ask for every penny back,

I agree, and did not mean to say otherwise. I would absolutely need to look at a score before deciding if it was within my capability. And I've never had a teacher, except for a few months in my teens, so there are no refunds to be harvested. grin

I'm glad you agree with the first part here. Maybe, however, you might want to invest in a good teacher. Working with someone can make a world of difference.

To rely on a recording to decide so much for you is to say that you're lazy. You need a crutch to lean on. Educate yourself and do some homework. Spend less time listening to Joe Blow's recording and posting replies on PW and practise, practise, practise.

I have a day job (IT), which requires 24x7 on-call status, so "practise, practise, practise" is not an option for me. But I may take your advice about posting on Pianist Corner. I am out of my league (pianistically speaking), and do not wish to throw this or any other thread off course.

I'm sure your job must be an important one to beckon you 24/7 and I'm well aware that many students work full time jobs. I have no problem with that whatsoever. All I am saying is that most of us don't do enough homework, or don't WANT to do the homework and so take whatever shortcut there is, which, in this case is the recording. I can't tell you how many times I've heard students (not my own mind you... they know better) say, "I wasn't sure how to play these ornaments, so I went on Youtube and listened to Glenn Gould" (example). Why?????? Because the student hasn't been educated well enough, or more often than not (and more than most are going to be willing to swallow) are too lazy to educate themselves when there is a TON of information available regarding just such a thing (the trill example).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

But we're talking about RECORDINGS. Hello.

Ha, ha. Well I guess I didn't notice that part. But I do think it's a distinction without a difference. Whether you listen to a recording or a live performance, you may be influenced (or in your view, "tainted") by the interpretation.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. No amount of talent will suffice without those countless hours of practice. People seem to have this idea that accomplished musicians just sit down and "VOILA"... out comes this heaven-sent sound. What they don't realise is that a person works his a$$ off to become that accomplished player. Practising is not simply a burnishing, but think what you like.

You're wrong about what I said. I agree that every accomplished musician has indeed worked his or her a$$ off, and I would never devalue such dedication and commitment to music. And yes, practicing is absolutely indispensable to any performing artist. What I was trying to say is that without an innate musical ability, one could dedicate every waking moment to practicing, and it would come to naught. Possibly some improvement at the margins, but nothing that would prepare one for a performing career.

I'm sure your job must be an important one to beckon you 24/7 and I'm well aware that many students work full time jobs.

Should have specified that I work in "healthcare IT". Hence, the need for an "always up" system.

But I think we are irritating some of our fellow posters, so maybe we should agree to disagree on a few things and let it go. The OP is looking for advice. I've enjoyed our conversation, and I enjoy your posts in general. You may not deliver your messages with a pretty bow on top, but they're usually refreshingly free of ambiguity. smile

You may not deliver your messages with a pretty bow on top, but they're usually refreshingly free of ambiguity.
There's miles of room between delivering messages with a pretty bow on top and delivering them in an arrogant/nasty fashion. It doesn't have to be a choice of one or the other.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You may not deliver your messages with a pretty bow on top, but they're usually refreshingly free of ambiguity.
There's miles of room between delivering messages with a pretty bow on top and delivering them in an arrogant/nasty fashion. It doesn't have to be a choice of one or the other.

You, without a doubt, are one of THE rudest posters at times and as a result I always find it sort of comical when you "tut-tut" someone.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

BDB #1926918 07/15/12 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by BDB
Or start with the Tarentella. Perhaps not too major, but not too difficult, either, and a lot of fun.

It's VERY hard.

Unless, as was said in some other posts, we're talking about not playing it half well. Then it's pretty easy. ha

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by BDB

It's VERY hard.

I've always rather enjoyed it, even if it's not exactly on the top of the pile. wink

I'll always remember a party wherein a friend of mine (never at a loss for an outspoken opinion) blurted out 'that's the one piece Chopin BOMBED OUT on!'

Jason
A
A
Its funny how the original question always turned into something else...

But anyway, I actually played Nocturne Op 48 no. 1 first out of the list.

With Scherzos, I did learn Scherzo no. 2 first, then no. 3. I am currently tossing between learning no. 1 or no. 4, but I do like no. 4 better.

I think a good way is to decide is just to sight read the music listed and see how you go. The other day I was trying to play andante spianato and grande polonaise brillante op. 22, while the andante spianato is doable, I had a heck out of a time with the grand polonaise, sounds more like grand noise the way I played it. So I shelved it for now to come back later. I sometimes adopt a strategy to play just a part of a difficult music one day at a time and then piece them altogether later down the track.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus

You, without a doubt, are one of THE rudest posters at times and as a result I always find it sort of comical when you "tut-tut" someone.
Glad you find it comical because I'll probably continue to criticize the nature of your posts if they remain the same. You criticize and talk down to most everyone. I criticize a handful of posters occasionally and you'll remain one of them as long as you deserve the criticism.

Knowledge is not an excuse nastiness or arrogance.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 07/15/12 07:29 AM.
Working with someone can make a world of difference.

Absolutely. Now if only a certain someone worked by webcam and was taking students. grin I've been following this thread in ernest and thought it only fair to elaborate my opinion for the record. (Just a heads up, some are on ignore so replies might not make much sense). It shouldn't come as a surprise I align to stores' philosophy of no short cuts but will express shock so many are in disagreement. Specific to listening to recordings in preparation for a piece only a question comes to mind. If stores could clarify his position slightly: I'm sure you're not suggesting previous accidental exposure to the piece in routine listening is damaging? I'm also curious as to what you think about situations where hearing a piece somewhere ignites interest to learn the piece later. Much obliged.

Last edited by wower; 07/15/12 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling!

Bad spellers of the world untie!
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
wower, great post! You've clarified the debate much better than anyone so far.

You used the phrase "in preparation for a piece", which is key to this discussion. I think stores and scherzojoe are far apart on this one, and frankly, I tend to agree with Joe: Listen if you want, or don't listen. But I can certainly see both sides, and stores' position at least makes sense in this context.

But I think that is entirely different than the casual exposure that most of us have experienced over decades. We are, after all, lovers of music. So how could we possibly know which pieces we may want to tackle some day, and thus avoid? That is how I was viewing this discussion, and that's why stores' position seemed, at first blush, patently ridiculous.

I've been listening to Chopin's Ballade No. 1 for close to 50 years, and mostly by Horowitz. I also have a version by Perahia. As much as I respect Perahia as a pianist, VL's is far superior. Now, if I've been listening to Horowitz play this piece for 5 decades, and know it inside and out, how could I possibly remove this memory from my brain, short of a lobotomy. Assuming I had the technical equipment to pursue it (which I don't), must I scratch it from my aspirational repertoire, simply because it could never be truly "my own"? I think not.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Adding to wower and Old Man, there is surely a difference between a) listening to works for pleasure, b)listening to works with the intention of understanding how different pianists interpret them, whether or not those works are being studied and c)listening to works with the specific intention of trying to learn how to perform them, in other words copying.

For me only c) is illegitimate. Neither a) nor b) deny the development of one's own interpretation, although they may make you be more rigorous in discerning your individual style. Eschewing a), b) and c) and relying only on written sources might produce in a musical genius a new and convincing approach to, say, Beethoven, but I would guess for most of us it would not. And do not teachers push you off the piano stool and demonstrate how a particular passage might be played? Mine did, literally. (A wise teacher of course would not insist on a replication of his/her interpretation, as indeed mine did not)

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by sandalholme
Adding to wower and Old Man, there is surely a difference between a) listening to works for pleasure, b)listening to works with the intention of understanding how different pianists interpret them, whether or not those works are being studied and c)listening to works with the specific intention of trying to learn how to perform them, in other words copying.

For me only c) is illegitimate. Neither a) nor b) deny the development of one's own interpretation, although they may make you be more rigorous in discerning your individual style. Eschewing a), b) and c) and relying only on written sources might produce in a musical genius a new and convincing approach to, say, Beethoven, but I would guess for most of us it would not. And do not teachers push you off the piano stool and demonstrate how a particular passage might be played? Mine did, literally. (A wise teacher of course would not insist on a replication of his/her interpretation, as indeed mine did not)

Another great post !!!!!! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission